The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, villatillidie1980 said:

This appointment just becomes more bizarre with that deal length (yes I know that’s when Klopp’s runs out).  Purslow working for Liverpool now(again)? Lining up managers for them and using us as a testing/training ground?  Are we Liverpool B team?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This appointment just becomes more bizarre with that deal length (yes I know that’s when Klopp’s runs out).  Purslow working for Liverpool now(again)? Lining up managers for them and using us as a testing/training ground?  Are we Liverpool B team?

And then do we wave goodbye to a couple of our best players when they want to go with him.  Is that going to be the selling point to any new players we want to sign? Come to a Villa and then I’ll take you to Liverpool in a couple of years? They could have made it a little less obvious.

• Like 1

Couldn’t give a shit if he goes to Liverpool in 2 years, least it would mean he had been successful here.

Does seem a very short contract though. Maybe there are extension triggers if he does well and if not less compensation to give him the boot.

For me 

17 minutes ago, Villastine said:

With all due respect Pochettino was highly rated and had done a great job in La Liga with a broke club. His tactical approach and emphasis on developing youth players (through necessity really as they kept selling his best players) had got the attention of media and clubs alike. 

Cortese appointed him because he perfectly fitted what they wanted to do at Southampton. Sell star players, develop youth team players etc. 

Gerrards not had to do that and when Rangers (approaching bankruptcy) tightened the purse strings he threw his toys out the pram. 

How many youth team players has he brought through in 3 years in a league where many games are won at half time? 

This is one of my main worries. The other being he isn't that good anyway.

If we fail to bring through the likes of Chukwuemeka, Iroegbunam and Kessler then that most would mostly likely mean the manager failed to give them sufficient opportunities. I can easily see a first team made-up of 4 or 5 from the under 23's in two or three years time if nurtured correctly and given sufficient opportunities. It would save us millions.

We wouldn't be a premier league team back in 2019-20 season had it not been for developing Jack. We wouldn't have had 100m to spend in the summer either. Spurs wouldn't be where they were if they didn't bring through Kane, West Ham if not for Rice. If you want to break that top 6 you need to do more than buy wisely, you also need to produce a few as well. Man U  didn't become the dominant force until Beckham, Scholes, Nevilles, Butt broke through.

developing 2 or 3 top class players to bring through together would be a game changer, and we have a chance to do that if handled right. Where would Chelsea be now if James and Mount weren't brought through by Lampard. That's 150m of talent. Or what about the 60 odd million they made from selling Tammy and Tomori? Would they have been able to buy Lukaku? People shit on Lampard but his work in developing players was very good. He has proved more than Gerrard, so who wants Lampard?

Edited by Philosopher

oh come on people, it just means that we give him the rest of this season then two more to make a mark. it's like some of you lot are digging tooth and nail for things to whip our upper brass with XD.

• Like 2

I think people are being very naive with Gerrard and the idea that he's going to manage Liverpool, it's highly unlikely that it will ever happen, their aim is to challenge for titles and European Cups, so are going to want a world class manager to help them achieve that, and given that they probably won't have a budget to match some of their rivals then it's more important for them to have one of the best managers in the world to help them make up the difference...

Unless Gerrard has us playing the Champions League and maybe has won a trophy he probably won't even be considered for the Liverpool job.

Also Klopp's contract will probably be extended anyway.

• Like 2