The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

I really don't think that's the perception from outside the club.

Purslow I’m sure will see it as a coup to get Gerrard from rangers as probably a lot of football people will too - I don’t see it as small tine at all 

19 hours ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Anyone else feeling slightly excited by the proposition of Stevie G as manager?

• Big name who players both domestic and abroad will want to play for. They'll have grew up watching him.
  • High press football.
  • Statement appointment with global outreach.
  • He won't accept anything below 100% effort.
  • Ryan Kent in January anyone?
  • He shunned Newcastle with all their money. So it must means he believes in the project and the goal of Europe.
  • In his latter years, he played DM. We've finally got a DM!

Just really hope he doesn't caress the 'This Is Anfield' sign.

This was one of his (and Brendan Rodgers) biggest mistakes. He was never a DM - whilst he had all the physicality for it he didn't have the brain. Him being at DM ultimately cost Liverpool the title. There's a good section about this Michael Cox's book The Mixer.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Stevie G isn’t a despicable person by any stretch… he played for Plop and loved his boyhood club. I think that’s his only crime? He’s probably the equivalent of if Jack had stayed with us the whole of his career. 

I have no strong opinion of his character to be honest. He’s always seemed like a consummate professional and was one of the best midfielders of his generation.

ahaa!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

This was one of his (and Brendan Rodgers) biggest mistakes. He was never a DM - whilst he had all the physicality for it he didn't have the brain. Him being at DM ultimately cost Liverpool the title. There's a good section about this Michael Cox's book The Mixer.

Just read gerrards book - what cost them the title was that slip v Chelsea - something he says will live with him till the day he dies - very open and honest account of how he cried his heart out in the car after the game and is still affected by it 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

If it’s true Re Gerrards imminent   appointment ,  I’d love to know what made the board look around at all the current managers available , weigh up their careers , their training methods , what they’ve won  , what they can do for the club and it’s players to improve them  … and come to the conclusion Steven Gerrard is the best candidate … I’m not necessarily saying he isn’t , I’d just be curious to know , as the suspicion is that this was a done deal some time ago and nobody else was even interviewed .

time will tell if they’ve got it right … or wrong … 

I don’t think for a minute the process started on Sunday. As we’re a well run club now I’d imagine the process never really ends and we’ll have people always keeping at least an eye on managers. At some point that intensifies and then becomes an active recruitment process. It’s probably not just about the outgoing manager but also the availability of replacements, particularly where the timing is concerned. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

So what about his intentions around our academy stars…will he just cherry pick the best when he goes?

I was excited about this but think we have made ourselves look small time. Anyway, he will definitely motivated to do a good job. Under intense scrutiny actually.

I think we need to reign in expectations of our academy stars.

If they are good enough they will get a game (regardless of who the manager is)

We shouldn't expect more than 1 or 2 to cut it anyway.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Purslow I’m sure will see it as a coup to get Gerrard from rangers as probably a lot of football people will too - I don’t see it as small tine at all 

Just a little underwhelming for us fans then.  I’m getting behind him but if you told me that we were going to sack Smith and appoint Gerrard a few weeks back I would’ve laughed.  Yes I was a massive fan of Smith and that disappoints me he’s gone but I would’ve said it’s because the owners want more, they are ambitious and will go for the next level manager and that won’t include Gerrard.

People laugh at me because I say we are a midtable team and midtable teams win one, lose one, it’s just the nature of midtable teams.  We’ll beat some big teams and lose to some teams we shouldn’t lose to.  I get laughed at saying that it’s bizarre I accept that reality because it’s unambitious yet the same people accept appointing Gerrard when it would be more ambitious to appoint one of the more higher level managers out there.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Just read gerrards book - what cost them the title was that slip v Chelsea - something he says will live with him till the day he dies - very open and honest account of how he cried his heart out in the car after the game and is still affected by it 

Go on link the clip - one of my favourite moments in football.

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Have a feeling his cars gonna get awfully  wet over the next few months. 

• Haha 1

Excited by this appointment. Great stuff

The name, however, I think we need to address.

Obviously calling him Stevie G is unacceptable and should carry a fine or punishment if uttered by a Villa fan.

However, we do like our pet names on this forum.

We called Dean Smith "Deano", so maybe "Stevo"? or perhaps "Gerry"? "G-man"? "G-Money"?

open to suggestions but I do believe we need to come to a consensus and draw a line under it :)

• Shocked 1

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

Obviously calling him Stevie G is unacceptable and should carry a fine or punishment if uttered by a Villa fan.

We called Dean Smith "Deano", so maybe "Stevo"? or perhaps "Gerry"? "G-man"? "G-Money"?

open to suggestions but I do believe we need to come to a consensus and draw a line under it :)

Slippy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

If we can’t call him Stevie G can I continue to call him as I’ve always done.

it rhymes with punt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Yes that's what I meant. If he had been playing further up the pitch where he was better suited, and an actual DM been where he was it would never have happened.

Edited by El-Reacho

12 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

I'm not happy with the 3 year contract he's been given, imo it should be a 0 year contract. Really gonna struggle to get behind him as our manager...

You're not alone.

I don't think he will ever be totally accepted by the villa fanbase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

We called Dean Smith "Deano", so maybe "Stevo"? or perhaps "Gerry"? "G-man"? "G-Money"

He will be called Scuba Steve when we lose 5 in a row.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Grizzly.