Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

His big decisions are looking really poor. Feels strange to say this early in the season, but next week is a massive game for him. 

We should be beating the Everton side on paper (judging on the one they’ve put out today). Lose that and he is under massive pressure with four or five tricky games afterwards. 

• Like 1

his ego will cost him his job , sanson not even in squad , mings not starting , picking his mates. If he believes we were ok defensively we are in trouble , take the best header of the ball out of the backline and thats what happens

Edited by mattyvilla

I’m a little fed up of hearing that we haven’t shown enough quality in the game and “that’s on me”. Heard this numerous times last season and same old comments already this season.

Now I’m not saying he should go but blimey I don’t honestly think he knows his best eleven and how to play them? That’s the worry for me right now.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Gerrard doesn’t look healthy at all in that pic a few posts up. Looks like he put on weight and started drinking heavily.

edit: this

99729823-B081-4922-9D34-B724E2DE1F17.jpeg

Someone has clearly photoahoped him onto bruce

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

It's not an issue exclusive to Gerrard but I'm beyond fed up of - outside of the odd exception - being envious of the opposition in most games that they have a clearer identity, structure, and ability to do the simple things well.

To my knowledge, Gerrard's idea of how he wants his teams is to look is aggressive and able to control a game, yet plays one of the most passive defenders imaginable in Konsa and two midfielders in McGinn and Ramsey who are among the worst going for the amount of passes they attempt and complete.

Added to that we seem to be extraordinarily reliant on crosses despite not having attacking players comfortable with this. I find it all quite confusing and despite willing to suspend my pessimism due to new signings and a fresh season etc don't really see it changing too dramatically either.

It feels like the Bruce era again. Being envious of the likes of Brentford and Fulham for having clear identities after the play us off the pitch.

I wouldn't say it was the case today as Bournemouth weren't that great, all they had to do was win 2 headers to come away with 3 points 

10 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I’m a little fed up of hearing that we haven’t shown enough quality in the game and “that’s on me”. Heard this numerous times last season and same old comments already this season.

Now I’m not saying he should go but blimey I don’t honestly think he knows his best eleven and how to play them? That’s the worry for me right now.

Always comes across as the "that's on me" comments are insincere as he never elaborates on what he feels he could have differently, it's taking responsibility at arms length. Maybe I'm just nit-picking at this point but in either case I still think after 9 months he hasn't really captured the hearts of many of the villa faithful 

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

But who’s better? Do you really think that one of this Country’s finest ever centre mids, who spends every day with his players, doesn’t know who his best three centre mids are?

Yes. As good as Gerrard could be, he was an explosive player, not a clever one.

He's in a hole and we're in the hole with him, let's see if he's a winner or just a talented player.

He was always a massive gamble but as a club we have gone all in on him so it's stick or bust, keep the faith. Everton next 😬

Seems to have upset a few players which is a worry when he comments publicly on them - man management doesn’t seem great and neither do his tactics - for me chambers was a far better option than konsa and the midfield issues have not been sorted - needs a result v Everton or fans could really start to voice their disapproval at him 

• Like 1

I'm hoping in a couple of weeks we can look back and laugh at ourselves on an " overreaction ".

However he's certainly put a tonne load of pressure on himself from the off, almost guaranteed we'll need to pull off a couple of big results and performances against higher tier teams to get fans more relaxed again.

Otherwise it could be one of the quickest Manager turnarounds I can remember.

I've always said I'm one of those who is all the way with the Manager until I'm not.

Today has eroded a large chunk of my " unwavering" backing.

Let's see how I feel tomorrow 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Ha, that would be so true if the season ended in March. Unfortunately it didn't.

Of course, but it was just as true (as in over the same amount of games) at the end of the season as it was at 14.59 today.

Edited by a m ole

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Ah.

I think there's only so much they can do. I don't know how to rectify the underlying mental issues.

Winning mentalities takes years and years to build. It must permeate everything about the club, from facilities to community outreach, to marketing to which players you recruit. And to do that you need a baseline stability, not just lots of money and ambition. You need to be able to attract someone that can imprint their identity on the club, and start to build on those ambitions in relative comfort.

I am quite frankly a it worried by their decision to appoint a relatively inexperienced manager, but now that he's here it is either give him time (more than he's had) or sack him now and make damn **** sure you get someone recognized and proven in.

Personally, I am not sure managers like Poccetino are even an option for us even if Gerrard goes by himself. 

Â