Christian Benteke

Kwan

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Backup for what? Because you can't mean football.

Well, he certainly wouldn't turn us back into a retirement home for past it footballers who had a few good years and are now largely overpaid junk.

12 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Well, he certainly wouldn't turn us back into a retirement home for past it footballers who had a few good years and are now largely overpaid junk.

No, because he would have had to be a good footballer before he could be a past it one.

Benteke scored as many goals against West Brom as Davis has scored in his career to date.

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No, because he would have had to be a good footballer before he could be a past it one.

Benteke scored as many goals against West Brom as Davis has scored in his career to date.

I'll stick to what I said thanks. Keinan offers more to the team than Benteke would.

To suggest otherwise is sentimental nonsense.

56 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Backup for what? Because you can't mean football.

This is a little harsh.

I agree that we could do much better in terms of backup than Davis. That said, for the most part he does the job of a center forward very well. The only thing he doesn't do is score. If he did, we'd be lauding him as a brilliant target man.

Scoring goals is not the only measure of a player. You only need to look at Ollie's performance against Palace to see that. Davis is very good at holding up the ball and bringing the midfield into play, traits which were pretty valuable to us at times last season. He defends from the front too, something Smith specifically mentioned about Ollie.

He's not great, Benteke is certainly better overall, but to imply he's got no footballing ability at all is unfair.

3 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

This is a little harsh.

I agree that we could do much better in terms of backup than Davis. That said, for the most part he does the job of a center forward very well. The only thing he doesn't do is score. If he did, we'd be lauding him as a brilliant target man.

Scoring goals is not the only measure of a player. You only need to look at Ollie's performance against Palace to see that. Davis is very good at holding up the ball and bringing the midfield into play, traits which were pretty valuable to us at times last season. He defends from the front too, something Smith specifically mentioned about Ollie.

He's not great, Benteke is certainly better overall, but to imply he's got no footballing ability at all is unfair.

It was a little tongue in cheek I don't though think he is good enough for the PL personally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It was a little tongue in cheek I don't though think he is good enough for the PL personally.

Fair enough.

There are few things I want more than for him to start banging goals in right now. He'd be so good if he did. He has pretty much every other trait down.

Benteke has been awful for several years, it would be madness to consider re-signing him.

He could have left Palace for free to sign a big payday somewhere but instead opted to take the 1 year option on his current contact. What that means is that his agent couldn’t find him another deal elsewhere even on a free. He’s finished at this level, physically and mentally.

11 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

No, it isn't. It is my view based on their current levels of ability.

With all due respect, you are seeing something that simply isn't there. Benteke is done, has been for a few years now.

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Not sure he has many options.

Ayew, Zaha, Benteke, Wickham, Batshuayi, Pierrick (nope, me neither 🤷‍♂️). 

Not an embarrassment of riches but there’s worse lists in the Premier league. 

14 minutes ago, choffer said:

Ayew, Zaha, Benteke, Wickham, Batshuayi, Pierrick (nope, me neither 🤷‍♂️). 

Not an embarrassment of riches but there’s worse lists in the Premier league. 

Ayew: Shit, but played today

Zaha: Decent

Wickham: injured, shit

Batshuayi: came on against us, shit

Pierrick: too shit to even get in the squad 

I can see why Benteke is getting game time (and it’s not because he’s good).

His rating today was 9th out of 11 starters.

0-E41-E192-B620-44-F4-AAF5-4-A748-C02171

Edited by Genie

Â