Christian Benteke

Kwan

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

He should never have gone to Liverpool. It was completely the wrong move for him and many on here saw it.

Then Brenda was sacked about 3 months later and in came Klopp who was never going to play to Benteke's strengths. If he'd gone to Tottenham when they first came in for him who knows where he might have ended up. Shame - I loved him as a player here.

So the lesson is, when the first club comes to get you from Villa, f^%#*#g run! :D

• Haha 1

I said to my Liverpool supporting mates at the time who weren’t thrilled with the signing, you have sign possibly one of the best strikers in the world, he can do it all and score goals from anywhere.

Turns out I knew f-all and his career nose dived massively…

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He was on the cusp of being truly world class. Even now, there aren't many strikers who were doing what he was doing in a Villa shirt. Could create a goal out of nothing. Hold up play was amazing. Had a very good first touch and could run with the ball. If we had 2012-15 Benteke in our team right now I'd tip us for top 6.

If we'd have had 2012-15 Benteke a few years earlier when O'Neil was in charge we'd have actually got top 4 and be one of the top 6 already. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

49 goals and in 101 appearances for us, genuinely thought he would go on to be one of the all time greats of the PL era (not necessarily with us, especialy after his first season). Coming up to the 10 year anniversary of signing for villa, just hasnt hit the heights unfortunately. From his own perspective he has made a good living and chipped in with goals in games for them and can still do a job upfront but dosent seem to be number 1 and get the feeling he is happy to get paid handsomely and be a substitute.

Did his achilles injury hinder him a fair bit do we think? Swear he lost a yard of pace.

Unplayable. Could score goals out of nothing. That goal against WBA away one of my favs ever.

Edited by Tom13

58 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Did his achilles injury hinder him a fair bit do we think? Swear he lost a yard of pace.

Unplayable. Could score goals out of nothing. That go against WBA away one of my favs ever.

yeah i think it did do him some damage tbf, i remember he was quite fast and mixed with his physicality he really was unplayable. he stopped trying to drive at people and take them on after that, and although he did still score a lot of headers, it took him down a notch. Before that he used to be Lukaku-like in running at the defence (the peak WBA and Everton Lukaku) and i honestly thought Benteke would be the one to have the brighter future in the international setup.

That WBA goal was great, he scored so many good ones for us. I liked his one against liverpool away in 2012, he kept running and was able to use his strength to then finish the ball from close range. in that game he got a nice backheel assist for weimann who finished from close range. It was a great CF performance from him that day and held the ball up really well. hard to believe that game was 9 and a half years ago

• Like 1

Just now, Villatillidie95 said:

yeah i think it did do him some damage tbf, i remember he was quite fast and mixed with his physicality he really was unplayable. he stopped trying to drive at people and take them on after that, and although he did still score a lot of headers, it took him down a notch. Before that he used to be Lukaku-like in running at the defence (the peak WBA and Everton Lukaku) and i honestly thought Benteke would be the one to have the brighter future in the international setup.

So did I, he had a lot more to his game.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Remember when that defender tried to barge him off the ball and ended up rebounding off him and breaking his own shoulder? 😂😂

Smalling absolutely died. 😂 (In what was another play well, score two, and not win game against Man U.)

12 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Should have never left… but he made his bed and has had to lie in it since…

Im sure he sits and thinks about us from time to time… then checks his bank balance…

You think all players should just stay at Villa forever don't you?

9 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Should have never left… but he made his bed and has had to lie in it since…

Im sure he sits and thinks about us from time to time… then checks his bank balance…

More than just money

He had the chance to go play CL and win stuff, with hindsight he didn't do either of those but with where we were as a club I don't blame him

Dont know if footballers ever do take a step back and watch a load of football, do some tactical analysis before a potential transfer and say nah my face doesn't fit there, part of that confidence and arrogance of being a top striker doesn't fit with doing that 

The achilles injury did for him any real chance of reaching his peak

Still had a good run of form got a belting move but took more than a yard of pace off him and took a good 3 years off the back end of his career.

Even last year when he was bagging goals you could barely believe he wasn't 40.

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You think all players should just stay at Villa forever don't you?

Not necessarily…

Mellberg left for a big club in another country… Didn’t play against us… Still think he is fantastic.

Albrighton didn’t want to leave in the first place… Got told lie after lie by the management at the time, got released and then went on to do really well for himself… Happy to see it and wish him well…

Carew never wanted to leave but was forced to… Love the bloke

Laursen and Petrov were both forced into retirement through I’ll health… Great players of their era…

But as soon as someone actively WANTS to leave us… They can go **** themselves

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Not necessarily…

Mellberg left for a big club in another country… Didn’t play against us… Still think he is fantastic.

Albrighton didn’t want to leave in the first place… Got told lie after lie by the management at the time, got released and then went on to do really well for himself… Happy to see it and wish him well…

Carew never wanted to leave but was forced to… Love the bloke

Laursen and Petrov were both forced into retirement through I’ll health… Great players of their era…

But as soon as someone actively WANTS to leave us… They can go **** themselves

What a deluded way to view the world. Each to their own

Â