Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/22 at 23:59

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Second half we at least tried to play through midfield albeit with poor results. In first half we didn’t even try, lots of long balls without obvious address. Why was that?

Players knackered from the Leeds game not working hard enough to show for the pass so the defenders just lumped it up the pitch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

They're all shit. Every last one of them, backed up by a system which has legalised match-fixing.

Shit referees making shit decisions while watching tv rather than in person. VAR is in existence because refs admitted they were shit and we all went along without thinking it would improve things but instead shit decisions take 5 minutes rather than instant. I for one hated the idea of VAR because the us literally no sport that has been made better by tv officials. It ruins the entertainment 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Louis said:

Our poor record in the North East continues. Poor.

I reckon we should just agree to default the fixture as a loss in advance and save the petrol money on the coach driving up there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Maybe, but no way is Newcastles squad better than ours (yet). Still they won. It’s part of the manager’s job to motivate.

Yes that’s true but I think it’s more a mentality problem than a motivation problem. They were motivated under Dean but mentally weak.

I’d add, that I agree with what @punkiller1981 said about our naivety. I’ve thought for years that we never seem to be a streetwise team. You can instil that to some extent but it’s more a state of mind. Essentially character wise we’re still a Dean team and it really shows. 

52 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

During that losing run some games were actually worse. Arsenal away, West Ham at home and Southampton away were really abysmal.

West Ham at home was the only one which stuck in my mind as being especially worse if I'm being honest. And at least that was against a team who were flying and looked very good on the day. Newcastle came out and pressed us well in the first half but had very little quality on the ball

4 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I reckon we should just agree to default the fixture as a loss in advance and save the petrol money on the coach driving up there

That just about sums up the mentality of too many of our players. Until we change that we’ll never get anywhere. 

Disappointing result and poor performance, granted. Newcastle are fighting for their future in the league. They wanted it more. End of.

Some of the reactions have been absurdly hyperbolic though. It's embarrassing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I honestly believed SG was the man to give us a winning mentality. Absolute bunch of losers

I believe he will and I’m also encouraged that the owners will also have a winning mentality and recognise that we must improve in this respect. 

We added some quality in January but essentially the team still is largely Dean’s and the lapse weak mentality remains not far under the surface. We’ve been like that for longer than I care to remember. It needs to change and must change, but it will take time. It’s good that we aren’t papering over the cracks and kidding ourselves that all is well. Big summer coming up. 

10 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

That was a brutal interview and it was needed.

Some players are playing for their Villa career (Not sure that some are bothered tbf)

Why do they need to be? Worst case they'll be sold and get a hefty signing on bonus and/or cut of the transfer fee.

I knew we'd gift them three points, next season they will finish above us too.

Villa lack unity, fight and passion.

McGinn can't pass a ball, gets caught in possession and can barely run.

There's not one good thing to say about any Villa player today.

One point from Leeds and Newcastle, this was supposed to be an opportunity to pick up points and we've failed.

Top ten is looking way off now!

• Like 1

Â