The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Beat Man U and lose to Southampton.  I think we will see changes, sorry to dissapoint. 

I’ll remind you of that the end of the season…that’s what happens to 50% of teams in the league that are not the elite and not the relegation teams.  I’m still surprised you don’t get that looking at the league table for every season for teams who aren’t the elite or don’t get relegated. I think you’ll be disappointed.

• Like 1

I don’t know. It’s ridiculously wild. I don’t prescribe to the narrative that he’s in a pressure cooker in Glasgow every week. Yes there’s a pressure to win but when your players are vastly superior to the opposition, you invariably will win so his coaching acumen is still something im not sure about. I think he’ll shake the place up , which in the short term will be good , I’m just worried the arse might fall out of it when the buzz goes after a month or 2. Hope im wrong.

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 1

John Terry now Steven Gerrard. Really getting flashbacks to the disappointing ‘Golden Era’ of English football here at Aston Villa. So retro. Assuming we will bring in David Beckham as director of football and Paul Scholes as director of pedicures. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Imagine Gerrard's face when he sees Trezeguet play for the first time.

The funny thing about Trezeguet yes his first touch can be atrocious but without him we would have been relegated in our first season back.His defensive workrate was immense and players like Bailey and Traore although they are far more talented never replicate this.

This leaves our defence more exposed and we concede far more goals.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I’m beginning to suspect this has plan been bubbling on for some time, with Terry and O’Kelly leaving then the arrival of MacPhee, Danks and most recently the stats guy. By all accounts Gerrard is a manager not a coach, I’m wondering if we’ve seen a restructuring of the hierarchy to allow the club to get the coaches in that they want behind the scenes rather than it being the managers selection and have someone like Gerrard who has the on pitch experience to relate to the players without leading the more technical aspects of the coaching. If none of the new guys leave when Gerrard is appointed then the evidence is stacking up.

If it’s the case, my main concern is not Gerrard but the coaches we’ve kept and anyone new we hire.

We only brought in Danks and Mcphee, and Gerrard is bringing his set piece coach with him, so that means Mcphee. For me a set piece coach should have been in addition to, so we were still one staff member light. However I do think they already felt Smith's tenure was coming to an end. The thinking behind Gerrard is as much his name, as his perceived ability as a coach. 

He is a big name that will be enticing to potential targets, and raise the profile of Aston Villa. It was probably always part of the plan to 'upgrade' the manager once they felt Smith had taken Villa as far as could.

Problem is the only upgrade here is the profile of the name, which is added insult to the shabby way Dean Smith has been treated.

As for Gerrard being a manager, we'll still operate with a director of football so he will have to make do with being a head coach!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

The funny thing about Trezeguet yes his first touch can be atrocious but without him we would have been relegated in our first season back.His defensive workrate was immense and players like Bailey and Traore although they are far more talented never replicate this.

This leaves our defence more exposed and we concede far more goals.

I still adore him for his goal celebrations. Absolutely barking mad. Love him.

• Like 4

There were stories before a ball was even kicked this season that the board were considering replacing Smith with Gerrard.

I thought , what a load of old bollocks…

now i wonder if the journalist knew something or just got very lucky 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

John Terry now Steven Gerrard. Really getting flashbacks to the disappointing ‘Golden Era’ of English football here at Aston Villa. So retro. Assuming we will bring in David Beckham as director of football and Paul Scholes as director of pedicures. 

I think that is called getting old

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Decent finisher, zero intelligence.

I wouldn’t disagree.Those goals he scored at the end of the first season were mostly instinc strikes he didn’t have time to think.

But having a forward player doing a lot of defensive work especially against the better sides can make a huge difference.It keeps you in games and prevents you from conceding early which ultimately cost Smith his job in the last few games,

• Like 1