Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Looking through reddit and apparently Benfica fans hate Seferovic and want to get rid of him. But then you look at his stats and he has 22 goals and 7 assists last season.

Feels like another Bertrand Traore situation. Could be worthwhile to get in on that situation.

25 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Looking through reddit and apparently Benfica fans hate Seferovic and want to get rid of him. But then you look at his stats and he has 22 goals and 7 assists last season.

Feels like another Bertrand Traore situation. Could be worthwhile to get in on that situation.

Would rather Embolo - really has something about him! Only 24 too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Nooooooo thank you 

Got a bit of a bully boy look about him that would suit the PL but at the same time I don't think would work in the PL because he's not actually very good, whenever I've seen him (internationals only tbf) he just seems like a wet blanket of a player, puts himself about, can hold the ball up but never actually looks like scoring, looked it up and he has 21 international goals, only 1 in a tournament and that was in 2014 

we already have that striker 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Isn't Seferovic really old now? Seems to have been around for a while.

Said it in the match thread but if we want a wide player who can stretch defences a bit on counter attacks then I think Dan James would be worth gamble. Think he'd be much better value than say Dwight McNeill as really not much difference in ability level imo and one would cost 20m and the other seemingly 30m +.

Even with Buendia we're not exactly overflowing with wide players currently. I wouldn't say four players in the squad is enough if we want decent league cup run especially if Jack or Buendia play at number 10 position so not it's just 3 players for two positions so not much coming off the bench either.

Was easily Wales best player in final third though on the rare occasions he got the ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

What are the chances we can get someone like Andy Delort? Especially considering Montpellier's financial woes.

That's a name I haven't read for a while. I remember Wigan signing him years back (possibly under Martinez when they signed loads of randoms from abroad and he lasted about six months scoring zero goals).

Edited by VillaChris

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's a name I haven't read for a while. I remember Wigan signing him years back (possibly under Martinez when they signed loads of randoms from abroad and he lasted about six months scoring zero goals).

I'm surprised actually that you haven't heard of him in a while. He's been killing it with Montpellier last season, I assumed he would've been on more people's radar. 15 goals and 9 assists with them.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

9 hours ago, Philosopher said:

He turned them down last summer don't forget.

Other way around I think they were his preferred destination but Levy was to much of a tight **** to take a punt on him. 

He's not going anywhere good chance we'll finish above spurs next season if they don't have Kane's goals.

On 10/06/2021 at 09:35, zab6359 said:

That's why Callum Wilson is at Newcastle on a 4 yr 80k a week deal instead of here.

AND a 5th year - if he wants it.

Embolo used to be really highly rated, especially on the Football Manager games. The lad has scored has scored hundreds of goals for me in previous games!

In real life sadly he hasn't come on the same way, every year he seems to get less and less goals. Used to be around 1 in 3 now 1 in 6(ish) in Germany.

13 hours ago, rubberman said:

I think it's interesting. For years we've been a club that has to offload (mostly) shite. We haven't had players until recently that anyone would really want. That's all changing now. Jack is a pretty unique situation being a fan and growing up in the club, but others don't have that connection. 

It feels like Martinez has some loyalty because of the chance he's been given to properly start his career but if the opportunity came for a big move, I'm sure he would go. Same for McGinn, Watkins, Konsa etc. Pretty much every club is a selling club when the price is right and we will have players who are desired, finally, so inevitably some move on. Hopefully we have plans in place for when it happens, like Leicester. 

The important bit is not IF, but how many of our top performers go and when. More than a few at the same time and the risks increase.

As you say, if we can limit it, stagger it and seamlessly introduce our replacements, then the current level of progress, or something close to it, can be maintained.

In years gone by, we might have one or two assets other teams wanted and they would be picked off with someone unsatisfactory brought in to replace them, or we wouldn't get anyone at at all, so you would end up with a bunch of square pegs in round holes.

We do at least have some structured momentum and intent now and that is a very pleasant change for the better.

I was one of the moaners in the season just gone when our form dipped in the second half, but mostly because the prospect of yet another false dawn was just too painful to contemplate!

