Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

28 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Both Grealish then, and Buendia now, seem to be able to find Ollie Watkins with passes in dangerous areas on a semi-regular basis.

Buendia and Ings from what I have seen is our best combination, think it was our best goals/assist combo last season

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Buendia and Ings from what I have seen is our best combination, think it was our best goals/assist combo last season

Every time they play together Emi through balls through and Ings is generally on the end of them or making runs to that intent. But when Coutinho is on suddenly nobody is moving for him....

The guy is finished, I hate to say it. His body just can't do what he wants. You can see he wants to do the little shimmy and drop of the shoulder to lash it top corner or find one of his strikers and he just can't physically do it anymore. The only way he can be effective is ironically in the system we played when Gerrard first came in. The quick one touch interplay on the edge of the box, he can still do that. Creating and scoring from deeper, yeah no, not anymore.

• Like 2

Just now, Tom13 said:

Laughed out of here when I said I was disappointed we'd signed him on a permanent basis. A poor signing. Bet Barca couldn't believe they'd found someone to take him off their hands.

I felt the same

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Laughed out of here when I said I was disappointed we'd signed him on a permanent basis. A poor signing. Bet Barca couldn't believe they'd found someone to take him off their hands.

Join the club but he is a big name like Gerrard so must be good as I was told 😢😢

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The guy is finished, I hate to say it. His body just can't do what he wants. You can see he wants to do the little shimmy and drop of the shoulder to lash it top corner or find one of his strikers and he just can't physically do it anymore. The only way he can be effective is ironically in the system we played when Gerrard first came in. The quick one touch interplay on the edge of the box, he can still do that. Creating and scoring from deeper, yeah no, not anymore.

It's painful to watch he jinx he shifts the ball and he goes to burst and his body doesn't move.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's painful to watch he jinx he shifts the ball and he goes to burst and his body doesn't move.

I was watching the game with my son and remarked during the first half: "The pitch looks absolutely perfect today!" ...

... cue Coutinho stepping around a defender then just tripping over his own feet. 🤦‍♂️

I dont think its him. Its gerrards rubbish system. It doesnt suit him at all.

He is a clever player playjng with shackles on him. For me you play him in the hole behind a striker and you will get the best out of him. If we played with bloody width it would give coutinho more space.

I can imagine him under rodgers or potters style of football. He would flourish.

I do agree though abiut a four year deal. Crazy should have been three tops with additional option

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I thought he was one of our better players yesterday. He’s not the problem, far from it. 

Play him in a better system with a better central midfield behind him and he’ll be good for us. 

He played well first half, it was a solid 7/10 performance. He then disappeared like the rest of the team in the second half. 

Getting Coutinho in was a decent move but following that up with a lucrative long term deal was madness. Aside from his first couple of games, his impact last season deteriorated game by game but instead of releasing him at the end of the season, we go and invest in him ...... like why would you do that ?!!!!

Smacks of best mates here rather than a sound hard-nosed decision in the best interests of the football club. 

Like most of the players...lack of movement...options....always receiving the ball.with back towards goal...kills him.

The one time he did go round someone he did trip up which happens.

I sat fours rows from front yesterday and he played on left so I saw him quite close....he looked frustrated there was no options and when he did try something it either didn't pay off or the receiving player messed up.

Not his best day but needs better intelligent players around him

• Like 1

When he first arrived, Coutinho formed a nice understanding with JJ. With one up two, Kamara and Luiz protecting the midfield, we could see that partnership develop once again. 

**** it, play Bailey with them and Emi as a false 9!

Stan Fraudiola!

I would like to see Coutinho playing in a Villa side where Gerrard isn't the manager to see how he gets on. If he flops under another manager then yeah there is more evidence that it is player related.

As it is hardly anyone is currently playing to their full potential including Coutinho.

Saying that one thing I have been disappointed about is his shooting. I had hoped/expected that his shooting would be better (harder shots / more accurate) but largely just haven't seen that.

Let's hope he can step it up a level as the club have invested a hell of a lot in the player.

Coutinho is a vanity signing and we should take it for what it is and the fact he’s raised our profile. 

He needs to realise that he lacks the dynamism of before his injuries and adapt his game so that his intelligence, vision passing and touch are still effectively utilised. 

He still makes Scholes style late runs into the box and his finishing is good.

But Buendia should be starting instead of him if it’s a straight choice between the two.

Funnily enough in the two 10’s formation they haven’t been too bad together.

Â