The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Exactly. He’ll have done an outstanding job at Villa if he’s given the Liverpool job 2.5 years from now. We will likely be in Europe, safe from the threat of relegation and have a squad of quality that’s starting to reach their peak. We will be looking for a much higher calibre of manager than we’re used to.

the horror, the horror!

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Exactly. He’ll have done an outstanding job at Villa if he’s given the Liverpool job 2.5 years from now. We will likely be in Europe, safe from the threat of relegation and have a squad of quality that’s starting to reach their peak. We will be looking for a much higher calibre of manager than we’re used to.

Who knows Klopp may well decide to stay on a bit longer - we can always extend Steve’s deal if need be - now let’s this show on the road 

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If it’s true Re Gerrards imminent   appointment ,  I’d love to know what made the board look around at all the current managers available , weigh up their careers , their training methods , what they’ve won  , what they can do for the club and it’s players to improve them  … and come to the conclusion Steven Gerrard is the best candidate … I’m not necessarily saying he isn’t , I’d just be curious to know , as the suspicion is that this was a done deal some time ago and nobody else was even interviewed .

time will tell if they’ve got it right … or wrong … 

Rightly or wrongly :-

1.he was a great player.

2. He's done reasonably well at Rangers.

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If we produce a manager that Liverpool to take from us, I will be a happy man. 

If Liverpool take him in 2.5 years time, we will have a much better managers lining up to interview for the job.

Yeah given we didn’t go after a much better manager now, I’m not sure much better managers in the future matter 😉😂😂😂

6 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Take out the 5 defeats in a row and 2021 hasn't been too bad. Jack Grealish is a massive miss. He's world class, what are we supposed to expect European qualifications form without him?!!

Graham Potter for example would be a far better appointment imo. Great with young players, his teams are well organised, plays good football on the front foot. Brummie, with links to the club, he is clearly the most outstanding option. Especially when compared to Gerrard. 

My only relief is that we aren't getting Martinez. 

As for smug face Purslow.  He always strikes me as very smug. His entrapment moment with the sun's fake sheik was a fine moment of unabashed brown nosing. He doesn't have the greatest reputation quite frankly..

I would go a little further and say it was better than 'wasn't bad' before 2021. Promotion and safety were presumably Dean's targets and he delivered. Everyone is happy. I am very grateful to Dean for what he has done for Villa. But losing Jack didn't help but it highlighted again that he did not know what to do without Jack.

I would have liked Potter too, I think he is very good. But I see the bit of excitement with Gerrard and I am very happy to give him full support. As regards Martinez. I am 100% with u. He would have been the worst possible manager and I am sure that he was quickly crossed off the list, that is if he ever made it onto the list. Purslow can be smug but that doesn't really change his capability to do the job of Villa CEO. He needs to increase our commercial revenue and he should be doing everything he can to achieve this. This should not be a negative

• Like 1

So what about his intentions around our academy stars…will he just cherry pick the best when he goes?

I was excited about this but think we have made ourselves look small time. Anyway, he will definitely motivated to do a good job. Under intense scrutiny actually.

• Like 3

Gerrard has done well to get the Villa job from Rangers. Mark Warburtron went to Forest, Mcleish to Blues and the late Walter Smith went to a Everton who were in decline at the time after winning 7 titles in a row. Strangely Paul Le Gen somehow got the PSG gig after Rangers but that was before they became a superclub and Advocaat went to manager the Netherlands.

Looking at his record its about par with the others. A 60%  rate is about acceptable with Rangers.

41 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We’re at the point now that this thread is more or less redundant. SG is 1/25 with the bookies and the vast majority of the press are reporting it as a virtually done deal. It seems strange that we haven’t got a Steven Gerrard thread open and running. Can the mods throw any light on this? 

I suspect waiting for the fact lady to sing. A couple of weeks ago Emery was joining Toon and before that Favre was joining Palace. There is still time for Purslow to change direction and get R Martinez in

• Sad 1