The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Been a fun thread but about to be closed  shortly - announcement in the morning it looks like - ah well least we will continue the fun on the Steven Gerrard thread - 

let’s hope it has many more highs than lows 👍

Credit to you Eastie on the early shout on this. I’m still not sold on the decision - hoping he does really well of course - but you called it before Smith’s body was cold!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Been a fun thread but about to be closed  shortly - announcement in the morning it looks like - ah well least we will continue the fun on the Steven Gerrard thread - 

let’s hope it has many more highs than lows 👍

It's been an absolutely intense ride in here.  Kudos to all that made it happen.

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

He wasn't treated shabbily 

He is one of us, to some he should of been given a never ending contract with a no sacking clause, sadly to many are blinded by the villa fan managing us, his results this last 18 months deserved the sack, any none villa supporting manager would of been hounded out or boo'd (cabbage thrown at) 

Deano gave us great memories but has proven he can't take us any further (especially without grealish) 

Is Gerrard the answer, I don't know but I'm going to give him like every previous manager the chance and support. 

Edited by Joshie2000
  • Like 4

Donald Trump is the most despicable person on the planet.

For me Stevie G is 2nd.

And he's soon to manager of the club I supported pretty much as soon as I knew what football was.

Terrible news if confirmed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

For me Stevie G is 2nd.

And he's soon to manager of the club I supported pretty much as soon as I knew what football was.

😂😂 care to explain why?

19 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The manner of his sacking wasn't great

How could it be better? The club statement and video was excellent and it wasn't the usual mutuel agreement crap

They didn't really replace Terry and ROK with people of similar stature and role.

These people reported into Dean. It is up to him to get the right people in

Didn't spend any money in the summer bar the cash we got for Jack. 

So we spent 100m

Signed 2 right wingers and a second striker, when what we needed was a left winger (to replace Jack), ONE right winger, and a central midfielder

He was the Head Coach, he dictated the positions that needed filling

Remember Smith doesn't sign players Lange and Purslow handle that.

Smith had a veto on players and they worked as a team which Smith was part of. Lange sourced players, Smith also sourced players and Lange did the due diligence. Purslow approved the funds

You’ve no idea about most of this.

The fact we pursued JWP suggests Smith said he needed a ball winner in midfield, but for some reason when we missed out on JWP we didn’t bring in a backup. I’d love to one day find out exactly what happened there. No point in pretending to know, though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Here’s a article about SG’s management, I found it interesting

Just quoted the first bit, but the rest is more interesting 

Well worth the read. Thanks. Gives me some optimism.

I haven't kept up with posts over the past few days, so forgive me if someone else has already said this, but...if it's Gerrard, he's going to be Purslow's hire, and if it doesn't work out, they will both end up going.

• Like 1

Think Dean's time had come  but any new manager apart from the elite few comes with risks, one thing with Gerrard is he will be putting himself under a lot of pressure to be successful, because if he is not he can kiss his Liverpool job goodbye. Still better than having the usual suspects.

I think that this most likely appointment puts one train of thought to bed. That NSWE have got fed up and are looking to sell. No, i think we will see more huge investment now with SG in the hot seat which for us is great.  Maybe just maybe the board didnt want to carry on plowing money in over the summer when their next manager was waiting in the wings. As much as all the pr that was coming out was that we would have a shortlist of 5 or 6 , from day 1 this seemed like it was nailed on to happen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hippo said:

For me Stevie G is 2nd.

jeez mate there's approx 7.8 billion people on the planet....give your head a wobble

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

So Howe to Newcastle, Lampard to Norwich and Gerrard to Villa. How many of these young up and coming English managers will be relegated in about 6 months time. My money is on 2 of them

Not a dig at Gerrard being appointed, slight dig at him getting Rangers though. Howe is one thing but I'm not overly keen on former players jumping straight into big clubs without doing the lower league's first. There's a lot of really promising young managers in the lower league's doing great work who likely won't get a chance at the top level. For example being Ryan Lowe at Argyle could be a really interesting appointment for someone like Norwich to have gone for as I think he has loads of potential. 

6 hours ago, hippo said:

For me Stevie G is 2nd.

Bloody hell would did Gerrard ever do to you? 

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Got us promoted.

He kept us up.

This is like a copy about what people said when Nigel Adkins got sacked.

Don't think any Saints fans regrets the Pochettino appointment though.

That’s it you’ve tipped me over the edge and got a like. Perhaps you’re less emotionally attached to Deano living over the pond but that is exactly the same scenario as we’re seeing unfold at Villa Park now. Dean did wonders for us and his emotional connections rightly or wrongly cloud our vision. I’ve defended Dean as much as the next man, quite often against you, but on this occasion you're right. This calendar year has been very poor, not all Dean’s fault, but we know how these things work and always will work, the manager usually carries the can. 

Only time will tell if the decision on his replacement is right, but SG has got as much chance as anyone we could realistically appoint. The narrative that it was too early is basically people just clinging on emotionally to Dean. For me Sunday almost felt like someone had died but taking away the emotion it was the right decision. To wait a couple of games would mean missing the opportunity of the international break. If the results in those games weren’t positive, which isn’t unlikely, we would be rushing the appointment and throwing him into a very difficult run of games with virtually no time to prepare. 

36 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Wow mate! That’s a bold claim. 

So Gerrard is more despicable than Kim Jong Un? Duterte? The current leader of ISIS? Joseph Fritzel? Etc, etc…

What is ‘Stevie G’s’ human rights violations record like? 

I’d include Robbie Savage in that too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2