Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I think Man bun Phillips was constantly giving fouls away with clumsy mistimed tackles to be honest. His through ball was good, otherwise I don't see the big deal with how he played. If we're going to play a box to box midfielder then it should Rice or Phillips plus a more natural number 8.

Just my humble opinion.

But someone has to do the ugly stuff.....its non negotiable......someone has to do it.....and when they do, they have to be appreciated, for doing it.

its a wise team, that respects the opposition.

if a team doesn't have that someone, they are likely to concede goals.

just my humble opinion, too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Then you have named 2 out of 4 players to sign that have never kicked a ball at a level anywhere near Premier league level, one player who is past his best, lost his best asset (pace), and who Southampton deemed not good enough for a contract renewal.

Don't know anything about Kostic, but I know Zaha would need 200k and a promise of champions league football to leave Palace.

Turnbull is a good technical player but he lacks any kind of physicality, he is weak and slow! He would get bullied in the Premier league when on the ball, and be past by when we are out of possession.

So I guess you wouldn't have signed Cash, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn or Watkins? Who all haven't played anywhere near Prem level either.

Zaha has recently nearly moved to Arsenal and Everton I don't think he's out of our reach, who would you suggest to compete with the attacking players? Or would you play 3 defensive midfielders if you don't want Buendia or Grealish in the middle?

58 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

That's clearly before further signings. 

It's pretty obvious LW is the main position of need aside from CDM/McGinn replacement.

For LW I would throw out Marcus thuram (spurs are rumoured with him would be great to steal him from them) . He's an excellent goalscorer and can create for others but he is a monster physically and has played upfront a lot in the bundesliga. I think he'd be a great signing to start down the left and provide physicality and upfront when Ollie is off the pitch for whatever reason. That gives us 5 players for the 3 positions behind Ollie. Which is probably enough as we can always drop into a 3 man midfield or play Sanson as a 10. Other options for LW I might consider are Leon Bailey (although he be **** expensive) same with Oyarzabal who I'd just love to sign, I'd also take a risk on Pedro Neto or Hudson-Odoi. 

For CDM I'd go Zakaria.

So a double swoop for the Borussia Monchengladbach duo. They missed out on Europe this year so they should be available. And they have all the necessary tools to thrive in the prem. I especially like Zakaria as he can also provide cover for CB. Other options for CDM I would consider are Ward Prowse and Sarr. 

Some excellent options in there, I think Oyarzabal would suit our team really well and I'd love us to get Neto but I don't know if we could get him from Wolves. Thank you for noticing it was a line up based on current squad

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

But someone has to do the ugly stuff.....its non negotiable......someone has to do it.....and when they do, they have to be appreciated, for doing it.

I'm not arguing that somebody needs to do it, or get props for it. I'm saying Phillips' performance in that regard was overrated.

• Like 1

Now I know it's the mirror reporting it and most likely means nothing, but they say we're putting together a 30 mill bid for Tammy.

14 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Zaha has recently nearly moved to Arsenal and Everton I don't think he's out of our reach, who would you suggest to compete with the attacking players? Or would you play 3 defensive midfielders if you don't want Buendia or Grealish in the middle?

Zaha will cost 50million + and at his age will have limited resale value. 

As we are behind commercially, thats not sustainable. 

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

I just hope our midfield are different and I don't mean different as in changing the players but behave different on the pitch and not play the same in ways. The problem is our midfield just try things the samez go to do the same work on field and they don't look to every change it up through a game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I'm not arguing that somebody needs to do it, or get props for it. I'm saying Phillips' performance in that regard was overrated.

But it depends how you value defensive work v offensive work.

He was our best player, in a general consensus.

teams all want to do to us, what we do to them.....its good to have players who can stop them, not just hurt them.

Both types are as crucial as the other, to a top team.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

teams all want to do to us, what we do to them.....its good to have players who can stop them, not just hurt them.

Phillips was being extremely aggressive and it didn't look like Croatia enjoyed playing against him. At all. 

We need  more of that at Villa. I am hoping Buendia will bring some of that nastiness. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Again, you're missing my point. I know, and appreciate what a defensive midfielder does. I'm saying Phillips, although tenacious and busy, was not particularly effective in that role. His tackling was clumsy and he often gave free kicks away. Luckily, and strangely, he was up the pitch when he did it. His assist was class though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Phillips was being extremely aggressive and it didn't look like Croatia enjoyed playing against him. At all. 