Like many, I have since accepted that we are on a journey, but clearly heading in the right direction.

There are going to be more bumps in the road, as we continue making progress, including the loss of key players to so called bigger teams.

As fans, I think we have to trust these owners for a while and try enjoying the journey for what it is, for better or worse.

That won't always be easy when jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst is our more natural inclination!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

AND a 5th year - if he wants it.

I wish we could have signed Wilson as he's done superb at Newcastle. 12 goals in 26 games for a team that struggled for most of last season. He certainly would have helped get us more goals in those games we badly needed them. I think we need this type of experienced Premiership Striker n our squad as the back up for Watkins

Edited by CVByrne

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I wish we could have signed Wilson as he's done superb at Newcastle. 12 goals in 26 games for a team that struggled for most of last season. He certainly would have helped get us more goals in those games we badly needed them. I think we need this type of experienced Premiership Striker n our squad as the back up for Watkins

Agree his type is something we lack.

I don't think Wilson was the one for us though. He won't be much use to Newcastle in the 2024-25 season when he'll still be taking a fat whack of money off them and hardly making appearances off the bench.

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Some dude on Twitter says we’re signing Josh King on a free for £30k pw and an extra £15k if he plays.

Theres still a tiny chance this may not happen!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think that’s a little unfair on Doug Ellis. Say what you will about Doug but he had Villa running through his veins, tried his best with Villa whilst never risking the club financially. He also recognised when he wouldn’t be able to keep the club competing and sold up to Lerner, who, let’s not forget, started very well at Villa. Had it not been for Abu Dhabi buying Man City at that time, things might well have turned out very differently for Villa under Lerner. But that will never excuse how Lerner then simply lost interest in Villa to the point he ran the club into the ground before relegating us. If that wasn’t bad enough, Lerner then sold up to Xia who very nearly made us extinct within a couple of years. 

Doug Ellis may well have had flaws, but he certainly never willingly risked the clubs existence. The two owners after him were reckless with the club in different ways.

What you say about Randy is very much on the ball as your contributions so often are, but I hope that you don't mind me accepting your above offer (I feel I still have to, even after all those years). 

HDE thought he was "Aston Villa". His return led to Ron Saunders departure. Getting him to spend money was like trying to get blood out of a stone. He always took the "cheap" option (other than when it came to paying himself a hefty wage out of the club and making millions when he sold it to Lerner). Rather than adding quality players to the squad after we had won the EC, he squandered the opportunity to make us regular title challengers, using balancing the books as an excuse for his lack of ambition. His policies led to our relegation shortly after winning the EC and he loathed the fact that our biggest wins happened in his absence. He had little time for "mere men of the terraces".  This topic would be a lot more hostile, would have been more about players leaving than signing and would have had nowhere near the level of satisfaction that it currently contained within it during his period at the helm. That is more than enough about HDE for now.

Any juicy links in the press this morning? ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John said:

What you say about Randy is very much on the ball as your contributions so often are, but I hope that you don't mind me accepting your above offer (I feel I still have to, even after all those years). 

HDE thought he was "Aston Villa". His return led to Ron Saunders departure. Getting him to spend money was like trying to get blood out of a stone. He always took the "cheap" option (other than when it came to paying himself a hefty wage out of the club and making millions when he sold it to Lerner). Rather than adding quality players to the squad after we had won the EC, he squandered the opportunity to make us regular title challengers, using balancing the books as an excuse for his lack of ambition. His policies led to our relegation shortly after winning the EC and he loathed the fact that our biggest wins happened in his absence. He had little time for "mere men of the terraces".  This topic would be a lot more hostile, would have been more about players leaving than signing and would have had nowhere near the level of satisfaction that it currently contained within it during his period at the helm. That is more than enough about HDE for now.

Any juicy links in the press this morning? ;)

Sir Graham Taylor said something along the lines, that Doug would always give you money but never enough to make that extra step up needed to really compete at the top. Fortunately our current owners don’t appear to have the same corner shop attitude. 

Sorry John that’s enough on HDE. Let’s get into the juicy stuff now. Any links to KDB or are we keeping it quiet until he signs?

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 3