The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Won't try to shoehorn Ings and Watkins into the same team.

There will be no favorites. At least not initially.

Really looking forward to it.

Will be funny if he does, heads will explode in the pre-match threads.

• Haha 2

Who give two shits what he was like as a player, a man, a husband or a shell suit wearing scouse. If he comes in and does a good job that's great. If not he can be sacked unceremoniously and all the haters can then crack one off. It's a win win. 

Anyway home games, I'm selling curly wigs, moustaches, shell suits and for the adventurous...stanley blades and srewdrivers. All reasonably priced. New pitch under the flyover. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just a little underwhelming for us fans then.  I’m getting behind him but if you told me that we were going to sack Smith and appoint Gerrard a few weeks back I would’ve laughed.  Yes I was a massive fan of Smith and that disappoints me he’s gone but I would’ve said it’s because the owners want more, they are ambitious and will go for the next level manager and that won’t include Gerrard.

People laugh at me because I say we are a midtable team and midtable teams win one, lose one, it’s just the nature of midtable teams.  We’ll beat some big teams and lose to some teams we shouldn’t lose to.  I get laughed at saying that it’s bizarre I accept that reality because it’s unambitious yet the same people accept appointing Gerrard when it would be more ambitious to appoint one of the more higher level managers out there.

I think they’ve gone for potential rather than the finished package - a gamble on both sides but let’s hope it pays off 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I think they’ve gone for potential rather than the finished package - a gamble on both sides but let’s hope it pays off 

Yep, we deserve a bit of luck now…onwards and upwards!

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Who give two shits what he was like as a player, a man, a husband or a shell suit wearing scouse. If he comes in and does a good job that's great. If not he can be sacked unceremoniously and all the haters can then crack one off. It's a win win. 

Anyway home games, I'm selling curly wigs, moustaches, shell suits and for the adventurous...stanley blades and srewdrivers. All reasonably priced. New pitch under the flyover. 

Nice to see a little humour injected here……………….you are joking aren’t you🤪🤪

why I think he is right for the job.....

Quote:

I hate watching footballers and football when there is no physical side and you don’t compete.

"There is a showboating mentality through academies. A lot of kids that play the games think they have to do 10 lollipops or Cruyff turns to look good or stand out. We all love a bit of skill and talent, I love all that, but the other side of the game is huge. It’s massive.”

I'm just pleased to think, he appeciates, this....I am looking forward to how it transcends in to the first team too.

Thats the kind of footballing philosophy, I was expecting from him.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just a little underwhelming for us fans then.  I’m getting behind him but if you told me that we were going to sack Smith and appoint Gerrard a few weeks back I would’ve laughed.  Yes I was a massive fan of Smith and that disappoints me he’s gone but I would’ve said it’s because the owners want more, they are ambitious and will go for the next level manager and that won’t include Gerrard.

People laugh at me because I say we are a midtable team and midtable teams win one, lose one, it’s just the nature of midtable teams.  We’ll beat some big teams and lose to some teams we shouldn’t lose to.  I get laughed at saying that it’s bizarre I accept that reality because it’s unambitious yet the same people accept appointing Gerrard when it would be more ambitious to appoint one of the more higher level managers out there.

I'm with you, Nick.

For some, winning seems to be the be all and end all of supporting a club. For others, it's more than that - there's a sense of culture, community and identity there, which is more important than just being successful. Last season was one of, if not the most enjoyable I've ever had as a Villa fan. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

He wouldn't be coming here if we didn't attend to spend big in January. I'm interested to see who he deems not really good enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 CM's come in, with a LB and possibly a CB as well.

Hopefully he vetoes any planned move for Tuanzebe.

think when you loan a player, you probably give the parent club certain promises around game time. well that was DS' agreement not gerrard's. so that's a good thing

i think money was held back in the summer for this eventuality. i just have the feeling purslow has planned for this. we went big for JWP and ESR then just stopped looking...it's a strange one.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Had initial doubts and acknowledge there's a risk involved but I'm fully on board now and actually quite excited.

Was just about to say about the same. Didn't like the idea at first but it's grown on me. If it goes through then welcome and let's see what you can do.

Not calling him Stevie G though. I have my limits.

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We’re not in a position to attract a top 6 manager. SG isn’t in a position to get a top 6 job. The positions and aspirations are similar for both parties as are the risks. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Quote:

I hate watching footballers and football when there is no physical side and you don’t compete.

"There is a showboating mentality through academies. A lot of kids that play the games think they have to do 10 lollipops or Cruyff turns to look good or stand out. We all love a bit of skill and talent, I love all that, but the other side of the game is huge. It’s massive.”

I'm just pleased to think, he appeciates, this....I am looking forward to how it transcends in to the first team too.

For me, it smacks of redundancy, in the 'well, duh' stakes. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Quote:

i hope so, one of our key weaknesses.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I'm with you, Nick.

For some, winning seems to be the be all and end all of supporting a club. For others, it's more than that - there's a sense of culture, community and identity there, which is more important than just being successful. Last season was one of, if not the most enjoyable I've ever had as a Villa fan. 

You are aware that this post is up there for crazy?? Culture, Community, Identity....But the season nobody could get in the ground, when there was no community or culture was one of your most enjoyable...Crackers you are! 

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

Quote:

Lol - says the man who perfected the utterly useless 'Hollywood Pass'....