The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I’m beginning to suspect this has plan been bubbling on for some time, with Terry and O’Kelly leaving then the arrival of MacPhee, Danks and most recently the stats guy. By all accounts Gerrard is a manager not a coach, I’m wondering if we’ve seen a restructuring of the hierarchy to allow the club to get the coaches in that they want behind the scenes rather than it being the managers selection and have someone like Gerrard who has the on pitch experience to relate to the players without leading the more technical aspects of the coaching. If none of the new guys leave when Gerrard is appointed then the evidence is stacking up.

If it’s the case, my main concern is not Gerrard but the coaches we’ve kept and anyone new we hire.

Was reports 2 years agi he would replace Smith 

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I know Purslow spoke to them and Guaranteed they would have a manager in place for Monday 15th.

A good thing is, we are on target for getting our first choice manager, which can't be bad, with other teams struggling.

The fact that we haven't appointed an interim manager suggests we will have a new man in before Brighton

23 minutes ago, ada86 said:

Fine you don’t care fair enough . But let’s get one thing straight I don’t want the attention of look a me look at me and I was only saying the unknown player as that’s where I got the info off. And I was also saying when this person makes it I hope we can all discuss him as a vt family and support him that’s all.so let’s get back to gerrard

I hope all of our youngsters make it, sadly they won't but I wish all of them well, and am more than happy to discuss any of them. By the way, assuming you do know someone at the club who has given you information you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT name them, ever. On that we agree.

As for you not wanting attention, you are definitely going the wrong way about that. Call me a hater if you like, but there it is.

As for Gerrard. As others have said, I will support him if and when he becomes manager of Aston Villa (or even head coach). I don't dislike the guy, and from what I understand the Rangers fans really rate him. 

My thoughts on this are that I am disappointed that Smith was not given more time, as I said before, I understand (even if I do not agree with) the reasons for sacking him - but I genuinely think that with the shite hand he was dealt this season he would have turned it around. I was OK (ish) with him going if we were getting a top top manager in to replace him. Replacing him with Gerrard does not seem like a step up to me, Gerrard is not a top manager and it seems like a massive risk for reasons that have been covered in depth over the last 200-odd pages. 

Hopefully I am wrong and it will turn out to be an inspired decision. Hopefully the powers that be at the club have done their due diligence on this and everyone knows what is expected and possible. I still trust the board and the management of our club. I question this decision but ultimately I have to hope that they have got it right. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It can’t ever be “true” because there is no way to verify it.

Fair point!  Theoretically given a full fit squad it is reasonable to see things may have improved though.  If Gerrard gets a fully fit squad early and things improve short term it’s not unreasonable to assume that’s because we have fully fit players coming back as a key difference.  The argument then becomes Smith vs Gerrard influence.  Over medium to long term Gerrard’s influence will grow of course.  We know this short term effect because how much credit Ron Saunders gets for the European Cup win despite not being manager at the time.

22 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

As for Gerrard being in Smith’s “shadow”, that may be how some people on sites like this see it but as long as Gerrard betters Smith’s record of just over 1 point per game in the calendar year. 2021,  he should be coming out into the sunlight.

I think it’s more than just sites like this but in the Villa community. I understand your point on 1 point per game but I'm not sure I agree with it.  Anyway we’ll see, it will all depend on what happens on the pitch, if it’s quality Smith will be in the rear view mirror, if it’s mediocre or poor then the comparisons and questions will be asked.

Maybe Gerrard can do something with Luiz too. Like make him a bit more consistent an tougher.

Getting the inconsistencies out the team which I believe was a trait of Smith's management will be a great start.

Although I still have etched in my mind from a Smith supporter "we are a midtabled team, we win some we lose some that's how it is".😂

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

But haven't we had 3 years of Deano conditioning the team to high press 😀

But yes, I do agree, it will take some time

Not sure Dean ever pretended to be a high pressing side. I honestly don't think we have the players to even try that tactic. The only midfielders who could high press right now are probably Ramsey and Nakamba. That's it.

