Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/22 at 23:59

We weren't very good today. But then, neither were Newcastle. If you wanted to put a positive spin on it, you could say that this was a game decided by two strokes of bad luck...an unlucky deflection off Buendia's thigh and an unlucky offside call. (Even is on, and it looked even to me! Can you really say from the snapshot they showed that it was clearly offside?)

But if you don't try to spin it, the bottom line is that Newcastle's defence was well organized and we couldn't break it down. We couldn't pass a ball to save our lives today.

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

Second game in a row where the opposition forced us to play the way they wanted us to play.

From back to front 9n on the bench, there is no intelligence, no leadership, no guile, no clue.  A squad of sheep, and a coaching team out of their depth.

Martinez - 5 - needs dropping. Making poor decisions every game, sloppy mistakes.  Should not have charged off his line when Mings had it covered, poor for their goal and failed to dominate his box.

Cash - 5 - gets into good positions going forward but lacks the quality to make the most 9f them. Defensive out of position and fails to chase back often.

Chambers - 6 - free kick aside I thought he was ok.

Mings - 7 - no big mistake today, but wants to play the ball in bad positions far too often.

Digne - 6 - ok

McGinn - 5 - not good enough.  He's one of our senior 0layers and our vice captain but he's not a leader and makes as many errors as anyone.

Luiz - 6 - better first half than second but our midfield is weak right now.

Ramsey - 5 - anonymous first half, relatively poor second.  Doesn't do enough defensively to play as one of the midfield 3 for me.  I'd happily see him and Phil play as the 2 10s.

Buendia - 6 - tried hard but lacked quality

Coutinho - 5 - failed to get involved and the game passed him by.

Watkins - 3 - can't seem to run, can't seem to pass, can't win headers can't control.  The ball goes to him and comes right back. Needs dropping.

Ings - 6 - held up play ok. Not enough time to make an impact.

Bailey - 5 - tried hard but nothing came off.  Understandable given how long he's been out.

Chuk - 5 - not great, was never going to improve the game.

Gerrard - 4 - he's taken a team that was defensively solid and made them a laughing stock. He's playing a style and system that doesn't suit the 0layers he has.  Davis would be perfect in this system but he let him leave.  I really don't think he knows what to do.

Can see us getting pulled into the relegation scrap unless something changes.  We're in relegation form 0laying like relegation contenders.  Worrying

Think those ratings are generous to be honest.

When Gary Neville says my eyes are deceiving me re the VAR call then you know something is wrong. 

Every time we tried to play football we went through them with ease but the last 15 minutes were very very poor.

The formation should have been changed and gone to a 4-3-3 but yet again we were slow and lethargic. 

Newcastle United will survive now and we can wave at them as they go past us in the next season or two.

For the first time this season, I can't give a MOTM, to a man they were all awful. Martinez, several mad moments, CB slow and route one, Digne and Cash both horrific, midfield was weak or missing and the front three did nothing but overplay or lose the ball. The subs made zero difference and Ings was every inch as bad as Watkins had been.

And what screams out most is this isn't a surprise. We lose to big teams becuase of talent but we lose to teams like this because of desire and mentality. Pretty much no excuse to be that poor against Newcastle, exactly the same lack of fight as against Leeds. We're weak and put us under pressure and we crumble... Same every week.

Don't let some VAR shambles distract us from the fact we were lucky that was only 1-0. Newcastle looked far better than us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Gerrard - 4 - he's taken a team that was defensively solid and made them a laughing stock. He's playing a style and system that doesn't suit the 0layers he has.  Davis would be perfect in this system but he let him leave.  I really don't think he knows what to do.

Well it was Gerrard that made us defensively solid then in the few weeks off has seemingly reversed that completely.

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I think I’m at the same place mentally when we were under Lambert. Basically, I’m past caring and am starting to dislike the squad. Fed up of letting this club ruin my weekends. Call me fairweather but I’m not a masochist so it’s time to take a step back me thinks. 

Ditto, it's making me so angry I need to have a break. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

For the first time this season, I can't give a MOTM, to a man they were all awful. Martinez, several mad moments, CB slow and route one, Digne and Cash both horrific, midfield was weak or missing and the front three did nothing but overplay or lose the ball. The subs made zero difference and Ings was every inch as bad as Watkins had been.

