Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/22 at 23:59

It’s such early days for Gerrard - I’ll start paying attention at the start of next season once he’s had a fair crack

We we’re poor today and so we’re Newcastle - a draw would have been fair  

Coutinho is miles from full fitness and will hopefully get much better. Ramsey had a quiet game, Luis and McGinn struggled. Cash and Watkins were quite poor

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its too early to say that. I can see how gerrard is tryin to play its just alot of these players are incapable  of doing it. 

Then he needs to work with what he's got not what he wishes he had.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TomC said:We couldn't pass a ball to save our lives today.
3 minutes ago, TomC said:

We couldn't pass a ball to save our lives today.

This is the problem that won’t go away. It’s not that we aren’t big and muscular enough.

It’s the fact we can’t ever take control, keep possession and progress up the pitch by moving the ball. Our CBs aren’t ball players, nor is McGinn or Cash. Digne is too far away to be involved in the build-up. Too many are too poor in possession.

So instead we hoof it and chase second balls. Just like Burnley.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

This is the problem that won’t go away. It’s not that we aren’t big and muscular enough.

It’s the fact we can’t ever take control, keep possession and progress up the pitch by moving the ball. Our CBs aren’t ball players, nor is McGinn or Cash. Digne is too far away to be involved in the build-up. Too many are too poor in possession.

So instead we hoof it and chase second balls. Just like Burnley.

I don't quite think it was a possession problem...we had more possession (53% I think) in the first half, and that was the worse of the two. We dominated possession in the second. But it was sterile possession. Coutinho and Buendia weren't creating, in large part because Newcastle had everyone marked, but that in turn is because we weren't making good runs.

2 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

so we should have just carried on with Dean Smith according to your logic then?

Are we any different at the moment?  The basis of optimism is for the future because at the moment after the initial SG honeymoon period I’m seeing all the same issues and maybe worse.

By the way Gerrard sets up the team, we are losing one of McGinns main attributes in his ability to drive forward. We rarely see it now. He has been told to stay back and support Luiz in 2-back coverage.

This is not attractive football.

• Like 3

Just now, Five Ken McNaughts said:

I can only guess it was deemed unnecessary as soon as Craig Pawson was announced. I’m going to go through the motions anyway: “Very Poor” (but not quite as poor as Villa). 

They're all shit. Every last one of them, backed up by a system which has legalised match-fixing.

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

I don't quite think it was a possession problem...we had more possession (53% I think) in the first half, and that was the worse of the two. We dominated possession in the second. But it was sterile possession. Coutinho and Buendia weren't creating, in large part because Newcastle had everyone marked, but that in turn is because we weren't making good runs.

Second half we at least tried to play through midfield albeit with poor results. In first half we didn’t even try, lots of long balls without obvious address. Why was that?

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What must edens and sawiris think of this? The amount of money they have invested and the players play like this?

Disappointed? I think we have had undue pressure from the get go this season with the stated aim  of European qualification.  We have so many played coming in its going to take time to sort a side out. We have looked disjointed all season.  I suspect a couple of big names will be moved on in the summer to get a some return on investment.

7 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

It’s such early days for Gerrard - I’ll start paying attention at the start of next season once he’s had a fair crack

We we’re poor today and so we’re Newcastle - a draw would have been fair  

Coutinho is miles from full fitness and will hopefully get much better. Ramsey had a quiet game, Luis and McGinn struggled. Cash and Watkins were quite poor

Agreed but I wouldn’t mind as much if were not getting results but playing well. It’s pretty poor and I just don’t see how he wants us to play. We are neither good in defence or attack. No one in particular seems to be playing better under him either, including Ramsey who despite some excellent goals, still fails to convince over the majority of a game. 

Â