Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

9 hours ago, jim said:

I know right. Crackers not playing him unless he of course got an injury and missed some training and hasn’t been 100% ready. 

The manager has already stated as much and reaffirmed Emi B will get plenty of starts.

A key word you missed in that post was "keeps", indicating an ongoing pattern, one that presumably stretches beyond just the most recent game or 2.

And wouldn't you know it, since Watford at home last season (16 games ago), Buendia has just started 4 games (534 minutes, 3 goals, 3 assists). Coutinho 14 (1125 minutes, 3 goals, 1 assist). They only started together twice in that time, one of them memorably on the final day.

At this point, actions speak louder than words. It's pretty clear which way the wind blows on this matter. That could (hopefully) change of course. If the manager can figure out a way to play them both together, even better.

Edited by Keyblade

I don’t think the fact that Gerrard keeps picking him is as baffling as many people seem to think. Coutinho appears to be a confidence player, so I imagine Gerrard’s thinking is that with after a run of games, he’ll start to play better.

Whether or not that’s the right call, however… I mean, there has to be a cut-off point, right? Especially since Buendia is so effective in his stead. It’s a tricky one, but Gerrard probably knows that dropping Phil will do absolutely nothing for his confidence, so I reckon he keeps picking him in the hopes that it will all eventually click.

Edited by Ginko

On 14/08/2022 at 21:24, Strog said:

Fair comment, we do have a deep squad. It just didn’t quite work at time yesterday for me until Buendia came on. I’m hoping SG can find the right team and formation to get the best out of the talented player we have. Phil doesn’t need to start every game, I just don’t think he works well in a two up top system.

Countiho's time will come and eventually I'm sure we will find a system and a team that will suit him, he's a quality player. But with our midfield problems leaving us weak defensively we need a player who's more aggressive in the press , Beundia.

Ings, Watkins and Beundia should force the opposition to go long with their pressing. 

• Like 1

Read a piece about Villa's out of possession Defending against Everton at the weekend and how Coutinho did a good job of occupying certain positions. Must say this went unnoticed from me as I'm just looking at his attacking output. 

Still think Buendia is a better option going forward but it's nice to have two quality players to rotate

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Countiho's time will come and eventually I'm sure we will find a system and a team that will suit him, he's a quality player. But with our midfield problems leaving us weak defensively we need a player who's more aggressive in the press , Beundia.

Ings, Watkins and Beundia should force the opposition to go long with their pressing. 

I think I agree with this he’s clearly still a decent player, most of the games he’s played he’s done fine without setting the world alight. For sure we need more from him in the role he’s playing and Buendia is offering that. But I still feel like he’s got a lot of quality to give just not sure how we best bring that out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Buendia should possibly be starting instead of Coutinho.

The last time I looked, Beundia wasn't even in the squad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/08/2022 at 21:24, paul514 said:

Buendia and Bailey should be starting and if Coutinho wants to play he is going to need to pull up some trees 

He can start with my garden I need some trees uprooting. Use it as training 😂

3 hours ago, PeterSw said:

Read a piece about Villa's out of possession Defending against Everton at the weekend and how Coutinho did a good job of occupying certain positions. Must say this went unnoticed from me as I'm just looking at his attacking output. 

He did win the ball back a few times in our half in fairness but it says a lot that we are defending his tracking back and not his on the ball performance

Its like United fans last season as Ronaldo chased back to his own half but thats not what you sign him for

Â