Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Saw an interview with Jack where he said, with England, there’s loads of players that can take advantage of the free kicks that he wins, but not so much at Villa.  Thought that was strange, makes sense if we are trying to sign JWP ??

1 hour ago, Villaphil said:

If we’re buying JWP and Buendia with Jack still at the club, would tend to mean 1 of 2 things:

1). They are spending the money we’d get from Jack and pocketing the change.  (Doesn’t sound like our owners), or

2). We are confident Jack is staying.

Sounds a lot more likely to be 2).  I get the feeling Jack’s agreed a new deal, only to be signed and announced after all our in comings (Avoiding wage inflation).

Honestly it’s positive either way. I mean not selling Jack, that’s awful, but IF we are selling him I’d rather have all our replacements in up front. We have to accept that we don’t want him to leave but at some point he might have an absurdly high price. The stronger our squad, the more likely we are to keep him AND the better prepared we would be if he left (which I don’t think he will).

24 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Luiz

Sanson

McGinn

Ward-Prowse 

Nakamba

Rotate these guys in and out to keep fresh legs. Still maybe a bit lightweight however. 

These five plus Ramsey is hardly an overload of depth between 3 midfield positions if we are playing 4-3-3, and any two of them work in a 4-2-3-1. I think we would be fine without JWP because I rate our existing central midfielders but I can see the logic behind signing him. Would suggest we won’t sign another winger though and will have Grealish, Buendia, Traore, AEG as our wide options. Then Carney and JPB pushing for minutes and a place on the bench. That’s a good place to be for us as a squad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Someone talk to me about Bissouma. Is the that good? I’ve not seen enough of him to understand the hype, in him being worth more than 3 or 4 times what we paid for Nakamba or Luiz.

I'd say he isn't quite as good defensively as nakamba but he has a flair that none of our midfield currently have. The thing with him is he brings the defence and attack and is easily Brightons best player and if they had a striker who could finish his dinner (People wanted maupay lol) they would have been on par with us. 

Bissouma is a fantastic player and I would love to get him. 

Even if we're not after Ward-Prowse, this kmight just indicate that we're more than willing to shell out big for the player we want, even after securing Buendia. Probably wise to load up on celebratory gif's and toast-friendly beers!

5 hours ago, sne said:

From what I've seen he's not the DCM anchor man, destroyer that some seen to hope he is, but he's a very good CM/DM (he's also only 4 cm taller than Douglas Luiz :D) I'd say he's a slightly more physical version of Luiz, slightly taller, stronger and faster. Be delighted to have him here but I don't think he would transform how we play or offer something completely different.

If we want the DCM to change our style I'd go for Aurélien Tchouaméni at Monaco or Boubakary Soumaré at Lille (but that ship has sadly sailed)

And on that note has Denis Zakaria moved anywhere yet? Now there is someone who'd fit the bill. Only 1 year left on his contract at Mönchengladbach who are in a bit of a rebuild mode.

Apparently city are in for zakaria

4 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Surely not, great at set pieces and a decent all round midfielder….

The price would be huge is he would just be muscling into a role in the team which we have loads who can already do it.

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Never really rated JWP other than his set pieces (is he really any better than our existing players?) but yeah, if we are going for him it does make you wonder if we are sacrificing one of our midfielders… but I can’t see who.

Nakamba will surely move on....and Conor of course. So that's two out from the midfield set that started last season and we've also lost Barkley as a central midfield option.

More I think about it wouldn't shock me if Jacob Ramsey went out on loan as we sign Ward Prowse I can't see him getting anywhere close to the minutes he got this season, wonder if we're tempted to include him in Buendia deal given Norwich have lost Oliver Skipp and will be needing central midfielder so him there for a season could be a smart long term move for us.

Get the feeling the manager isn't confident Sanson will adapt if we're after Ward Prowse as with him and also SJM it's all a bit samey in midfield so one of them has to be odd man out (or McGinn plays significantly less minutes.

Unless the plan is to play a narrow 3, have Jack and Buendia floating either side of Ollie and then if it's still 0-0 after an hour...put on AEG and Traore with ability to stretch things a little more.

Should certainly have more game turning options on the bench this season if we can add a striker aswell.

For the money he'd cost there are a host of other targets I'd rather we tried for if we're after another CM but he's not a bad player at all and his set piece delivery is ace.

Would be very surprised if this one comes off thou.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Nakamba will surely move on....and Conor of course. So that's two out from the midfield set that started last season and we've also lost Barkley as a central midfield option.

More I think about it wouldn't shock me if Jacob Ramsey went out on loan as we sign Ward Prowse I can't see him getting anywhere close to the minutes he got this season, wonder if we're tempted to include him in Buendia deal given Norwich have lost Oliver Skipp and will be needing central midfielder so him there for a season could be a smart long term move for us.

Get the feeling the manager isn't confident Sanson will adapt if we're after Ward Prowse as with him and also SJM it's all a bit samey in midfield so one of them has to be odd man out (or McGinn plays significantly less minutes.

Unless the plan is to play a narrow 3, have Jack and Buendia floating either side of Ollie and then if it's still 0-0 after an hour...put on AEG and Traore with ability to stretch things a little more.

