Christian Benteke

Kwan

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought the fantasy of bringing Benteke back as a backup was silly, but seeing him play for Palace today made me rethink that. Rolled the years back to 2013. The only thing he doesn't have in his locker anymore are the spectacular goals. His long range shooting is not good anymore unfortunately. 

But I imagine he'd be very dangerous in our team and the way we've been playing. That Palace team aren't as cohesive as us, and Eze is still raw so isn't deadly yet. He's probably on stupid money, but we could do worse than him as backup to Ollie in select games.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I always thought the fantasy of bringing Benteke back as a backup was silly, but seeing him play for Palace today made me rethink that. Rolled the years back to 2013. The only thing he doesn't have in his locker anymore are the spectacular goals. His long range shooting is not good anymore unfortunately. 

But I imagine he'd be very dangerous in our team and the way we've been playing. That Palace team aren't as cohesive as us, and Eze is still raw so isn't deadly yet. He's probably on stupid money, but we could do worse than him as backup to Ollie in select games.

Exactly. I agree he has lost some of his magic but he would still be a very useful option in our squad and would make an impact.

I still maintain he is one of the biggest confidence players I've ever seen, he still is now. Imagine us back in a packed Villa Park with the fans singing his name like they used to, he gets a goal or two, I think we would see a different player. Not the same player that left but not the same player that we see at Palace. He would score 10 from crosses from Jack alone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Exactly. I agree he has lost some of his magic but he would still be a very useful option in our squad and would make an impact.

I still maintain he is one of the biggest confidence players I've ever seen, he still is now. Imagine us back in a packed Villa Park with the fans singing his name like they used to, he gets a goal or two, I think we would see a different player. Not the same player that left but not the same player that we see at Palace. He would score 10 from crosses from Jack alone.

His hold up play was ridiculous. He won everything. The ball stuck to him and he laid it off perfectly, only for Townsend or Zaha to mess it up. I'm just thinking about him laying it off for Jack or Bertrand and then it's a wrap.

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Huge confidence player, his decline started when he stopped being loved (His mate Kristof Terreur said this). Not convinced of his mobility and (more importantly) his hunger, I have seen him play a couple of times in the last 18 months and he doesn't look like he believes.....probably because he just wants to be loved again.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

His hold up play was ridiculous. He won everything. The ball stuck to him and he laid it off perfectly, only for Townsend or Zaha to mess it up. I'm just thinking about him laying it off for Jack or Bertrand and then it's a wrap.

Yep few if any better than him at it in the league he is excellent at it, likewise defending a near post in his own box. He offers a lot to a team, I'd love to have him as an option.

Just now, AndyClarke said:

Huge confidence player, his decline started when he stopped being loved (His mate Kristof Terreur said this). Not convinced of his mobility and (more importantly) his hunger, I have seen him play a couple of times in the last 18 months and he doesn't look like he believes.....probably because he just wants to be loved again.

He absolutely needs it, it isn't ego its self doubt in my view he needs affirmation its why his goals used to come in bursts. He looked like he had it back a little before his sending off the other week. Palace and Roy is such a bad fit. I agree he perhaps lacks a little hunger but call me a romantic but again, back in B6, crowd singing his name a team with quality creating chances and do more than eek out a 0-0, I think he would get some of that back.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He absolutely needs it, it isn't ego its self doubt in my view he needs affirmation its why his goals used to come in bursts. He looked like he had it back a little before his sending off the other week. Palace and Roy is such a bad fit. I agree he perhaps lacks a little hunger but call me a romantic but again, back in B6, crowd singing his name a team with quality creating chances and do more than eek out a 0-0, I think he would get some of that back.

You never go back in football it rarely works sadly. Doesn't suit what we do but on the odd occasion he could be great. Don't see it unless he was one of two coming in because we've got to find someone who can do (something like) what Watkins does.

The reality of his huge wages makes it highly unlikely all round. He can retire to China or similar on probably even more handsome wages than he is on today and Villa aren't going to pay the £15-20 million to give him a 3 year deal, even if there was no transfer fee.

Edited by AndyClarke

3 minutes ago, AndyClarke said:

You never go back in football it rarely works sadly. Doesn't suit what we do but on the odd occasion he could be great. Don't see it unless he was one of two coming in because we've got to find someone who can do (something like) what Watkins does.

The reality of his huge wages makes it highly unlikely all round. He can retire to China or similar on probably even more handsome wages than he is on today and Villa aren't going to pay the £15-20 million to give him a 3 year deal, even if there was no transfer fee.

There is next to no chance I'm sure sadly.

• 1 month later...

Lovely goal against Brighton tonight, and then a little mention of us in the post-match interview:

Q: Have you scored as dramatic a goal as that for Palace before?

A: I'm not sure . . . maybe for Aston Villa . . .

Do I detect a little hint of wistfulness there?

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Lovely goal against Brighton tonight, and then a little mention of us in the post-match interview:

Q: Have you scored as dramatic a goal as that for Palace before?

A: I'm not sure . . . maybe for Aston Villa . . .

Do I detect a little hint of wistfulness there?

He really was the man here. He's never had that since. I'd take him back here in a heartbeat. Neither Davis, or unfortunately Wesley at the moment can come off the bench and do what he did tonight.

• Like 1

Â