Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Christ alive. I certainly wish now I had never said anything. For the last time I just said I assume he’ll be our goalkeeper for years unless a huge club signs him. I’m sorry to have expressed this opinion that has upset everyone. I assure those worried that I am not ‘stressed’, ‘upset’ or ‘subconsciously defeatist’… I just said our goalkeeper is brilliant and might be a target for the biggest clubs in the world if he keeps that level up for a couple more years. I won’t comment on it again.

I think it's interesting. For years we've been a club that has to offload (mostly) shite. We haven't had players until recently that anyone would really want. That's all changing now. Jack is a pretty unique situation being a fan and growing up in the club, but others don't have that connection. 

It feels like Martinez has some loyalty because of the chance he's been given to properly start his career but if the opportunity came for a big move, I'm sure he would go. Same for McGinn, Watkins, Konsa etc. Pretty much every club is a selling club when the price is right and we will have players who are desired, finally, so inevitably some move on. Hopefully we have plans in place for when it happens, like Leicester. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Christ alive. I certainly wish now I had never said anything. For the last time I just said I assume he’ll be our goalkeeper for years unless a huge club signs him. I’m sorry to have expressed this opinion that has upset everyone. I assure those worried that I am not ‘stressed’, ‘upset’ or ‘subconsciously defeatist’… I just said our goalkeeper is brilliant and might be a target for the biggest clubs in the world if he keeps that level up for a couple more years. I won’t comment on it again.

Look it’s ok, you are in a safe environment here.  Just stay where you are and some nice men will come and pick you up shortly and transfer you to a lovely new accommodation with some lovely padded walls.

😉👊🏻

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I think it's interesting. For years we've been a club that has to offload (mostly) shite. We haven't had players until recently that anyone would really want. That's all changing now. Jack is a pretty unique situation being a fan and growing up in the club, but others don't have that connection. 

It feels like Martinez has some loyalty because of the chance he's been given to properly start his career but if the opportunity came for a big move, I'm sure he would go. Same for McGinn, Watkins, Konsa etc. Pretty much every club is a selling club when the price is right and we will have players who are desired, finally, so inevitably some move on. Hopefully we have plans in place for when it happens, like Leicester. 

I think we may be stronger than Leicester in need to sell.  It will be interesting to see what happens with these owners when eventually a big bid for any player comes in.  Obviously we will have other circumstances like who else is in that position to cover, ideas of we would like to buy to replace that player etc etc but we know the ambition of these owners but that would give us even more insight.  If somebody bid 80m for Konsa, or the same amount for Ollie...what would they do.  I think at the moment they are building to compete and when they are doing that and the seriousness they are doing that with a young, talented, long term contract for players you'd think they would be refusing almost all money because they are implementing a plan.  It's all very interesting and it's exciting for us Villa fans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 7392craig said:

The Lerner years are still lingering in the background for a lot of our fans, I imagine. We’ve been through a bit of a rollercoaster.

And the regimes either side of Lerner. Which were mostly even worse! 

• Like 2

are there no legitimate rumours out there over who might be next on our shopping list?

Will be interesting to see what our next moves are after the A++ move for Buendia!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

It’s no surprise we’re a pessimistic bunch.

I know I am, I’m so bad I don’t think we’ll sign Haaland this summer, I think we’ll have to wait until next summer...😉

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

And the regimes either side of Lerner. Which were mostly even worse! 

I think that’s a little unfair on Doug Ellis. Say what you will about Doug but he had Villa running through his veins, tried his best with Villa whilst never risking the club financially. He also recognised when he wouldn’t be able to keep the club competing and sold up to Lerner, who, let’s not forget, started very well at Villa. Had it not been for Abu Dhabi buying Man City at that time, things might well have turned out very differently for Villa under Lerner. But that will never excuse how Lerner then simply lost interest in Villa to the point he ran the club into the ground before relegating us. If that wasn’t bad enough, Lerner then sold up to Xia who very nearly made us extinct within a couple of years. 

Doug Ellis may well have had flaws, but he certainly never willingly risked the clubs existence. The two owners after him were reckless with the club in different ways.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know I am, I’m so bad I don’t think we’ll sign Haaland this summer, I think we’ll have to wait until next summer...😉

He’ll be a bench filler by then. He needs to take his chance now while he can. 🙃

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think that’s a little unfair on Doug Ellis. Say what you will about Doug but he had Villa running through his veins, tried his best with Villa whilst never risking the club financially. He also recognised when he wouldn’t be able to keep the club competing and sold up to Lerner, who, let’s not forget, started very well at Villa. Had it not been for Abu Dhabi buying Man City at that time, things might well have turned out very differently for Villa under Lerner. But that will never excuse how Lerner then simply lost interest in Villa to the point he ran the club into the ground before relegating us. If that wasn’t bad enough, Lerner then sold up to Xia who very nearly made us extinct within a couple of years. 

Doug Ellis may well have had flaws, but he certainly never willingly risked the clubs existence. The two owners after him were reckless with the club in different ways.

It was probably a bit harsh on Doug. Certainly in comparison to Xia, don’t get me started on him! 

For me Doug’s biggest crime was to try to erase 1981 and 82 from the club’s history. 

Lerner just didn’t bother running the club and didn’t appoint the necessary people to do it for him. Man City’s super rich takeover just finished him off. 

We seem to have finally fell on our feet and can dream with more confidence than we have for most, if not all, of our lifetimes. 

Anybody else keep fooling themselves with the " We are delighted to announce the signing of " notification from the Villa app?

Mine won't  go away, so 3 times now over the past couple of days, I've  swiped down, gotten excited then realised its about the Emi Buendia signing 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

I think it would have to be exceptonal....He has already been at a big club, one of the sneaky 6 and got his fingers burn't.

Aston Villa would have to go back to its bad old days and the owners to leave, in order for him to go, Imo.

Right now, there are not many clubs with brighter ambition and with improvements being sought all the time, I think it would take an extraordinary deal to lure him away.I think he has a very Loyal persona about him too, he is more likely to help us attract players than leave himself.

I must say, many of us still have that nervous twitch about players leaving us.....We are no longer a selling club, in the sense of the word, in as much we don't have to sell to survive, we only need to sell to balance books and address housekeeping.

Watching him again it's a reminder that I'd like to have a look at denayer from Belgium / Lyon, really impressed with him vs England last year 

I don't think we need a top CB straight in the 1st team but if we did I think he's one that wouldn't be silly money 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

When will this myth ever die? 

I agree. Didn't give a shit about the Villa when he broke up the greatest team in the clubs history. The only credit I'll give him is keeping the club financially stable. Other than that his ego was more important than to him than Villa. Even naming the Witton Rd stand after himself was a joke tbh. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I agree. Didn't give a shit about the Villa when he broke up the greatest team in the clubs history. The only credit I'll give him is keeping the club financially stable. Other than that his ego was more important than to him than Villa. Even naming the Witton Rd stand after himself was a joke tbh. 

Nothing against Doug. - a guy who meant well as football passed him by, but I've only ever referred to it as Witton Lane.