The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Donald Trump is the most despicable person on the planet.

For me Stevie G is 2nd.

And he's soon to manager of the club I supported pretty much as soon as I knew what football was.

Terrible news if confirmed.

Some of the absolute nonsense that has been written about Gerrard on this thread these last few days is beyond unbelievable.

Maybe the same few folk would be better off supporting the Sty, as you're all showing the same level of class as a knuckle dragger.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Come ON misery arses he is one of the most respected players in world football. He almost singly handledly restored one the the (few) clubs actually bigger than us to champions league success. Then he went to Rangers a club on its knees also one of the biggest clubs in the world  big club back to glory. Oh and apparently worked under an identical structure to us with a DOF AND has worked with our CEO whose greatest crime is he may have pulled the trigger a game, or two, too early. 

Get excited. If the Rangers things bothers you get over it, we are Aston Villa we have had wonderful players  and managers associated with both Celtic and Rangers, they are both friends here.

And yes he will go to Liverpool one day. That's fine we will live,. We may want it. That's how football goes or maybe Purslow will fire him before the end of the season because thats also how football goes.

Imagine how those players must feel being managed by Gerrard! They have all mentioned John Terry, it can only be a good thing.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stevie G isn’t a despicable person by any stretch… he played for Plop and loved his boyhood club. I think that’s his only crime? He’s probably the equivalent of if Jack had stayed with us the whole of his career. 

I have no strong opinion of his character to be honest. He’s always seemed like a consummate professional and was one of the best midfielders of his generation.

41 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think that this most likely appointment puts one train of thought to bed. That NSWE have got fed up and are looking to sell. No, i think we will see more huge investment now with SG in the hot seat which for us is great.  Maybe just maybe the board didnt want to carry on plowing money in over the summer when their next manager was waiting in the wings. As much as all the pr that was coming out was that we would have a shortlist of 5 or 6 , from day 1 this seemed like it was nailed on to happen. 

I don’t think NSWE are looking to sell at all.  I’m starting/trying to think positively about this appointment.

That being said re your comment I would suggest this is more likely to indicate they are selling than before.  They haven’t brought in a top notch manager but a huge risk in Gerrard, it doesn’t show we are going for it as much as appointing some other candidates.  Bringing in Gerrard while not top notch is commercially a lot more attractive than Dean in charge and this will appeal to potential club buyers.

So not a high level appointment but a commercially attractive appointment points more to sale than before.

Again I don’t think they are interested in selling but just replying to your comment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Stevie G isn’t a despicable person by any stretch… he played for Plop and loved his boyhood club. I think that’s his only crime? He’s probably the equivalent of if Jack had stayed with us the whole of his career. 

I have no strong opinion of his character to be honest. He’s always seemed like a consummate professional and was one of the best midfielders of his generation.

Was he as much of a lad as Jack was?  Love partying, wearing ’interesting’ clothes etc.  He always came across as boring and sensible to me. Apart from that one incident which we’ve discussed to death. 

56 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Wow mate! That’s a bold claim. 

So Gerrard is more despicable than Kim Jong Un? Duterte? The current leader of ISIS? Joseph Fritzel? Etc, etc…

What is ‘Stevie G’s’ human rights violations record like? 

He did manage Rangers thats worse than ISIS 😛

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think that this most likely appointment puts one train of thought to bed. That NSWE have got fed up and are looking to sell. No, i think we will see more huge investment now with SG in the hot seat which for us is great.  Maybe just maybe the board didnt want to carry on plowing money in over the summer when their next manager was waiting in the wings. As much as all the pr that was coming out was that we would have a shortlist of 5 or 6 , from day 1 this seemed like it was nailed on to happen. 

Its funny how two people can see it so differently. If we appoint SG then to me we are doing so because of his name and the boost in media profile it will give us, thus hopefully being able to cash in on that with sponsorship etc. It is further proof that we are looking to be self sustaining. This no bad thing and I don't think NSWE have lost interest but I would be surprised if we see the financial backing that they put in to get us into the PL again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Got us promoted.

He kept us up.

This is like a copy about what people said when Nigel Adkins got sacked.

Don't think any Saints fans regrets the Pochettino appointment though.

Gerrard is Poch level? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was he as much of a lad as Jack was?  Love partying, wearing ’interesting’ clothes etc.  He always came across as boring and sensible to me. Apart from that one incident which we’ve discussed to death. 

I don’t really know tbh, I don’t remember him being in the papers for being a party animal or anything when he was young

4 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I don’t really know tbh, I don’t remember him being in the papers for being a party animal or anything when he was young

Nobody cool has a haircut like that. I think he was just the nerdy kid that loved football and nothing else.