Christian Benteke

Kwan

I can’t see why anyone would want him back other than sentiment, the bloke can hardly move anymore. 

Was easy to forget he was on the pitch yesterday other than hearing his name followed by “is offside”. Very sad to see the decline of the big man.

• Like 3

A player who is without ambition anymore and just turning up to earn his crust.  We want players who have ambition and will work for the good of the team, which we saw in abundance from all 9 outfield players in the second half yesterday. 

• Like 3

Yep he doesn't get in our team from yesterday, might replace Davis on the bench 

There was a quick glimpse of what he was the ball in control off the thigh spin and shot deflected wide...only to be given offside, that was my memory of him at villa, controlling difficult passes in to him at just about any height on his body spinning and shooting, probably the best I've ever seen do it but doing that once a game and then sod all else doesn't pay the bills 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Anyone still think we should have signed him as backup?

Nah. Complete antithesis of the type of player we go for now. 

• Like 1

I’m no doubt in the minority but something in me would still have him here as a back up to Watkins.

I know I’m mad and looking at him with rose tinted glasses but if any club could get the best out of him I think we could.  Not going to happen though and I’m ok with that.

He's actually been in semi decent form last few weeks but looks like that was his 3 good games of the season. Total shadow of what he was for us now.

I still bet someone will put him forward as serious candidate in the winter transfer thread though! It's VT tradition. @bobzy don't let me down!:lol:

48 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I’m no doubt in the minority but something in me would still have him here as a back up to Watkins.

I know I’m mad and looking at him with rose tinted glasses but if any club could get the best out of him I think we could.  Not going to happen though and I’m ok with that.

He was perfect for us back when we had him, but there's no way he fits the system Smith has us playing now. Imagine him in place of Ollie yesterday. Would we have still won so easily?

I do look at the possibility of him coming back with rose tinted glasses myself as he's one of my favourite ever players for us, but it definitely shouldn't happen. I advocated for it earlier in this thread, but I've changed my mind. He wouldn't work for us anymore.

• Like 1

In one way he'd definitely be an improvement, as our current backup is Keinan **** Davis. It's almost impossible to imagine a downgrade on our current backup option. There are probably better options though, and he's starting for Palace fairly regularly now so he wouldn't even be cheap. 

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

In one way he'd definitely be an improvement, as our current backup is Keinan **** Davis. It's almost impossible to imagine a downgrade on our current backup option. There are probably better options though, and he's starting for Palace fairly regularly now so he wouldn't even be cheap. 

I actually think Keinan is a better backup than Benteke. 

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I actually think Keinan is a better backup than Benteke. 

This is absolute madness, IMO. Benteke has scored more league goals this season than Davis has in his career, yet people still take the piss out of him. 

Can Davis hold the ball up a bit better, maybe. I'll take the goals though. I think it's absolutely laughable that Davis is in a Premier League squad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

This is absolute madness, IMO. Benteke has scored more league goals this season than Davis has in his career, yet people still take the piss out of him. 

Can Davis hold the ball up a bit better, maybe. I'll take the goals though. I think it's absolutely laughable that Davis is in a Premier League squad.

That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. Keinan brings others into the game, Benteke doesn't. 

Overall team performance would be better with Keinan than Benteke.

Really don't get the nostalgia for him.

Â