Should certainly have more game turning options on the bench this season if we can add a striker aswell.

Nakamba is our only out and out DM so will probably stay in the squad and be used to come on late in games & help us out defensively, to see games out. Seems to have a great personality too and won’t “rock the boat” at all. We could do with an upgrade in that position (in midfield) most of all though, providing some physicality and dominance of the ball to stop us looking so lightweight at times. That would be the best position to target for an upgrade…

Deano plays Luiz there but many of us have wondered whether he will be played further forward in future (I doubt it). I think he will continue with Doug there and maybe give him some direct competition. He showed excellent form to help us stay up back in the survival season, could hit those heights again and progress from there…

I’m sure Sanson is seen as a big part of our plans, we’ve followed the player for a while and took advantage of the opportunity to get him signed for a good deal. This is a guy who has been highly rated and has played in the CL, he won’t be coming here to accept being a reserve. He will expect major game time and hasn’t really got started for us yet.

We all know Deano loves McGinn…

Those two will be competing and pushing each other for that position in midfield…

I believe we will play with a CAM whether that’s Jack or Buendia and we saw how revolutionary that was for us at the start of the season… we missed that quality in there as the season went on (injuries and loss of form - Barkley & Jack).

Yeah I believe Conor will go and am all for a loan for Ramsey, I don’t think he’s ready or good enough yet especially if we want to be competing much higher up the table than where we finished.

So we have McGinn & Sanson who are similar. Luiz can interchange with their position and DM/DLP. Carney to possibly come in at times too.

Someone will have to drop out for JWP but I don’t see how he is an upgrade on our box to box midfielders… could he play as our DM/DLP? Is he defensively sound? Where does that leave Luiz? And then Nakamba of course…

I would think the it is both McGinn & Sanson’s position that he would be targeted for but I don’t see how he is any better in general play. Sanson could turn out to be the best of the lot…

Not against signing anyone to bolster us but I would like genuine upgrades rather than more of the same and for us to fill gaps in the side - a proper, strong DM with quality on the ball and the ability to control and dictate possession would be more than welcome. Maybe that’s where Dean sees JWP? 🤷‍♂️ 

If we manage to pry JWP it’s the massive fee that concerns me and would it be worth it when he wouldn’t offer much more/better than what we already have? He’s never stood out as one of the best players in the league or anything, take away his free kick ability (as much of an asset as it is) and I don’t think he would stand out…

I don’t really see where he fits in but back the club if they deem him a worthwhile signing…

I just think there is better quality and better value out there that we could get… don’t think we should be too stuck on this PL experience approach, many fantastic players have come in from abroad and raised the bar in terms of talent & quality…

• Like 2

Here's where we're at currently, assuming we get Buendia over the line.  

Biggest Needs:

1. Left Back
  2. Central Midfield
  3. Possible Right Back if Guilbert is off
  4. Central Defender Youth Promotion

One injury to our starting CMs and we're forced to play 4-2-3-1 with Jack or Buendia in the hole.  Ward-Prowse would push one of Douglas Luiz/McGinn/Sanson to the bench and provide some much needed competition/depth to those spots, instead of just the kids.

Position 1st 2nd 3rd Outgoing
GK Martinez Steer Kalinic Heaton
RB Cash Guilbert   Elmohamady
CB Konsa Engels

CB Mings Hause  
LB Targett     Taylor
CM Douglas Luiz Nakamba

Hourihane
Barkley
CM McGinn Chukwuemeka
CM Sanson Ramsey
RF Buendia Traore Trezeguet  
LF Grealish El Ghazi Philogene-Bidace  
ST Watkins Wesley Davis  

Depth Needed    
    Possible Loan    
    Possible Exit    
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Here's where we're at currently, assuming we get Buendia over the line.  

Biggest Needs:

1. Left Back
  2. Central Midfield
  3. Possible Right Back if Guilbert is off
  4. Central Defender Youth Promotion

One injury to our starting CMs and we're forced to play 4-2-3-1 with Jack or Buendia in the hole.  Ward-Prowse would push one of Douglas Luiz/McGinn/Sanson to the bench and provide some much needed competition/depth to those spots, instead of just the kids.

Position 1st 2nd 3rd Outgoing
GK Martinez Steer Kalinic Heaton
RB Cash Guilbert   Elmohamady
CB Konsa Engels

CB Mings Hause  
LB Targett     Taylor
CM Douglas Luiz Nakamba

Hourihane
Barkley
CM McGinn Chukwuemeka
CM Sanson Ramsey
RF Buendia Traore Trezeguet  
LF Grealish El Ghazi Philogene-Bidace  
ST Watkins Wesley Davis  

Depth Needed    
    Possible Loan    
    Possible Exit    

Purslow hinted that we will only buy 2 players this summer, and we have 1 of those already.  

So probably just one more player to come in.

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Purslow hinted that we will only buy 2 players this summer, and we have 1 of those already.  

So probably just one more player to come in.

That would leave us with a 21 man strong senior squad. Even with some quality young players coming through I can't see us giving ourselves that handicap.

Guess there is always free transfers and loans who are technically not buys.

• Thanks 1