Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/22 at 23:59

15 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Was pretty disheartening to see SG’s body language in stoppage time.

I noticed this too. He clearly was frustrated. How he reacts to today's performance will tell us a lot about him as a manager.

16 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Some of the reactions have been absurdly hyperbolic though. It's embarrassing.

You sound surprised?! 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard did not look happy.

Interviewer - "what will you look to do, to improve the situation after this performance?"

Gerrard - "i will make changes, i need to impose myself on the team, we will push them even harder"

let's hope he does, if Watkins & McGinn start the next game, i will wonder what is going on behind the scenes tbh.

Good to hear. If i see watkins startung next week im going ti be pissed. I want konsa back too as wasnt impressed with chambers.

13 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I honestly believed SG was the man to give us a winning mentality. Absolute bunch of losers

Someone wondered when Gerrard was appointed how he’d react when working with a team that doesn’t win most of its games. It’s a new experience for him, to deal with recurring losses.

As I see it he will either be able to lift the players, or there will grow a rift where he feels let down and the players feel he’s asking for the impossible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I believe he will and I’m also encouraged that the owners will also have a winning mentality and recognise that we must improve in this respect. 

We added some quality in January but essentially the team still is largely Dean’s and the lapse weak mentality remains not far under the surface. We’ve been like that for longer than I care to remember. It needs to change and must change, but it will take time. It’s good that we aren’t papering over the cracks and kidding ourselves that all is well. Big summer coming up. 

Martinez had that winning mentality under smith, looks a different player last two games. Mcginn, mings, watkins all looking worse since gerrards bootcamp. Everytime SG talks up JJ, je has a stibker the next game. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

so we should have just carried on with Dean Smith according to your logic then?

I didn't want either of them at the club and I maintain that stance.

With the money ploughed into this club over the last few seasons, that we are producing such criminally poor performances and still have no real identity on the pitch is a travesty.

18 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Disappointing result and poor performance, granted. Newcastle are fighting for their future in the league. They wanted it more. End of.

I think most of the comments have expressed perfectly understandable disappointment at a poor performance and a loss that we might reasonably have expected to avoid. You need to be more specific about which comments you think are “embarrassing” or it may look as if you are just posting for effect.

Been poor for a while, teams figured out perhaps overloading the full backs and restricting space so can't play out of back. 

Looks lovely going forward and some lovely passages of play but poor defensively and midfield 3 constantly overrun. Brentford, 1st half Vs United, Everton , Leeds we weren't great

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I think most of the comments have expressed perfectly understandable disappointment at a poor performance and a loss that we might reasonably have expected to avoid. You need to be more specific about which comments you think are “embarrassing” or it may look as if you are just posting for effect.

The disappointment at the poor performance is understandable and fair enough (I also expressed this), but I've seen people claiming we're serious candidates for relegation (we're only three or four wins away from the usual safety mark), that they don't want to see certain players play for us ever again, and even that Gerrard needs to go already. Not all of that was on here, but still. It's ludicrous. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yes 1-0 which could have been 1-1 but for a very tight VAR decision is not a disaster

Losing to a Newcastle side this season is not acceptable, whichever way you look at it. There is absolutely no scenario where losing isn’t a disaster. If all of the players and coaching staff are not furious with this result then I want them out the club. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Disappointing result and poor performance, granted. Newcastle are fighting for their future in the league. They wanted it more. End of.

Is this to be our fate every time we face a team who “wants it more” then? And we should all meet that with a shrug, huh? Just some force majeure, beyond the influence of man, that all parties need to accept? It isn’t, you know. It is entirely up to those players wearing Aston Villa jerseys as to who “wants it more”. End of.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I reckon we should just agree to default the fixture as a loss in advance and save the petrol money on the coach driving up there

Exactly - I didn’t bother going and so watched it on Sky. Hate it when we go up there to Newcastle. Our 2nd stomping ground after Chelsea.

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Looking at the results, I dont know what people are moaning about. We've lost to Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, all games we would expect to lose. We came back really well against Man United and would have beaten Leeds if it wasnt for some shambolic defending. Everton away was a good result considering Ferguson's potential rallying cry. We've had two bad results, today, and Brentford. We have three very nice games in a row and things will likely look a lot better in a few weeks.

I agree with you on the whole.

Even against Leeds whilst people were pissed off, I was rather ok because I saw some signs and spells on scintillating moves and football, which gave me optimism.

However, today was SCARY bad.

9 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Looking at the results, I dont know what people are moaning about. We've lost to Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, all games we would expect to lose. We came back really well against Man United and would have beaten Leeds if it wasnt for some shambolic defending. Everton away was a good result considering Ferguson's potential rallying cry. We've had two bad results, today, and Brentford. We have three very nice games in a row and things will likely look a lot better in a few weeks.

We’ve won 1 in 7 or something like that, we haven’t won at home since the 5th December, it’s understandable after that performance today and letting Leeds back in so easy a few days back, it’s fair that we are moaning.

Edited by nick76

Â