Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I don't think that's particularly true if the manager is one we think can do a good enough job. Look at the hero worship of O'Neill when he first arrived

Look it’s one of those that I can’t quantify in any way - but neither can it be denied.

it’s something that having followed us since 1976 I have always felt 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

There is such a huge disconnect between Gerrard and the fans. He just doesn’t get what we see. This won’t work out and I strongly suspect he will be out of a job soon. Yet another wasted season. 

Yeah I'm not going to lie, I have to put away my dislike of the man and try to see the positive aspects of his management as I want us to do well.  I still struggle to see why he was so overwhelmingly our number 1 choice and couldn't see many other CEOs making the same call.  I think he will be here a long while yet so I'm hoping there is an upturn.  The Mings thing just seems so pointless, Tyrone is likely to see the 'look him in the eye' thing as an utter clichéd, pathetic load of irrelevant horseshite.  It just beggars belief.

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Did Big Ron have an affiliation (genuine question - I’m not aware of one but don’t know his playing career at all)? Pre Smith I’d say he, MON and Little are the most popular I remember - Gregory to an extent - so a mix between people who had the affinity or built it.

I’m pretty sure Big Ron was with us as a youngster - although I am happy to stand corrected on this.

these things are very difficult to evidence, however as a villan of over 45 years - I do believe this to be the case 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

I know it's the first game of the season but the overarching stats from last season are quite damning. 

Full Time: Bournemouth (0.51) 2-0 (0.61) Aston Villa

Starting this season as we finished the last, now with 6 wins in 23 and just 2 in our last 12 - both against relegated sides.

Gerrard’s PL win rate now 34.5% at 1.2 PPG, both worse than Smith’s last year in the job. 

So, considering the level of backing given which is much higher than other teams, which have outperformed villa since Gerrard arrived it is quite shocking. We hear about the pull of Gerrard to get players in based on his name value after his incredible playing career, this is clear. The issue is does he know what to do with them once they arrive? The statistics so far suggest clearly not. There has been almost no improvement over what Smith served up and got the sack. 

Gerrard has mates in the media that will defend him to the hilt regardless of the facts and statistics that do not lie being available to demonstrate the level of performance being achieved by Gerrard. The owners want Europe. Based on what we have seen this far since taking over I would argue we are even further away from it than when he joined. 

Will Purslow fall on his sword for this appointment or will he admit he made a mistake and act before it's too late? If we give Gerrard even more money now to spend what happens when he gets the sack and the new manager doesn't fancy those players and we end up trying to shift another bunch of dead wood all over again. The 3 year sack and replace cycle begins again doesn't it . Are the player's bought in by the Gerrard pull realising that he's not actually all that good as a manager tactically and can't set a team up to maximise it's strength and hide it's weakness?

Genuinely I don't know what they should do. I'm tempted to cut off the spending and make him work with what he has now. If he can't then he must go, sadly.

Edited by Pissflaps

5 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Look it’s one of those that I can’t quantify in any way - but neither can it be denied.

It's the same for every club, mate. What connection did Big Ron or Graham Taylor have with the club? Absolutely adored for what they achieved. That's the connection we have/had with them, one that was created.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Based on what other than a hunch?

A couple of hunches? He thought SG was destined to be a top manager already when he was at Liverpool, and he (Purslow) is a self described ”fanatical Liverpool fan”. As for famous players he also tried to appoint Thierry Henry

This isn't the reason we lost today but why on earth did he not have Sanson on the bench?

He clearly had no intention of bringing Mings on today, given his post match comments, but bottled dropping him completely. As a result he had no space for a man that looked like our best centre mid in pre season.  What is that logic from SG?

The consequence of his bizarre feud with Ty is that he has forced himself into appointing a new captain. A new captain that shouldn't have started today's game based on form. Alienated the midfielder that could have started instead.  Started a centre back that shouldn't have started today's game on form.  And ultimately heaped a load of pressure on himself.

He's now backed into a corner on Mings and McGinn, and he'll be very lucky to get out of it with a job. He needs to admit he got it wrong and make some massive changes for Everton. He won't though.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Did Big Ron have an affiliation (genuine question - I’m not aware of one but don’t know his playing career at all)? Pre Smith I’d say he, MON and Little are the most popular I remember - Gregory to an extent - so a mix between people who had the affinity or built it.

He was brought up in Brum and played for the Villa youth before playing non league. Villa was/is his club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He makes calls that if he were Antonio Conte, nobody would bat an eyelid. But he's not Antonio Conte, and the calls ain't working out and he just looks silly and stubborn.

Amph - TOP GUN 2 (now with 100% more jon hamm) | Page 3 | Jedi Council  Forums

Apparently, his record now (after 25 games) is worse than that of Gary Neville managing Valencia.

I desperately want him to do well. For Villa's sake and because I enjoy listening to him.

He's assembled probably the strongest squad we've had since O'Neill's heyday. Whether he can do something with it is going to be of huge importance to both us and him.

• Like 1

Â