The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

I have seen an advance copy of the press release.

I just love the bit where he  says " I always dreamed of playing for the Villa but was never fortunate enough to have that privilege" 😀

If he (Steven Gerrard) is to be the chosen one, the sooner he takes over the better. I wish him all the best.

UTV

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

You are aware that this post is up there for crazy?? Culture, Community, Identity....But the season nobody could get in the ground, when there was no community or culture was one of your most enjoyable...Crackers you are! 

Way to miss the point, yoda. 

• Haha 3

If he can instill some of his midfielder ethos into ours, it will go a long way.

I've seen McGinn have games where he is almost Gerrard esque ( But just off with all the final product bits - lol ). I reckon he could improve Ginny immensely!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

He won 3 titles 4 domestic cups and 1 European trophy……..so not just Europe.

Well yeah, but I was pointing out Europe so no one would say 'tinpot league'. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think they’ve gone for potential rather than the finished package - a gamble on both sides but let’s hope it pays off 

All managers are a gamble, so the point for me is pointless, pardon the pun.

It all boils down to this......Folk can either see the posibilities in Gerrard or they can't....some will have to wait, and see evidence, I get that.

For me his whole demeanor spells success...I think there will be many, who will be surprised.... but don't expect miracles too soon.

I am as sure as sure can be, this will prove to be a turning point for us....His presence is larger than life and his drive, preceeds him....He attracts winners too.

I know exactly what we will get with SG and I am excited to see it.

I believe, it will prove to be an inspired appointment and the confidence from the owners, will only manifest a huge transfer budget.

I really do, fail to see any negatives here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gerrard is bottom of my list for new managers, but if he’s Purslow’s man, (and better than Zidane) then so be it. 

Hopefully he can inspire the squad, bring some fresh ideas and get them performing to a higher level. Shouldn’t hurt when attracting new players in Jan either.

We go again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

All managers are a gamble, so the point for me is pointless, pardon the pun.

It all boils down to this......Folk can either see the posibilities in Gerrard or they can't....some will have to wait, and see evidence, I get that.

For me his whole demeanor spells success...I think there will be many, who will be surprised.... but don't expect miracles too soon.

I am as sure as sure can be, this will prove to be a turning point for us....His presence is larger than life and his drive, preceeds him....He attracts winners too.

I know exactly what we will get with SG and I am excited to see it.

I believe, it will prove to be an inspired appointment and the confidence from the owners, will only manifest a huge transfer budget.

I really do, fail to see any negatives here.

I’m happy with him coming , change had to be made and it’s early enough in the season to give him time to assess the squad before the next window - I think we will see the new manager bounce as players fight to prove themselves 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I'm with you, Nick.

For some, winning seems to be the be all and end all of supporting a club. For others, it's more than that - there's a sense of culture, community and identity there, which is more important than just being successful. Last season was one of, if not the most enjoyable I've ever had as a Villa fan. 

I understand what you’re saying but for most it’s somewhere in the middle. Cultural identity, the thing that the likes of Man City etc lack, along with a feeling of being in touch with the average fan we obviously had on abundance with Dean.

However we can’t just ignore winning football matches, otherwise you or me could probably do the job. Being one of us just isn’t enough, unless we’re happy with us being a nice lower league club. I don’t think many people would like that. It doesn’t have to be all one or the other, we can be a winning top football club and still retain a cultural identity. 

• Like 1