We need  more of that at Villa. I am hoping Buendia will bring some of that nastiness. 

Its not nastiness, its controlled aggression......its being competitive.

The top teams, have it.

39 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We've just signed a direct, hard working winger. We'd be mad to want an upgrade on Traore who is willing to work harder defensively than Traore...then actually sign that player, only to play him in the centre and lose the benefit of that very attribute.

Wouldn't have to replace Traore and sell him. We have not got Trezegeut but I would seriously look for an upgrade on Trez, Ghazi and Traore and if can find a wicked deal I would bring someone in.

It does us no harm and yes Traore may fall down the pecking order abit but still that's the whole idea of upgrade, upgrade on what you have and make those existing players fight the new better talented arrivals for there place. If anything you want competition in your frontline a to be fearce, you want and need them at there best all there time. I'm not saying it's easier for defenders and keepers but there job is behind the midfield and winger and strikers, it's the middle of the park and frontline that has to keep the ball away from the back as best as possible. I just think you don't have to be fearce with adding competition to the backline and keeper department as you do the midfield, Wingers and strikers. So yeah I'd certainly bring better in like we have Buendia and if he's going center, with how much Samson struggled and he admitted it, I'm not sure how he's going to break through, I just hope he's got it in him to do it, I have hope.

Let's face it we need another striker anyway, I would still go ahead and buy Tammy. While Tammy is fit play Ollie on the right wing, if Tammy gets injured Ollie just reverts back to his normal lone striker position for us and Traore comes into the right wing position he's been playing all along. So in reality were not buying a right winger because we already had one anyway as Ollie fits anywhere on the frontline. All it is, it's just were moving pieces around to fit the cogs better now to make a better team, but we do need a striker and one who can keep Ollie on his toes and Tammy could do that. I know some won't agree with that and that finez it's just I see an opportunity to have another striker at the club who is capable and who will go to another club and smash some goals in and Tammy will do that, he's young and very capable. I think we'd be mad not to have Ollie as our right Winger and Tammy as our loner striker, providing the price is decent for Tammy and no one knows what he will go for but we should test the waters like we did with Martinez and Buendia.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, skarroki said:

So I guess you wouldn't have signed Cash, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn or Watkins? Who all haven't played anywhere near Prem level either.

Wouldn't even have Zaha here, not because of the price but because of how much of a moaner he has become. I feel the bloke has lost himself a fair bit and he's not the same player he were.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Wouldn't even have Zaha here, not because of the price but because of how much of a moaner he has become. I feel the bloke has lost himself a fair bit and he's not the same player he were.

I hate his permanently outraged face. He can get ****. And he's a busted flush now too. Can't stand the clearing in the woods 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Anderson I know nothing about. Turnbull would get eaten alive in the Premier league, as I explained. 

We were a championship club when we signed McGinn, and Watkins and Konsa were well know to Smith. Luiz cam with Pep's endorsement. Cash is the only one that came a bit out of nowhere. I'm not against championship or players from foreign leagues. But I has to be done with extreme care. 

Zaha is unrealistic on several levels. Cost and age the main ones. I don’t believe we can sign a player and pay him more than Jack. Age 29, low resale value.

Bertrand just isn't good enough. 

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Now I know it's the mirror reporting it and most likely means nothing, but they say we're putting together a 30 mill bid for Tammy.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion but I think anybody who pays £30m for Tammy will end up disappointed. I really don’t think he is that good. It’s a bit unfair to label him as a Darren Bent type striker but he really doesn’t have that much more to his game. He also misses a lot of chances. His game does not suit the way we want to play either so I would be very surprised if villa retained any interest whatsoever.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

While Tammy is fit play Ollie on the right wing

Nope. Ollie is not a right winger, he is a forward. He is worse on the right wing than all of Traore, Trez, El Ghazi and Beundia. Playing him out of position diminishes both his confidence and worth.

By all means hope we sign another striker but accept that we either play two up front or one of Ollie or, in this case, Tammy is on the bench

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Bertrand as a squad filler is surely good enough? 

Waste of a squad number these fillers competition for places we need, if Bertrand spends the entire season on the bench because Target plays every minute again we might as well keep Taylor, I’d rather direct competition or a young understudy 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1