Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/22 at 23:59

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

No manager can fix this with these players. The core of the team is rancid, cancerous.

More reactionary nonsense. You think Newcastle's starting XI is better than ours? Today was awful, no doubt but dont give me "the players arent good enough" because that's simply not true.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Weird to think we have loaned these guys a player as well, so that they can go ahead and be better than us. Awesome. 

And gift them the three points to stay up and likely finish above us next season.

Good thinking Villa!

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Weird to think we have loaned these guys a player as well, so that they can go ahead and be better than us. Awesome. 

1) Targett wasn't playing today

2) Digne is much better than him

12 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

What a F****** graveyard SJP is for us. No idea what our problem up there is as we regularly won at Sunderland and Boro.

Totally agree - as from my previous post, Newcastle and Chelsea are the 2 stomping grounds for us.

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This is the problem that won’t go away. It’s not that we aren’t big and muscular enough.

It’s the fact we can’t ever take control, keep possession and progress up the pitch by moving the ball. Our CBs aren’t ball players, nor is McGinn or Cash. Digne is too far away to be involved in the build-up. Too many are too poor in possession.

So instead we hoof it and chase second balls. Just like Burnley.

It's both actually. We need a beast in the middle to win the  all back.  We just dont do it. We also need players who are technically gifted. At the moment mginn and watkins look miles away from being gifted and subsequently lose the ball. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

It is entirely up to those players wearing Aston Villa jerseys as to who “wants it more”. End of.

Sadly, it is also up to those players wearing Newcastle jerseys.

We shouldn't meet it with a shrug, but we also shouldn't think it's the end of the world either.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

If you think this is our first poor game under him then you are far more generous than me. Imo we've mostly been average or bad.

This is just the straw that broke the camel's back for me in turns of criticising.

I still have patience and look forward eagerly to see what we look like next season, but so far it has not been good enough.

Is it fair to say we have suffered significantly since nakamba got injured. We are dying for a DM. 

Now it’s been a while since the game finished and I’m no longer angry and wound up - here are my observations. It still worries me how defeatist Gerrard looked only 1-0 down still with a couple of minutes to go - winning managers are still fighting and screaming until the final whistle. You think Alex Ferguson was slumped on his chair like that when United were 1-0 down against Bayern Munich in 1999? I know that game was much bigger but every game should have the same winning mentality and attitude or else why bother? He just gave up. The whole team gave up. There’s no bite, no fight, and the depth of our bench is not top ten material. I’m not dissing the team or lashing out. I’m just being honest. We badly need better quality, better depth and better attitudes. Otherwise we will just get eclipsed by other teams including, sadly, the likes of Newcastle. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY
  • Like 1

You can't avoid the impression that there is something about the culture of the club, where everytime the team gets above halfway, everybody decides they've done enough.

Being brilliant for 45 minutes won't win us anything, except a reputation for being moody.

The look on Gerrard's face at the end of the game, suggested he had reached the same conclusion.

I’m with the general consensus on here regarding the performance. Went out with the Missus at half time for some food and have only just seen the score. Completely apathetic to be honest. The connection I felt with the club when Smith was in charge and Grealish captaining has gone with them. No point letting it ruin your weekend, we can lose 6-0 or win 6-0, the players still take home their tens if not hundreds of thousands per week.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, skell said:

Is it fair to say we have suffered significantly since nakamba got injured. We are dying for a DM. 

Nakamba has played 9 games at DM this season, we won 3 and lost 6. Average 1.78 goals conceded. One clean sheet.

Luiz played 14 games at DM this season, we won 5, drew 3 and lost 6. Average 1.43 goals conceded. Five clean sheets.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Now it’s been a while since the game finished and I’m no longer angry and wound up - here are my observations. It still worries me how defeatist Gerrard looked only 1-0 down still with a couple of minutes to go - winning managers are still fighting and screaming until the final whistle. You think Alex Ferguson was slumped on his chair like that when United were 1-0 down against Bayern Munich in 1999? I know that game was much bigger but every game should have the same winning mentality and attitude or else why bother? He just gave up. The whole team gave up. There’s no bite, no fight, and the depth of our bench is not top ten material. I’m not dissing the team or lashing out. I’m just being honest. We badly need better quality, better depth and better attitudes. Otherwise we will just get eclipsed by other teams including, sadly, the likes of Newcastle. 

For some reason it would let me edit but just wanted to add - just noticed we’ve dropped down further now thanks to Leicester winning! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Sadly, it is also up to those players wearing Newcastle jerseys.

We shouldn't meet it with a shrug, but we also shouldn't think it's the end of the world either.

Would you ever find an elite sportsperson being comfortable with “they wanted it more”?

Rafael Nadal? Kelly Holmes? Tyson Fury?

The absolute last thing Villa need is a culture of “oh well, they wanted it more”. It is the antithesis of success and, if Gerrard is true to his word, should also be the antithesis of the current culture at the club. Time will tell.

(IF, instead of “They wanted it more. End of” you had said “They wanted it more. WHY?” then we might be closer to the same page).

32 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Losing to a Newcastle side this season is not acceptable, whichever way you look at it. There is absolutely no scenario where losing isn’t a disaster.

What absolute garbage. Not acceptable? This is sport, anyone can beat anyone. Losing away to Man City is not a disaster.

Then in another post you talk of us going down. I think you've had enough internet for today my friend.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Nakamba has played 9 games at DM this season, we won 3 and lost 6. Average 1.78 goals conceded. One clean sheet.

Luiz played 14 games at DM this season, we won 5, drew 3 and lost 6. Average 1.43 goals conceded. Five clean sheets.

I'm pretty sure(without looking at stats) that nakamba best results were under gerard. He was a different animal . Under smith he was clearly told to stay out. Under gerard he was told to win the ball.  That's what we miss. Luiz is not a DM

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

5 points from 4 games is shit form?

I watched us against Man United and Leeds and played some beautiful stuff. We were also defensively very solid against Everton in shutting out the game.

But then im not a whiny entitled brat like lots of other Villa fans.

It’s 5 points from 6 games.

That is 0.83 points per game.

That would be 32 points over the course of a season.

That is shit form.

Lets leave that to one side for now.

We just had ONE SHOT ON TARGET against poor team.  That was a Luiz free kick which the goalie had time to make a cup of tea before he caught it.  Even during our 5 loss streak we didn’t play this bad.

We already beat Man Utd this season.

We already beat Everton 3-0 this season in a much more convincing fashion.

calling people entitled brats for venting frustration after one of the worst displays in living memory…

• Like 3

Just wonder if our performance on Wednesday took a lot out of us and Leeds and may explain both clubs results.

I have been an advocate of Watkins up until now but for next game Ings must start.

What is Samson doing in training that seems to exclude him from our team.

Mcginn coming off for Chuk was a mistake.Although he wasn’t playing well he does take responsibility and tries to create.We lacked his drive in the last few minutes and Chuk was playing very safely.Just wonder if we have loaned out too many attacking players as we don’t have that many attacking options.

• Like 3

Â