Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Well Real have Courtois who's the same age as Martinez. PSG are signing Donnarumma, Barca are broke and City & Liverpool have Ederson & Allison who are both younger than Martinez so they looks sorted. Bayern have already signed their replacement for Neuer in Nubel.

So that leaves Chelsea, Manure who both seem doubtful and possibly Atletico Madrid if they sell Oblak to one of the previous clubs. Juve are broke as well so don't see them pony up the fee he would cost.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Do you know I thought to myself today: if Martinez has another stellar season, and is Argentina’s goalkeeper at the World Cup, someone like Real Madrid might throw a fortune at him. I have been thinking “here’s our goalkeeper for 7-8 years” but that’s not how it works - need to make sure we have a talent pathway and backup plans in place for all our stars even while trying to keep them.

Every one of the top clubs have their goalkeepers set. Barca Ter Stegen, RM Courtois, City ederson, Liverpool Alison, United Henderson, Chelsea mendy, PSG donnaruma and navas, bayern Neuer (and probably some other German bloke who is the next Neuer).

I agree other than United, Henderson by no means has that locked in. There shouldn't be much worry that an elite club comes in for Emi despite his great form.

Barca, Madrid, PSG, City, Liverpool, Bayern, Atletico and Chelsea are certainly all set for keepers. 

AC Milan should be set too with Maignan. Juve (no cash) and United (2 strong choices already) are the ones to watch if their current keepers have a bad season.

If any of those in the first list decide they want to upgrade on their already great options, they're going after Oblak first. Then we can worry. But I don't see Emi leaving, it's not even a remote concern of mine.

Edited by HalfTimePost

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I agree other than United, Henderson by no means has that locked in. There shouldn't be much worry that an elite club comes in for Emi despite his great form.

Barca, Madrid, PSG, City, Liverpool, Bayern, Atletico and Chelsea are certainly all set for keepers. 

AC Milan should be set too with Maignan. Juve (no cash) and United (2 strong choices already) are the ones to watch if their current keepers have a bad season.

If any of those in the first list decide they want to upgrade on their already great options, they're going after Oblak first. Then we can worry. But I don't see Emi leaving, it's not even a remote concern of mine.

I feel like united will give Henderson at least one season at that point emi will be 30 and there probably will be better targets available like Onana, or Maignan. 

Emi seems a pretty pragmatic guy to me. The simple joy he derives from football reminds me of playing (badly) in goals as a kid. He relishes every save. He'll climb above anyone to catch the ball and he'll sooner hurt himself than spill it. He loves the game and he just wants to play.

I don't see him leaving unless/until we want him to go. He just doesn't strike me as the type to get his head turned by a 'bigger' team. After all he left an Arsenal side who were better than us at the time after winning medals with them. We all know why he did, but it speaks volumes: he just wanted to play.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

See I’m saying “what if they do offer him that?” - because I think he’s that good. I’m not immediately worried about it - just saying my working assumption that he’s here for years and years may not work out if he improves further.

To your second point it depends how much cash eh… if Madrid want someone they usually get them.

Anyway this was a pure hypothetical that a couple of years down the line a monster club might come in for him so young goalkeeping prospects should still be in our mind. 

You guys don't half at time get stressed about our players leaving. I can't understand it to a degree but in reality there's no point with all these leaving thoughts all the time.

I mean one minute it's Grealish, then that settles it's onto another players, onto another player, onto another player, back to Grealish, onto another player leaving, onto another player, onto another player, aback to Grealish leaving.

You guys could seriously make a Guineas book of world record achievements just over this, I bet you have dumped thousands of hours between you into into leaving posts 🤣.

Eventually they will all leave, what's important is we enjoy there time here while we can. Our Owners are different to previous Owners, no longer will we sell our best who are playing there best. No longer either will we be bullied in this industry. Really we can fight off big clubs now and the only way a player leaves is if they ask for a transfer and decline a new contract. I can't imagine anyone leaving while ever the club is moving in the right direction. Our players signed here because they knew something was being built, they have seen what we or anyone has not which are plans to the now and the future, they didn't sign to take up and leave a year or two from now. Player like Martinez, Grealish, Watkins and couple of others could no doubt demand that a transfer for them goes ahead to a massive club, but it won't happen, they look happy together and have built a close family. They have signed new contracts as well without trouble, they know what's being built here and the recent signing of Buendia only confirms the club is moving forward with there plans.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Emi seems a pretty pragmatic guy to me. The simple joy he derives from football reminds me of playing (badly) in goals as a kid. He relishes every save. He'll climb above anyone to catch the ball and he'll sooner hurt himself than spill it. He loves the game and he just wants to play.

I don't see him leaving unless/until we want him to go. He just doesn't strike me as the type to get his head turned by a 'bigger' team. After all he left an Arsenal side who were better than us at the time after winning medals with them. We all know why he did, but it speaks volumes: he just wanted to play.

Last game of the season Targett apologised at the end to Martinez about him not getting the clean sheet record. He was smiling and said ‘it is what it is’. And he genuinely will have meant it, he seems really happy to be here. I remember cursing Kieran Richardson as a mercenary when he was with us, I’m happy we’ve moved on as far as we have in regards to our personnel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

You guys don't half at time get stressed about our players leaving. I can't understand it to a degree but in reality there's no point with all these leaving thoughts all the time.

