The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I suspect waiting for the fact lady to sing. A couple of weeks ago Emery was joining Toon and before that Favre was joining Palace. There is still time for Purslow to change direction and get R Martinez in

Yes but the criteria for having an open thread isn’t that something is factual only that it is credible and the speculation is from a credible source. It’s a speculation thread and all the boxes are more than ticked. 

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

Excited by this appointment. Great stuff

The name, however, I think we need to address.

Obviously calling him Stevie G is unacceptable and should carry a fine or punishment if uttered by a Villa fan.

However, we do like our pet names on this forum.

We called Dean Smith "Deano", so maybe "Stevo"? or perhaps "Gerry"? "G-man"? "G-Money"?

open to suggestions but I do believe we need to come to a consensus and draw a line under it :)

How about scouse w***er? Seems many have already found the nickname your looking for! 

• Like 1

I'll be honest I couldn't stand Gerrard as a player so to see him become Aston Villa manager (seems very likely at this point) feels very strange. Plus I've never put much faith in a manager doing well in the SPL, it just doesn't compare to the Premier League in my opinion. 

That said, I'll put my faith in the board and appreciate that there aren't a lot of options out there right now. Just hope we don't end up with a bunch of failed Liverpool players. 

Edited by MachoFantastico

30 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Bit of a coincidence that the last 2/3 contracts Gerrard and Klopp have signed have been in alignment of each other.

Crazy! Almost as if managerial contracts are usually 2/3 years. Also Gerrards done well to get 3 contracts when he’s only been managing just over 3 years 

1 minute ago, MachoFantastico said:

I'll be honest I couldn't stand Gerrard as a player so to see him become Aston Villa manager (seems very likely at this point) feels very strange. Plus I've never put much faith in a manager doing well in the SPL, it just doesn't compare to the Premier League in my opinion. 

That said, I'll put my faith in the board. Just hope we don't end up with a bunch of failed Liverpool players. 

Alex Ferguson would tend to shoot that one down.

• Like 2

Just now, villalad21 said:

Won't try to shoehorn Ings and Watkins into the same team.

There will be no favorites. At least not initially.

Really looking forward to it.

I’m concerned about your positivity more than anything else around this appointment.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

”barring a late hitch” - don’t tease me like that Barry.

Hell of a contract, 48 hours just to "finalise" the paperwork, implying that it's mostly already drafted.  Must be some serious finer points there.

He wouldn't be coming here if we didn't attend to spend big in January. I'm interested to see who he deems not really good enough.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 CM's come in, with a LB and possibly a CB as well.

Hopefully he vetoes any planned move for Tuanzebe.