Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Between his comments on injuries, tackles , living with the pain of a full blooded career and this looking in your eyes shite he's a proper yer da type.

He's old school and not in a good way. He's Souness and he's 40 year old. No style of play. No coaching. Just a cheque book and old fashioned views.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On the flip side, i'm wondering if Tyrone reacted really badly behind the scenes, or is a bit of a billy big bollox.

Obviously we don't know, and perhaps we should keep an open mind, but if I had to guess which of the two people involved is the billy big bollocks, it wouldn't be Mings.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Between his comments on injuries, tackles , living with the pain of a full blooded career and this looking in your eyes shite he's a proper yer da type.

He's old school and not in a good way. He's Souness and he's 40 year old. No style of play. No coaching. Just a cheque book and old fashioned views.

Now come on that’s not a fair comparison. Souness won 7 league titles as a player and trophies as a manager with 4 different clubs. At least he could back up his old man views ;)

When will this club learn? 

The amount of managers we've had who are either a risk - Garde, Gerrard, Sherwood - or have divided the fan base - McLeish, Bruce & now Gerrard. 

We don't need a 'Big name' who can sign his has been mates he used to play with, we need a manager who has a clear idea of a style of play, can get the best out of a squad and doesn't alienate players the fans have a huge affinity with. 

Sooner Gerrard goes the better. I can't listen to a word that comes out his mouth anymore, because he does the total opposite. He has no idea what he's doing - Watkins & Ings is a prime example - all summer he's playing them both, then opening game drops Watkins. It's such shit management and I think we have a big problem now with unhappy players in this team. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's both possible that Deano should have been sacked, and that Gerrard might be the wrong Manager. lol

Again, they aren't mutually exclusive.

Exactly. We’ve under NSWE tried two different managers, none of whom had any experience from a big league in Europe. It’s very possible none of them are that good.

I'm pretty certain that at Rangers, Gerrard had the same approach - zero tactical awareness, protect the hairline and put out a decent interview. He had success and was revered in a piss poor league where he only had to be better than one team to win the league (failing in two out of three seasons).

He then gets a job in a competitive league with the same approach. No tactics, just vibes, protect the hairline and give a cracking interview.

Now he's under pressure and not being revered by all and sundry, he's lashing out randomly at certain players. 

It's all falling apart.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm pretty certain that at Rangers, Gerrard had the same approach - zero tactical awareness, protect the hairline and put out a decent interview. He had success and was revered in a piss poor league where he only had to be better than one team to win the league (failing in two out of three seasons).

He then gets a job in a competitive league with the same approach. No tactics, just vibes, protect the hairline and give a cracking interview.

Now he's under pressure and not being revered by all and sundry, he's lashing out randomly at certain players. 

It's all falling apart.

Hey. I'll not have a bad word said about that hairline pal.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

There is such a huge disconnect between Gerrard and the fans. He just doesn’t get what we see. This won’t work out and I strongly suspect he will be out of a job soon. Yet another wasted season. 

The issue is that he has absolutely no connection to the club whatsoever. Whether we admit it or not - we are a club that likes our managers to have some affinity to Aston Villa - that’s just how it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChesterDad said:

The issue is that he has absolutely no connection to the club whatsoever. Whether we admit it or not - we are a club that likes our managers to have some affinity to Aston Villa - that’s just how it is.

I don't think that's particularly true if the manager is one we think can do a good enough job. Look at the hero worship of O'Neill when he first arrived. We even had fans chanting for Paul Lambert at Norwich

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Smith took us from the bottom half of the Championship to midtable in the premier league. That may have been his ceiling but he proved to be as good a manager as we’ve had in a long time.

Highest achievements since I’ve been watching (1990) - the importance of promotion overtaking the League Cup wins and the three good years under MON. Whether he’d hit his ceiling or not he deserves to be talked about with a lot of respect and as a successful appointment. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm trying not to make my Love for Tyrone skew my vision but I don't find this productive at all, it's like publicising a bust up.

On the flip side, i'm wondering if Tyrone reacted really badly behind the scenes, or is a bit of a billy big bollox.

Sometimes unpopular choices are made with regimes and player fall outs ( Think Abamuayeng and Arteta ) ?

I'm all up for a Manager " stamping his authority " but surely there's a way to do it strategically? ( Like not with such a big character at the club and popular player )

Just don't know what to think but it all feels a bit shite atm.

Mings is a marmite personality, we can all see that, and he’s unusual in English football in having gone to a middle class school in an affluent part of England. You can see why he might not be Gerrard’s cup of tea (and fwiw I think this is completely unrelated to all the good stuff Mings does on racism, etc).

What bothers me is that Gerrard has basically said McGinn is now undroppable, and he’s been out of form for a while, and looks like he’s hit a ceiling.

If McGinn comes good, then this will all be validated. But my worry is Gerrard just likes McGinn’s personality and fighting spirit and is ignoring the fact that the guy just isn’t technically good enough to be playing 90 mins week in week out for a club targeting European qualification.

It all feels like a bit of a mess. I would have given the captaincy to Martinez, let Mings lose his place if you aren’t sure about him, and stop creating unnecessary problems for yourself.

It’s not that Gerrard is definitely wrong about any of these things, it’s more that he seems to trap himself a bit with some of his decisions. He creates stories and dramas that don’t really help. Smith was much better at presenting everything as a temporary decision based on form, injuries, etc. I don’t want us to go back to the old ways of players being bombed out and losing interest.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 4

Are we? I don't care about that sort of stuff (although it's a nice bonus), I just want good football and good results, which unfortunately neither Smith nor Gerrard have offered much of in the past 18 months or so.

Did Big Ron have an affiliation (genuine question - I’m not aware of one but don’t know his playing career at all)? Pre Smith I’d say he, MON and Little are the most popular I remember - Gregory to an extent - so a mix between people who had the affinity or built it.

Â