I really wish if this was always their guy to replace Dean they just did it over the summer. Doing this mid-season just a couple points above the relegation line is very worrying. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

We played lovely football last season, particularly in November/December. I remember playing Burnley off the park (they still somehow won), some of the best football I've seen from Villa.

Perhaps it was reverting in backs against wall manner... 

There was a lot of great stuff pre covid last season too... 

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair point!  Theoretically given a full fit squad it is reasonable to see things may have improved though.  If Gerrard gets a fully fit squad early and things improve short term it’s not unreasonable to assume that’s because we have fully fit players coming back as a key difference.  The argument then becomes Smith vs Gerrard influence.  Over medium to long term Gerrard’s influence will grow of course.  We know this short term effect because how much credit Ron Saunders gets for the European Cup win despite not being manager at the time.

I think it’s more than just sites like this but in the Villa community. I understand your point on 1 point per game but I'm not sure I agree with it.  Anyway we’ll see, it will all depend on what happens on the pitch, if it’s quality Smith will be in the rear view mirror, if it’s mediocre or poor then the comparisons and questions will be asked.

We will know very quickly if it is Gerrard or the players. We can all read a game and we can see if the formation, tactics and subs are working.,

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard (& his coaching team), are known at Rangers for high intensity, pressing, attacking almost tika taka type football at Rangers, whether this will translate to the PL who knows, or whether they will change to a different style of play?

Some vids showing Rangers under Gerrard:

I would love to see a Villa team moving the ball about like that. 

But I have to say the defending in those clips was comically bad. There will be nothing like that amount of time, space and defenders not knowing what the ball looks like in the premier league. Lets hope we can get some way towards that type of movement. 

Richard Dunne on Sky Sports just said Gerard is a manager players will be attracted to play for. 

I've always thought it a bit of nonsense but maybe it does help to attract players if you have a name like that. 

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Although I still have etched in my mind from a Smith supporter "we are a midtabled team, we win some we lose some that's how it is".😂

You think that will change? That’s what we are whether Smith or Gerrard is in charge.

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We will know very quickly if it is Gerrard or the players. We can all read a game and we can see if the formation, tactics and subs are working.,

It could be similar to the Lampard/Tuchel argument. ( OBS I'm not comparing Gerrard to Tuchel ). Just the scenario.

Where's some think Frank could/would have done the same job as Tuchel once all the players were up to speed.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I hope all of our youngsters make it, sadly they won't but I wish all of them well, and am more than happy to discuss any of them. By the way, assuming you do know someone at the club who has given you information you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT name them, ever. On that we agree.

As for you not wanting attention, you are definitely going the wrong way about that. Call me a hater if you like, but there it is.

As for Gerrard. As others have said, I will support him if and when he becomes manager of Aston Villa (or even head coach). I don't dislike the guy, and from what I understand the Rangers fans really rate him. 

My thoughts on this are that I am disappointed that Smith was not given more time, as I said before, I understand (even if I do not agree with) the reasons for sacking him - but I genuinely think that with the shite hand he was dealt this season he would have turned it around. I was OK (ish) with him going if we were getting a top top manager in to replace him. Replacing him with Gerrard does not seem like a step up to me, Gerrard is not a top manager and it seems like a massive risk for reasons that have been covered in depth over the last 200-odd pages. 

Hopefully I am wrong and it will turn out to be an inspired decision. Hopefully the powers that be at the club have done their due diligence on this and everyone knows what is expected and possible. I still trust the board and the management of our club. I question this decision but ultimately I have to hope that they have got it right. 

I agree I wanted someone that can take us to the next level I agree with the likes of favre or ten hag or the manager from nice .We all will obviously support gerrard but he wasn’t my first choice and I  think it’s a big gamble that purslow has chosen .

• Like 1