Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't think Berardi is the sort of personality we'll be pursuing.

He's a bit wild. Picked up plenty of silly reds for no reason.

I was surprised to see that recently. He seems to have been sent off at least once every season of his career.

Anyone watch much Italian football? What's he like? Is he a bit of a hothead?

40 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Fernandinho is younger than Thiago Silva. I think age is always a factor but it's simplistic to say someone who's 36 can't help take us up a level, even if it's for one season.  He'd likely cost no more than Barkley did for one season.,

Our past problems with older players generally relate to the fact that they weren't still capable of playing at the highest level and in some cases weren't motivated to try.  Fernandinho's omission from the Champions League final is widely regarded as one of the reasons city failed to lift that elusive cup.  For motivation, see this statement: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPooYGXD1nb/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

"We've been down this road before" - as above and remember that we've also been down the "young and hungry" route before, as well as "picking up the best from the lower leagues".  Both did not work out at all.  The reality is it's a hole we could plug - even if he were to play 20-30 or so games in a season as we bring someone else through. He'd also make cover for CB in a crisis - a position where it looks like we currently have three players.

As for listening to Purslow, well I hope our rivals also take his words completely at face value.  I think he's capable of more nuance, and also some misdirection.  We've had statements from the leadership about not having a big transfer window then we spend, or not loaning players and then having arguably the season's highest profile loan.  It will come down to context and timing.

All that said I wasn't claiming we' sign him - just that he would be worth the money.

Some sound reasoning here, not disputing your logic but no way we are going to go there.

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I was surprised to see that recently. He seems to have been sent off at least once every season of his career.

Anyone watch much Italian football? What's he like? Is he a bit of a hothead?

He's a good player. Cuts in off the right wing onto his left foot, bit more direct than Traore. Scored a lot of big goals for Sassuolo.

Ever heard the Mourinho/Balotelli red card story?

Those are the sort of reds he gets. Right wally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

Kalvin Phillips annoyingly was the guy we needed not Nakamba as it goes.

Oh well.

Phillips was their Grealish and not for sale. Nakamba cost less than a 3rd what Leeds wanted. Also as I've posted often recently Nakamba does good job when called upon. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

First time I got app good look at Bellingham. He is the missing piece for our midfield. When we get 3rd and champions league football 2 years from now we have to pay whatever Dortmund want. 

Nah he's just a poor man's Carney. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Phillips was their Grealish and not for sale. Nakamba cost less than a 3rd what Leeds wanted. Also as I've posted often recently Nakamba does good job when called upon. 

Multiple stories have come out, and confirmed from the horses mouth, that he was actually ready to come here. So it wasn't as " Not for sale " as you would think.

Had a chat with his Nan and decided to stay at Leeds.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Nah he's just a poor man's Carney. 

Give me both. Bellingham in a double pivot behind Jack, Carney, Buendia and Watkins. 

i want GIF

23 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

First time I got a good look at Bellingham. He is the missing piece for our midfield. When we get 3rd and champions league football 2 years from now we have to pay whatever Dortmund want. 

Some player, that boy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Creeper said:

Unsure how legit this guy is, probably not at all. Just passing this on anyway. 

Can't find anything over here in Italy about it, I'll have another look tomorrow. He's a very good player though but if we've got Buendia to play right sided and we have Troare not sure abotu it to be honest. 

• Thanks 1

Would still love us to get in a Carew type for the final third.

When we signed him in Jan 2007 he was 27 and had already started a CL final and started for top clubs in Spain, Italy and France.

Sort of signing you knew would instantly improve us and he did and we moved from bottom half to top 6 three years running.

Any gettable similar type in europe currently?

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

When we signed him in Jan 2007 he was 27 and had already started a CL final and started for top clubs in Spain, Italy and France.

Sort of signing you knew would instantly improve us and he did and we moved from bottom half to top 6 three years running.

I'm wondering who that player will be as well. Maybe it's not this year but the next step after we gather this young, talented core is to top it off with a Carew like signing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Creeper said:

Unsure how legit this guy is, probably not at all. Just passing this on anyway. 

Might have been doing background work in case Buendia didn't pan out, but I can't imagine this happening now. He's a very good player, though. Will likely be playing a lot of minutes for Italy this month.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That implies they would start. We're not replacing Watkins as striker and not playing 2 forwards. 

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Fernandinho? If we're willing to break the wage structure and throw money at him to help us get higher up the table 

• Haha 1