Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

33 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

This is a big problem for Gerrard

If anyone else was curious, that's 3 wins and 12 points in 13 games

It's also 6 wins since the start of the year, with 23 points from 21 games. Outside of those first 6 games that we got 12 points from, the results have been pretty poor.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

One thing about him that really grates is the fact that he talks a good game, says a lot of good things but then does the opposite on a lot of them. Makes him seem duplicitous.

Remember that time he told us to expect big changes then fielded an (almost?) unchanged team? :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Can somebody, anybody, tell me one improvement he's made to performances or style of play? 

This, to me, is far worse than what Deano was sacked for.

It won't define our season, so don't worry about it.. 😂

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We could have won today and still a problem. Absolute no system and have not had one under him

This is my biggest worry.  One off results can happen, but how can we still have a system and way of playing after 7 months of Gerrard.

This is how I see it. 

Gérrard attracted bigger named players that maybe Dean Smith couldn't attract. 

Are those "bigger" names any better than what we had playing there? Is Digne that much better than Targett? or Coutinho that much better than Buendia? We wait to see whether Carlos is better than Mings or Kamara is better than say Luiz or Nakamba. 

The manager will be on bigger wages and so probably are his backing staff. 

Coutinho and Digne will have certainly been out on much bigger money than other starters and who knows what we're paying Kamara and Carlos. 

Is there an overall gain? I mean, do we sacrifice attracting bigger named players for the increase in wage bill if there's no overall improblvement on the pitch in terms of results/league position? 

Also, we've seen a regression in Watkins, Buendia, Konsa. 

Did we really look so creative in pre-season that our manager couldn't see a shortfall there? Was Mings really much worse than Konsa last season? 

Why did it take so long to make changes today? We regressed in the first 10 minutes of the second half. Surely he could have made changes earlier with 5 subs now available and being a goal down? 

I'm not saying Gerrard isn't the man but, I've not seen enough so far to say that he is. 

• Like 4

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.

I've defended Gerrard time and again but today is indefensible. He is approaching that point of no return that Deano hit, where it was difficult for even his staunchest supporters to get behind him.

I think we'll see a change before October.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Why?

He would give him more time but hasn't seen anything during his tenure that makes it worth replacing Smith with Gerrard..........We have no style, no identity and Gerrard appears oblivious to most of the issues.

36 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

One thing about him that really grates is the fact that he talks a good game, says a lot of good things but then does the opposite on a lot of them. Makes him seem duplicitous.

He's Steve Bruce.

Right now the gloves are off! Nobodies place his safe! I'm going to do it my way! We need to do this! We need to show that!

Picks the same 11 plays the same way makes the same subs 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grobs said:

Why do we never draw? It’s weird how little draws we have as a club in the prem recently 

We used up our quota of draws for the next 10 years under RDM

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

He would give him more time but hasn't seen anything during his tenure that makes it worth replacing Smith with Gerrard..........We have no style, no identity and Gerrard appears oblivious to most of the issues.

I agree with all that but he's signed some new players and deserves time to start implementing his new ideas. I'm not holding out any hope that he actually achieves it but we can't sack him yet. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's Steve Bruce.

Right now the gloves are off! Nobodies place his safe! I'm going to do it my way! We need to do this! We need to show that!

Picks the same 11 plays the same way makes the same subs 

We wouldn't have lost this under Bruce because we would have had Mings in there for his aerial ability

Edited by a-k

54 minutes ago, Strog said:

I feel the SG appointment was a risk on Purslow's part and to date we haven’t seen a great deal of improvement compared with Deano's tenure. If he does pull the trigger the next appointment needs to be an experienced head coach, if he gets it wrong Purslow’s position will be in jeopardy.

It feels like the NSWE were unsure who to appoint after Dean and put full trust in Purslow, who chose his mate. It's backfired spectacularly and will conyinue to get worse

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I genuinely can’t. Over his tenure (and for whatever reasons) Deano was better and we were actually entertaining to watch. And we gave the top sides a game too…

He restored pride in the club. I haven’t felt much pride at all during SG’s time.

I'm probably being reactionary and irrational, but I can't shake the feeling Gerrard feels he's doing us a favour being our manager.

Smith was so likable, competent and seemed always keen to learn. Gerrard just comes across as the opposite of those traits and I'm struggling to see past them.

• Like 3

Â