Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/22 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Why do you think we can’t go down? If we carry on playing like this and losing…we could easily be caught up with. 

We probably only need about 10 more to be definitely safe and although we're playing shit right now, we'll get that.

Not that I would class staying up as a success, but people really need to stop overreacting.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Considerably over.

I estimate it at about £230m worth of players getting on the pitch for us today. And that's with Chambers, McGinn, Ramsey and Chuk costing a cheese sandwich and a button between them.

Sam its scary how bad we are considering how much has been invested in this team.

That level of performance for me is unacceptable. I dont wanna be hearing on villatv talking about positives from the game as there was none zero. Time to start being honest and saying i wont accept that level of performance and if you want to be in the team you play better. I also dont want to hear excuses from gerrard that leeds game took a lot from us. 

It was a pathetic and gutless display. Only mings and countinho played well and get credit

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Why do you think we can’t go down? If we carry on playing like this and losing…we could easily be caught up with. 

35 points will surely be enough this season. We need 8 more to get there with 15 games left. If we can’t do that might as well put the club under administration.

11 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’m under no illusions this was a good performance, but we didn’t actually deserve to lose this and were robbed by a VAR who can’t draw lines. If you need the bastard lines to make a call, at lesst draw them in the right place. Krafth’s heel was inside the f***ing line. And no way should they have finished with 11 players. Thugs.

Oil money from a murderous state helps.

However, we were absolutely shocking. Yet again.

1 minute ago, Khizzy said:

Gerrard got beaten by Eddie Who.... Newcastle's full backs went off injured and we didn't capitalise on that but just continued with the crap passing and giving the ball away at every opportunity. Season is more or less done now. Just play the bloody kids. 

It isn't over yet, we are a couple more poor results away from a relegation battle.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

During that losing run some games were actually worse. Arsenal away, West Ham at home and Southampton away were really abysmal.

This was against a  Newcastle team who are fighting relegation and who had a couple of injuries to their starting 11 and have a manager who's been in the job about the same amount of time as Gerrard.+ We now have a Brazilian international and a left back who's one of the best in the game. 

We can't play this system with the midfield we have , they are not good enough at the defensive part of the game, as individuals. 

The worrying part about today, and Leeds, is the overall performance is woeful, we can't string two passes together, players don't find any space  and they  don't press the opposition when they are in possession. 

I'm not sure what the answer is but Gerrard needs to change our formation or change the players he's using for the system. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

You including Digne and chambers in that ? 

The midfield is clearly our biggest problem area. We have nobody who takes control or leads the team. 

They are all too nice and like to play tippy tappy stuff.

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Watkins, Cash, McGinn and Luiz all dog dirt today and it's killed us, I'm not putting JJ in that box because he's still a youngster - but he also had a stinker.

Time to twist and bring some new faces in, although how Sanson didn't get on today I'll never know. Assume he's leaving the club with Watkins, Luiz and Cash in the summer.

What an abject performance, no idea why we got rid of Deano tbh.  

I think Dean had to go, we had become sloppy in all areas, it started with a shambolic pre-season,  the club needed a shake. Some players had become untouchable and the new manager should be above that, but it seems a rot that persists. 

I honestly think McGinn has to go, and Watkins and Mings too, despite being the better of a bad bunch today, his ponderous approach to his game sets the tone.

I have watched every game other than Away at Palace last season and Away at Man City in 2020 but I think I won’t be bothering again this season.

• Like 1

Second game in a row where the opposition forced us to play the way they wanted us to play.

From back to front 9n on the bench, there is no intelligence, no leadership, no guile, no clue.  A squad of sheep, and a coaching team out of their depth.

Martinez - 5 - needs dropping. Making poor decisions every game, sloppy mistakes.  Should not have charged off his line when Mings had it covered, poor for their goal and failed to dominate his box.

Cash - 5 - gets into good positions going forward but lacks the quality to make the most 9f them. Defensive out of position and fails to chase back often.

Chambers - 6 - free kick aside I thought he was ok.

Mings - 7 - no big mistake today, but wants to play the ball in bad positions far too often.

Digne - 6 - ok

McGinn - 5 - not good enough.  He's one of our senior 0layers and our vice captain but he's not a leader and makes as many errors as anyone.

Luiz - 6 - better first half than second but our midfield is weak right now.

Ramsey - 5 - anonymous first half, relatively poor second.  Doesn't do enough defensively to play as one of the midfield 3 for me.  I'd happily see him and Phil play as the 2 10s.

Buendia - 6 - tried hard but lacked quality

Coutinho - 5 - failed to get involved and the game passed him by.

Watkins - 3 - can't seem to run, can't seem to pass, can't win headers can't control.  The ball goes to him and comes right back. Needs dropping.

Ings - 6 - held up play ok. Not enough time to make an impact.

Bailey - 5 - tried hard but nothing came off.  Understandable given how long he's been out.

Chuk - 5 - not great, was never going to improve the game.

Gerrard - 4 - he's taken a team that was defensively solid and made them a laughing stock. He's playing a style and system that doesn't suit the 0layers he has.  Davis would be perfect in this system but he let him leave.  I really don't think he knows what to do.

Can see us getting pulled into the relegation scrap unless something changes.  We're in relegation form 0laying like relegation contenders.  Worrying

• Like 2

Good job Tyrone. Everyone else on the beach. Its way too early for that lads.

This is another test for Gerrard imho. If we are out of touch of Europe then the bare minimum I would like to see is our style of play developing. I didnt see that today. Felt like a step backwards.

Anyways UTV I am done with football for the day. Ouch.

• Like 1

I always try to find positives but even I'm struggling here. Mings is probably the only one who performed and no silly mistakes from him.

I've looked at the Watkins goal many times and I honestly can't see how he's offside. It certainly isn't clear and obvious anyway.

If Gerrard can't out think Hodgson then I'm gonna start to worry

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

So, Gerrard's winter break 'like a pre-season where we establish the team's identity and how we want to play' meant we want to drop 5 points against 2 relegation candidates.

Looks like one massive piss up. It goes on and I'd be staggered if that's what we weren't up to.

Â