I mean one minute it's Grealish, then that settles it's onto another players, onto another player, onto another player, back to Grealish, onto another player leaving, onto another player, onto another player, aback to Grealish leaving.

You guys could seriously make a Guineas book of world record achievements just over this, I bet you have dumped thousands of hours between you into into leaving posts 🤣.

The Lerner years are still lingering in the background for a lot of our fans, I imagine. We’ve been through a bit of a rollercoaster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

The Lerner years are still lingering in the background for a lot of our fans, I imagine. We’ve been through a bit of a rollercoaster.

I can certainly feel the past two decades still lingering and not yet totally accepted that things have changed at this club. I see some posts and you can feel it in the words that some fans do really thing that the things I mention about not being bullied or conned for our best players, well you can just feel from fans that they think that somehow it will happen. I certainly have no fears anymore about such things like that. I also feel that if somehow a bigger club does manage to prize a player from us it will be on our terms and not there's, that we control the sale now and not them and we set the price. I feel the club is very well looked after, after twenty years at least of shite from Owners and people in charge, that the nonsense has finally been ripped away from the club and finally replaced with desire, knowledge and Experience, Ambition and determination to see us back at the top.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Do I seem stressed? I said that I have been assuming he’ll be our goalkeeper for the next 7-8 years then vaguely speculated at some point a massive club might come in for him because I think he’s world class. I’ll call my therapist to check but I don’t feel overly anxious about it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Do I seem stressed? I said that I have been assuming he’ll be our goalkeeper for the next 7-8 years then vaguely speculated at some point a massive club might come in for him because I think he’s world class. I’ll call my therapist to check but I don’t feel overly anxious about it.

Why would you speculate.  I know this is a discussion forum but seems very defeatist subconsciously that it comes to mind at this point.  It's like getting happily married today and wondering if your wife will leave you next year because there are better looking guys in the world.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why would you speculate.  I know this is a discussion forum but seems very defeatist subconsciously that it comes to mind at this point.  It's like getting happily married today and wondering if your wife will leave you next year because there are better looking guys in the world.

Christ alive. I certainly wish now I had never said anything. For the last time I just said I assume he’ll be our goalkeeper for years unless a huge club signs him. I’m sorry to have expressed this opinion that has upset everyone. I assure those worried that I am not ‘stressed’, ‘upset’ or ‘subconsciously defeatist’… I just said our goalkeeper is brilliant and might be a target for the biggest clubs in the world if he keeps that level up for a couple more years. I won’t comment on it again.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Eventually they will all leave, what's important is we enjoy there time here while we can. Our Owners are different to previous Owners, no longer will we sell our best who are playing there best. No longer either will we be bullied in this industry. Really we can fight off big clubs now and the only way a player leaves is if they ask for a transfer and decline a new contract. I can't imagine anyone leaving while ever the club is moving in the right direction. Our players signed here because they knew something was being built, they have seen what we or anyone has not which are plans to the now and the future, they didn't sign to take up and leave a year or two from now. Player like Martinez, Grealish, Watkins and couple of others could no doubt demand that a transfer for them goes ahead to a massive club, but it won't happen, they look happy together and have built a close family. They have signed new contracts as well without trouble, they know what's being built here and the recent signing of Buendia only confirms the club is moving forward with there plans.

I completely agree with the sentiment we are building something and hopefully we will progress year on year, but I don't think for one minute players won't leave for percieved better opportunities looking 'happy together' means nothing in modern football, players have ambition. It's mooted Spurs was Ollies preferred destination last year but Levy wouldn't take a punt on him our gain at the end of the day, but if they came in hard with 50 mil bid and 150k a week package I think he'd be off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I completely agree with the sentiment we are building something and hopefully we will progress year on year, but I don't think for one minute players won't leave for percieved better opportunities looking 'happy together' means nothing in modern football, players have ambition. It's mooted Spurs was Ollies preferred destination last year but Levy wouldn't take a punt on him our gain at the end of the day, but if they came in hard with 50 mil bid and 150k a week package I think he'd be off. 

Spurs will get £100m+ for Kane. There is no way we’re accepting half that for Watkins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I'd like to think so but we will see.

Not a hope is Levy getting him for what we paid +20m. He'd need to double our money + pay a premium for being a detestable wankstain.

If Ollie leaves us it'll be for a top club, not that circus show in North London.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Christ alive. I certainly wish now I had never said anything. For the last time I just said I assume he’ll be our goalkeeper for years unless a huge club signs him. I’m sorry to have expressed this opinion that has upset everyone. I assure those worried that I am not ‘stressed’, ‘upset’ or ‘subconsciously defeatist’… I just said our goalkeeper is brilliant and might be a target for the biggest clubs in the world if he keeps that level up for a couple more years. I won’t comment on it again.

say what you feel, else it all becomes pointless....Thats the essence of a site like this, honest opinion.

It doesn't matter, who agrees....its your opinion.....but equally, others reserve the right to give their opinion, which may not be the same as yours, but there again, who cares.....but the big thing here is, "honest opinions".

Don't be offended, if your opinion is the only one, doesn't make it wrong.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4