Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

45 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Headline - Mills tips Winks joining Aston Villa or Wolves after spotting him ‘house hunting’

Actual Quotes - 

Completely beggars belief. I feel like Danny Mills knows they'll print any old shit so decided to come out with some nonsense to try and wind Villa fans up.

Or he could just have been having a round of golf on a very good golf course.....:rolleyes:

• Like 3

This is how I see our current line up and I've then put in a back up I'm happy to be 2nd fiddle next season. Although obviously it's all opinion so happy to debate this. I do think we are still light as a squad in a few positions. 

I want to see Grealish through the middle and think Buendia is strongest off the right, which means the LW spot is available and currently El Ghazi is our best option there imo. So I'd say a LW player should be a priority in this window to complete those places in the team.

I think Engels will be off so it would be good to get in a decent back up option to Konsa for right-sided CB as I don't really know much about our academy options coming through in that position to be confident enough to say we should promote them. Same goes for LB.

I'd currently be leaning towards signing Bertrand at LB if he's happy to compete with Targett, hopefully they got on when competing at Southampton and would be happy as our 2 options in that position again. Obviously Bertrand has already been here so hopefully he was suitably impressed with the training facilities etc.

Other CB option, Andersen at Barnsley got into TOTS and by all accounts is a great bloke off the field, only 23 and we seem to have a good relationship with the Barnsley board after our transfers of Bree and Hourihane. Could even do a swap for Hourihane if he wanted to return to that club.

Backup CAM, I would go for Turnbull at Celtic as he looks like he could make the step into English football and he wouldn't need to be playing every game with the talent we have now, he could be bedded in slowly.

I have no idea who to suggest for LW in all honesty. Takuma Asano is available on a free, he seems to have had a great season in a poor league. If we're looking for better quality though I'd say my prem option would be Zaha, my dream option would be Kostic from E. Frankfurt but they're in Europe and don't need to sell so I doubt it would ever happen.

TL:DR, I think we should sign the below 5 to have a strong squad with cover in all positions:

Bertrand - free

Andersen - Barnsley

Turnbull - Celtic

Zaha - Palace or Kostic - Frankfurt

lineup.png

56 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Headline - Mills tips Winks joining Aston Villa or Wolves after spotting him ‘house hunting’

Actual Quotes - 

Completely beggars belief. I feel like Danny Mills knows they'll print any old shit so decided to come out with some nonsense to try and wind Villa fans up.

Incredible stuff. It’s why 99% of football transfer rumours are BS. Laughable stuff. 

7 minutes ago, skarroki said:

This is how I see our current line up and I've then put in a back up I'm happy to be 2nd fiddle next season. Although obviously it's all opinion so happy to debate this. I do think we are still light as a squad in a few positions. 

I want to see Grealish through the middle and think Buendia is strongest off the right, which means the LW spot is available and currently El Ghazi is our best option there imo. So I'd say a LW player should be a priority in this window to complete those places in the team.

I think Engels will be off so it would be good to get in a decent back up option to Konsa for right-sided CB as I don't really know much about our academy options coming through in that position to be confident enough to say we should promote them. Same goes for LB.

I'd currently be leaning towards signing Bertrand at LB if he's happy to compete with Targett, hopefully they got on when competing at Southampton and would be happy as our 2 options in that position again. Obviously Bertrand has already been here so hopefully he was suitably impressed with the training facilities etc.

Other CB option, Andersen at Barnsley got into TOTS and by all accounts is a great bloke off the field, only 23 and we seem to have a good relationship with the Barnsley board after our transfers of Bree and Hourihane. Could even do a swap for Hourihane if he wanted to return to that club.

Backup CAM, I would go for Turnbull at Celtic as he looks like he could make the step into English football and he wouldn't need to be playing every game with the talent we have now, he could be bedded in slowly.

I have no idea who to suggest for LW in all honesty. Takuma Asano is available on a free, he seems to have had a great season in a poor league. If we're looking for better quality though I'd say my prem option would be Zaha, my dream option would be Kostic from E. Frankfurt but they're in Europe and don't need to sell so I doubt it would ever happen.

TL:DR, I think we should sign the below 5 to have a strong squad with cover in all positions:

Bertrand - free

Andersen - Barnsley

Turnbull - Celtic

lineup.png

I don’t think we should be signing any cover unless they are young prospects,  players to really push for the first team we need, that gives us  real competition so we can rotate or when we are forced to so someone equally as good comes in

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Incredible stuff. It’s why 99% of football transfer rumours are BS. Laughable stuff. 

I was quite impressed someone gave a quote directly rather than them taking 5 words out of context given to another organisation and running with it.

Tbh I'm as much to blame for this stuff as anyone as I still stupidly click on it knowing it will be rubbish.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Bertrand - free

Andersen - Barnsley

Turnbull - Celtic

lineup.png

Suspect you might be right, as AEG seems to do better on the left, but I think Grealish wide left, Buendia centre and Traore right is arguably just as attractive option. Though ideally we'd play that and replace Traore with a better, more direct, hard working winger whom actually can go outside.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

I think Man bun Phillips was constantly giving fouls away with clumsy mistimed tackles to be honest. His through ball was good, otherwise I don't see the big deal with how he played. If we're going to play a box to box midfielder then it should Rice or Phillips plus a more natural number 8.

