Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/22 at 23:59

23 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

You can't avoid the impression that there is something about the culture of the club, where everytime the team gets above halfway, everybody decides they've done enough.

Being brilliant for 45 minutes won't win us anything, except a reputation for being moody.

The look on Gerrard's face at the end of the game, suggested he had reached the same conclusion.

There is good money to be had at Villa as long as we are not in thread of relegation. That has been like that for years.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Not only are we going down, we're going to get relegated from the Championship next season too, and then League 1 after that. I just hope we can avoid slipping into the Conference in 2025.

Honestly this forum sometimes.

I agree to a large extent it's an overreaction. It is a concern though that we have now been truly awful for a game and a half. Two and a half hours of indiscipline, no creativity, no goals etc. The Watford game isnt crucial because of our higher league position but we cant have another directionless game. 

I was so angry when we conceded that Dan James goal just before half time. I knew it would shift the momentum. Weve barely offered anything since that goal.

3 minutes ago, skell said:

I'm pretty sure(without looking at stats) that nakamba best results were under gerard. He was a different animal . Under smith he was clearly told to stay out. Under gerard he was told to win the ball.  That's what we miss. Luiz is not a DM

In those first Gerrard games, the team had a much tighter shape and was dedicated to sitting back and defending. We also played against tough opponents so had very little possession.

I don’t think we want to keep playing like that, handing over possession and defend in a mid or low block, against bottom half teams. But we have gone towards a looser shape overall and I don’t think Nakamba’s prescence is the whole answer.

I also think we need a new defensive mid, maybe not Nakamba but someone with a broader skill set.

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

In those first Gerrard games, the team had a much tighter shape and was dedicated to sitting back and defending. We also played against tough opponents so had very little possession.

I don’t think we want to keep playing like that, handing over possession and defend in a mid or low block, against bottom half teams. But we have gone towards a looser shape overall and I don’t think Nakamba’s prescence is the whole answer.

I also think we need a new defensive mid, maybe not Nakamba but someone with a broader skill set.

I agree Nakamba is not the answer but he is the sticking plaster we need right now. Long term We need a big strong ball winner there. Unfortunately watkins mcginn and luiz dont offer enough when we are in possession of the ball. It's a tricky problem to solve 

7 minutes ago, Thug said:

But let’s face facts here.  We’re no better than what we were before.  We were utterly dire today.  Obvious changes were not made when they needed to be.  We muster 1 shitty shot on goal against an awful team.  We’re playing players in roles they’re clearly not comfortable with, because we need to fit them into a system that worked for the manager in a shitty league.  
Try it by all means, but when something isn’t working, change it in game ffs.

Did you see the five game losing run under Smith. We were poor today but absolutely nowhere near as bad as we were against Arsenal and West Ham. Probably Southampton, too. The problem is that in McGinn, Luiz and Watkins we have three players who are nowhere near the standard required.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Risso said:

Did you see the five game losing run under Smith. We were poor today but absolutely nowhere near as bad as we were against Arsenal and West Ham. Probably Southampton, too. The problem is that in McGinn, Luiz and Watkins we have three players who are nowhere near the standard required.

I think you nailed it. The midfield is a real worry for me, it's far too lightweight and they cannot match a physical battle. That said thought, there way too many poor individual performances again!

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think under Gerrard we've seen some improvements and put in some good performances. For me, today was as bad as those games you mentioned. 

I think you should probably go and watch the Arsenal game again. It was probably the worst performance since Remi Gard stank the place out.

• Like 1

Just now, Risso said:

I think you should probably go and watch the Arsenal game again. It was probably the worst performance since Remi Gard stank the place out.

It was abysmal. I know. Today was also abysmal. At least arsenal are a team going for Europe. This was Newcastle. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Risso said:

Managing 1 shot on target against Newcastle is absolutely worse than 

being the better side against wolves and going into meltdown.

losing to spurs

Losing to Arsenal

Losing to a very good west gam side.

losing 1-0 to Southampton.

Today was **** appalling.  
Im NOT saying Gerrard should be sacked 

Im NOT saying Smith should still be here.

but If anyone tries to tell me TODAY wasn’t as bad as it’s ever been, then you’re just plain wrong.  ONE SHOT ON TARGET AGAINST **** NEWCASTLE. 

Why are we even debating this??

• Like 4

Whats really disappointing is how little we penetrated thwir depleted defence.  You think trippier going off we would target their right side but nope. Just utterly turd.

It was a complete walk in tbe park for Newcastle.  A proper losers performance from them. 

Wow that was bad today. I’m really concerned at the tactics and lack of flexibility to change shape. To play the same 11 -(apart from the enforced change) who put so much effort in at Leeds was a big mistake. Persisting with Watkins is a big mistake. Not making changes and being proactive as we served up that absolute shit show was a big mistake. Now, I’m not saying Sanson is the answer, but how he didn’t come on today goodness knows. Bringing on Chuk and in the past Young is also a concern - now what is needed. I appreciate the need to get players back to fitness but bringing on Bailey for Buendia wasn’t a great call and neither was playing Traore against Brentford previously. While I see what he is trying to do with pushing the fullbacks high up, we are getting exposed time and again down the flanks. Finally, we are playing Buendia and Coutinho in the middle - we bypassed the midfield with long balls. 

Big question marks raised today. 

So yet again here we are. As stated a while back Newcastle would start to get a load of dodgy decisions via the corrupt FA and their game rigging VAR system. It was so obvious that they would not want the zillions of £££££’s the human rights abusers have dropping out of the Prem. 

We were dire, the match rigging was worse. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

It's not, but some people are seemingly rewriting history and making out Smith to be better for us (in his final months) than he actually was.

What?

No they’re not.  I think it is universally accepted that things had become stale and it was time for a change.

What is happening here is that some people refuse to acknowledge that todays performance was possibly as bad as the 5 loss streak - to teams that every single one of which is above us in the table right now.

West Ham (4th)

Arsenal (6th)

Wolves (7th)

Spurs (8th)

southampton (10th)

We’ve just lost to **** Newcastle, and if you dare to question the managers decisions/tactics, some people start name-callling!

• Like 2

Â