Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Of course, but it was just as true (as in over the same amount of games) at the end of the season as it was at 14.59 today.

Yes, exactly. "3 wins in 12" (or whatever the stat was) makes the point perfectly. "3 wins since March" doesn't really mean much.

Edited by Mantis

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm hoping in a couple of weeks we can look back and laugh at ourselves on an " overreaction ".

However he's certainly put a tonne load of pressure on himself from the off, almost guaranteed we'll need to pull off a couple of big results and performances against higher tier teams to get fans more relaxed again.

Otherwise it could be one of the quickest Manager turnarounds I can remember.

I've always said I'm one of those who is all the way with the Manager until I'm not.

Today has eroded a large chunk of my " unwavering" backing.

Let's see how I feel tomorrow 

It’s not so much the result but the performance today was utterly appallling and very very poor - gerrard needs to sort things fast 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yes, exactly. "3 wins in 12" (or whatever the stat was) makes the point perfectly. "3 wins since March" doesn't really mean much.

11 points in 12 games.. Last manager got sacked for that

• Like 2

Made me pine for the days of DOL today. I went from pro Gerrard to seriously considering if he is good enough today. Reminds me of one of my old sales managers. Brilliant with words but not so much with actions. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm hoping in a couple of weeks we can look back and laugh at ourselves on an " overreaction ".

However he's certainly put a tonne load of pressure on himself from the off, almost guaranteed we'll need to pull off a couple of big results and performances against higher tier teams to get fans more relaxed again.

Otherwise it could be one of the quickest Manager turnarounds I can remember.

I've always said I'm one of those who is all the way with the Manager until I'm not.

Today has eroded a large chunk of my " unwavering" backing.

Let's see how I feel tomorrow 

We could have won today and still a problem. Absolute no system and have not had one under him

• Like 1

Not really looking forward to the calendar year results discussion that we had with Smith and 2021 only it's Gerrard and 2022 and with people having swapped sides.

• Like 2

Sadly SG cannot get a tune out of this group of players and there’s no obvious system or way of playing. The squad should be good enough but the form from the latter part of last season seems to have carried through. I was not totally convinced by SGs appointment due to his lack experience. Sure he has brought in some very good players but they are not gelling. Of course this is Purslow's appointment so it will be interesting to see how he reacts should the poor form continue. 

i have never been in the hard pro or anti Gerrard camp, he does seem to have his negatives for me (formation/tactics, constantly playing McGinn etc), but he has also attracted a calibre of players here that we wouldnt have attracted under Deano.

However, its a results business, and todays loss felt identical to last seasons Watford game, a complete capitulation, no apparent tactics, most players a mess, totally, completely unacceptable.

My worry is, i dont think much will change in the 11, McGinn, Konsa and Ramsey should be benched, others should be given their chance (such as Sanson, Luiz, Chambers, Mings, Buendia etc).

For me, today just felt like the beginning of Deano's demise, the Watford result was the beginning of the end for Deano (after a dodgy end to the previous season, culminating in the 5 losses), if Gerrard isnt careful, this could be the beginning of the end, i hope it isnt, because i want Villa to do well, but today was completely and utterly unacceptable, and if he doesnt learn the lessons and change something, it doesnt look good i dont think.

Edited by MaVilla

4 minutes ago, Strog said:

Sadly SG cannot get a tune out of this group of players and there’s no obvious system or way of playing. The squad should be good enough but the form from the latter part of last season seems to have carried through. I was not totally convinced by SGs appointment due to his lack experience. Sure he has brought in some very good players but they are not gelling. Of course this is Purslow's appointment so it will be interesting to see how he reacts should the poor form continue. 

Deano was also a Purslow appointment, so if needed the same thing will happen.

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Ok. So why do we never dominate the middle of the park? I can never remember us bossing the game from the middle of the park. We are poor in possession and even worse out of it.

Define dominate the middle? Today Villa had the majority of possession, we had the ball in the middle a lot. The main problem was we couldn’t progress in control and create good chances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah but some have convinced themselves that Purslow is in love with Gerrard and is willing to sacrifice everything just to ensure he stays in the job. It's a bit weird. If things continue going downhill Gerrard will be gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Yeah but some have convinced themselves that Purslow is in love with Gerrard and is willing to sacrifice everything just to ensure he stays in the job. It's a bit weird. If things continue going downhill Gerrard will be gone.

Purslow will be gone if we continue to lose and Gerrard is not given the boot

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I feel the SG appointment was a risk on Purslow's part and to date we haven’t seen a great deal of improvement compared with Deano's tenure. If he does pull the trigger the next appointment needs to be an experienced head coach, if he gets it wrong Purslow’s position will be in jeopardy.

Â