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Suspect you might be right, as AEG seems to do better on the left, but I think Grealish wide left, Buendia centre and Traore right is arguably just as attractive option. Though ideally we'd play that and replace Traore with a better, more direct, hard working winger whom actually can go outside.

I agree with you on Grealish, Buendia and Traore, but I feel like the more direct, hard working winger we need would be best signed for the left side of the pitch to allow Grealish a free role and Buendia right. 

I'm a little confused by all the links to a CM I think we'll end up stacked in that position. My only thought is maybe Smith has decided he wants one of Sanson, McGinn or Luis to move into an attacking midfield role

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Bertrand - free

Andersen - Barnsley

Turnbull - Celtic

lineup.png

This is another midtable season. Thank god you're not the manager.

Jack and Buendia like to drift in field from wide positions. If one of them already in the centre you're restricting the movement of the other as there will already be a playmaker in the middle. The only way this works is if Buendia is in the middle as an 8 / 10 Cross, and Jack is played high up almost alongside Watkins on the left. However you then restrict Watkins movement.

I'm certain the only time Jack or Buendia play in the middle is when one of them is injured. Otherwise if both play one will go left and the other right. It's simply the best way to get the best out of them if they are both in the same line up. As they both like to drift inside they will certainly link up, but in a natural way, without obstructing or Competing for the ball.

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Bertrand - free

Andersen - Barnsley

Turnbull - Celtic

lineup.png

Then you have named 2 out of 4 players to sign that have never kicked a ball at a level anywhere near Premier league level, one player who is past his best, lost his best asset (pace), and who Southampton deemed not good enough for a contract renewal.

Don't know anything about Kostic, but I know Zaha would need 200k and a promise of champions league football to leave Palace.

Turnbull is a good technical player but he lacks any kind of physicality, he is weak and slow! He would get bullied in the Premier league when on the ball, and be past by when we are out of possession.

Edited by Philosopher

46 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

The irony is he didn't play the 6 role on Sunday, he played in front of Rice as more of an 8, an area where we are flooded with options.

Well if it was me I'd have played Mount there how Phillips was used and put Jack in the no 10 role. But I'm attack minded!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think Kalvin Phillips displayed the kind of performance on Sunday, we are looking for from our No6.

Thats the level for me.....to be fair to Dean, he tried to sign him and it was close, bar for Kalvins Grannie.

We need to get in that kind of player.

I was ruefully watching him play yesterday. Would have been a fantastic signing. 

• Like 1

We need that ball winner in midfield and a back up left back. Then we're good to go for next season. We might need another Striker if Wesley doesn't show enough in August. Leave the decision late on that front and Loans until late August

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

Bertrand - free

Andersen - Barnsley

Turnbull - Celtic

lineup.png

El Ghazi in the first 11?

I want what ur smoking!! xxx

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

El Ghazi in the first 11?

I want what ur smoking!! xxx

That's clearly before further signings. 

It's pretty obvious LW is the main position of need aside from CDM/McGinn replacement.

For LW I would throw out Marcus thuram (spurs are rumoured with him would be great to steal him from them) . He's an excellent goalscorer and can create for others but he is a monster physically and has played upfront a lot in the bundesliga. I think he'd be a great signing to start down the left and provide physicality and upfront when Ollie is off the pitch for whatever reason. That gives us 5 players for the 3 positions behind Ollie. Which is probably enough as we can always drop into a 3 man midfield or play Sanson as a 10. Other options for LW I might consider are Leon Bailey (although he be **** expensive) same with Oyarzabal who I'd just love to sign, I'd also take a risk on Pedro Neto or Hudson-Odoi. 

For CDM I'd go Zakaria.

So a double swoop for the Borussia Monchengladbach duo. They missed out on Europe this year so they should be available. And they have all the necessary tools to thrive in the prem. I especially like Zakaria as he can also provide cover for CB. Other options for CDM I would consider are Ward Prowse and Sarr. 

Edited by MotoMkali

28 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

That's clearly before further signings. 

It's pretty obvious LW is the main position of need aside from CDM/McGinn replacement.

For LW I would throw out Marcus thuram (spurs are rumoured with him would be great to steal him from them) . He's an excellent goalscorer and can create for others but he is a monster physically and has played upfront a lot in the bundesliga. I think he'd be a great signing to start down the left and provide physicality and upfront when Ollie is off the pitch for whatever reason. That gives us 5 players for the 3 positions behind Ollie. Which is probably enough as we can always drop into a 3 man midfield or play Sanson as a 10. Other options for LW I might consider are Leon Bailey (although he be **** expensive) same with Oyarzabal who I'd just love to sign, I'd also take a risk on Pedro Neto or Hudson-Odoi. 

For CDM I'd go Zakaria.

So a double swoop for the Borussia Monchengladbach duo. They missed out on Europe this year so they should be available. And they have all the necessary tools to thrive in the prem. I especially like Zakaria as he can also provide cover for CB. Other options for CDM I would consider are Ward Prowse and Sarr. 

with our "current" squad, i still wouldnt have Ghazi in the first 11, for me it would be Grealish - Buendia - Traore.

But i agree, we do need another winger if possible, or a no.10.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We've just signed a direct, hard working winger. We'd be mad to want an upgrade on Traore who is willing to work harder defensively than Traore...then actually sign that player, only to play him in the centre and lose the benefit of that very attribute.