Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Wanted him to do well ,it started ok but in the last  13 games we have only beaten Burnley and Norwich ! He can talk about Europe all he wants but what's on the pitch isn't backing those comments up.

I've the same vibes I had near the end of Smith .He has 10 games at most to turn it around or he will be gone and of I was owners I would be questioning Purslow as well 

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Apparently, his record now (after 25 games) is worse than that of Gary Neville managing Valencia.

I desperately want him to do well. For Villa's sake and because I enjoy listening to him.

He's assembled probably the strongest squad we've had since O'Neill's heyday. Whether he can do something with it is going to be of huge importance to both us and him.

Its worse than Sherwoods Villa record

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He won't be taking Klopps job anytime soon then. 😆

Well no because Klopp is a coach and Liverpool would appoint a head coach.

Gerrard is not a coach. His analogue in a digital world.

He basically does **** all. So we've had 2 championship managers running the side and we look like a championship team 

It's a shambles 

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Apparently, his record now (after 25 games) is worse than that of Gary Neville managing Valencia.

I desperately want him to do well. For Villa's sake and because I enjoy listening to him.

He's assembled probably the strongest squad we've had since O'Neill's heyday. Whether he can do something with it is going to be of huge importance to both us and him.

Yes, Garry Neville managed 10 wins and 7 draws in his 28 games with Valencia. 

Gerrard has 10 wins and 5 draws in his 29 games with us. 

• Thanks 1

I was open minded about the Gerrard appointment. I was dubious when he was first linked but by the time his first game came around, I was excited about the future and felt this might be one of those masterstroke gambles that pays off. In spite of his good start, performances on the pitch left me with little confidence by the end of last season that he was the man to take us forward. 

But I was hopeful that with a full pre season with the team and the opportunity to make new signings, he would come good. I know today is only one game and my sentiments may be premature but I’ve now lost all confidence in Gerrard. Today looked as hopeless as any performance last season and it begs the question what they’ve been doing in pre season. It was so bad that I can’t even see how he can possibly make any meaningful level of improvement. Appointing McGinn, who should be a squad player, as his captain was already a warning sign. His comments around inheriting Mings as captain, as if he was some sort of bad smell, were unfair in my opinion and his assertion that he needed to seemingly appoint his own captain just for the sake of it smack of narcissism to me. Would he need to change captain if Franz Beckenbauer was the incumbent? His comments after today’s game also reflect some cluelessness, suggesting Bournemouth never opened us opened when they clearly opened us up enough to score four or five goals. 

My biggest concern is that Gerrard is Purslow’s man and could be the hill Purslow is willing to die on, translating to anything more than 18th would be enough to keep Gerrard in situ. I can see us languishing in the bottom half and keeping Gerrard, wasting yet another season when we do have some talented players a good manager could work with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daft said:

Winning mentalities takes years and years to build. It must permeate everything about the club, from facilities to community outreach, to marketing to which players you recruit. And to do that you need a baseline stability, not just lots of money and ambition. You need to be able to attract someone that can imprint their identity on the club, and start to build on those ambitions in relative comfort.

I am quite frankly a it worried by their decision to appoint a relatively inexperienced manager, but now that he's here it is either give him time (more than he's had) or sack him now and make damn **** sure you get someone recognized and proven in.

Personally, I am not sure managers like Poccetino are even an option for us even if Gerrard goes by himself. 

Tell that to Eddie Howe 

• Like 2

It just all feels completely wrong at the moment, as it did from the start. I almost feel for SG, in that every decision he makes feels bungled and goes wrong instantly. It took 2 minutes today for his big decisions to crumble. I've always been frustrated to read the likes of 'learning on the job', but that's exactly what's happening here, and it's excruciating to see.

I just can't see this working out, sadly. He seems to have the anti-Midas touch here. Fair play to him for taking the job, but it seems he almost certainly needs to drop down a league or two to step out of the white heat of pressure to grow as a manager. The Villa job has chewed up and spat out much more talented and competent managers than Gerrard.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I've the same vibes I had near the end of Smith .He has 10 games at most to turn it around or he will be gone and of I was owners I would be questioning Purslow as well 

I’ve no particular view on Purslow because so much of running the club is behind the scenes, but I think the owners would say appointing managers is just a part of his job (and a decision they input into). He seems to be doing a good job on many other things - from player recruitment (despite performances!) to commercial performance to ground redevelopment to finding a way round FFP via the stadium hack when we were getting promoted - I don’t think a coach doing badly will cost him his job. Edens knows from the NBA that running a team is about more than that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grobs said:

One thing I noticed at the back end of last season and again today is lack of care about losing. Where is the anger and frustration?

Doesn't that point to lack of belief in what they're being told?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its worse than Sherwoods Villa record

No, Sherwood had 10 wins and 2 draws in 28 games. 

Gerrard had 10 wins and 5 draws in 28 (now 29). 

I mean it’s bad that they are in the same ballpark but Sherwood’s time was still worse. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Our most positive YouTuber / Podcaster ( Luke ) from UTV Podcast is absolutely fuming, which takes some doing. Lol

Yeah, I was all doom and gloom in the comments of their preview. Unfortunately I was right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I’ve no particular view on Purslow because so much of running the club is behind the scenes, but I think the owners would say appointing managers is just a part of his job (and a decision they input into). He seems to be doing a good job on many other things - from player recruitment (despite performances!) to commercial performance to ground redevelopment to finding a way round FFP via the stadium hack when we were getting promoted - I don’t think a coach doing badly will cost him his job. Edens knows from the NBA that running a team is about more than that.

Imagine if we had a strong director of football, an expert, who could pick the next manager. (The ceo and board would have to sign off of course)

Â