And what screams out most is this isn't a surprise. We lose to big teams becuase of talent but we lose to teams like this because of desire and mentality. Pretty much no excuse to be that poor against Newcastle, exactly the same lack of fight as against Leeds. We're weak and put us under pressure and we crumble... Same every week.

Don't let some VAR shambles distract us from the fact we were lucky that was only 1-0. Newcastle looked far better than us.

We were poor but that far shambles changes the whole mood and trajectory of the final half of the game, that goal stands and our tails are up and we potentially have more impetus. 

Awful, I expected fresh legs in midfield after the Leeds game but the whole team were off it especially the first half. Luiz set pieces were gash, crosses from Cash were poor and little movement and passing throughout the team. 

I thought Sanson might get on as McGinn and Luiz were so bad but it looks like he isn't going to get much game time under the manager.

4 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Second game in a row where the opposition forced us to play the way they wanted us to play.

From back to front 9n on the bench, there is no intelligence, no leadership, no guile, no clue.  A squad of sheep, and a coaching team out of their depth.

Martinez - 5 - needs dropping. Making poor decisions every game, sloppy mistakes.  Should not have charged off his line when Mings had it covered, poor for their goal and failed to dominate his box.

Cash - 5 - gets into good positions going forward but lacks the quality to make the most 9f them. Defensive out of position and fails to chase back often.

Mings - 7 - no big mistake today, but wants to play the ball in bad positions far too often.

Digne - 6 - ok

McGinn - 5 - not good enough.  He's one of our senior 0layers and our vice captain but he's not a leader and makes as many errors as anyone.

Ramsey - 5 - anonymous first half, relatively poor second.  Doesn't do enough defensively to play as one of the midfield 3 for me.  I'd happily see him and Phil play as the 2 10s.

Watkins - 3 - can't seem to run, can't seem to pass, can't win headers can't control.  The ball goes to him and comes right back. Needs dropping.

Bailey - 5 - tried hard but nothing came off.  Understandable given how long he's been out.

Can see us getting pulled into the relegation scrap unless something changes.  We're in relegation form 0laying like relegation contenders.  Worrying

We conceded 13 in 5 games before he arrived. We weren’t defensively solid. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sam its scary how bad we are considering how much has been invested in this team.

That level of performance for me is unacceptable. I dont wanna be hearing on villatv talking about positives from the game as there was none zero. Time to start being honest and saying i wont accept that level of performance and if you want to be in the team you play better. I also dont want to hear excuses from gerrard that leeds game took a lot from us. 

It was a pathetic and gutless display. Only mings and countinho played well and get credit

We've made the wrong manager choice. Or he needs to start learning quickly.

4 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Digne - 6 - ok

I agree with a lot of your post but Davis is definitely not the answer, we need a forward who scores. 

Just now, picicata said:

We've made the wrong manager choice. Or he needs to start learning quickly.

I think its too early to say that. I can see how gerrard is tryin to play its just alot of these players are incapable  of doing it. 

Gotta say it, that was our worst performance this season. Now, Gerrard himself said the other night that our numbers were through the roof so he'd have to look at the players before picking a team - then goes and picks the same team (Konsa would've played too if not suspended). That was odd. 

Team selection apart, the players looked off it - Mings apart! 

Martinez - Was poor at times. Has becoming an International affected him negatively at club level? 

Cash - Time and again he gets into great positions but there's no end product. There was no excuse today sd he had the run of the pitch second half against an injured Saint-Maximin. 

Digne - Same as Cash - no end product. 

Chambers - Average debut from him but, what did we expect really? 

McGinn - Shadow of the real SJM but he's being asked to basically play right back under Gerrard. 

Ramsey - Luckily for him, Newcastle relied more on ASM than Fraser otherwise he'd have been like McGinn. As it was, couldn't get forward as much as we'd like. 

Luiz - Poor first half although he was the only one switched on for their quick free kick. Much better second half when driving into their half.

Buendia - Tried his best but didn't get enough of the ball to make an impact. 

Coutinho - See Buendia. 

Watkins - Long balls were no use to him as Burn was a foot taller at times. However, you'd certainly expect him to do more with the ball at his feet. He often looks like he's running at a different speed to the ball and leaving it behind, likes it is stuck in mud. Still our main striker. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Digne - 6 - ok

I see you don't work for L'equipe with ratings like that

Â