Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

At 20 mil Eddie Nketiah would be worth a punt?

He'll go down along with a few of those Liverpool youngsters where you wonder how they manage to get such high fees for them 

He's not a £20m footballer, not a chance 

Willock then jumps to £30m, ESR would start with a 4...its madness 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Suspect we will need to wait, especially with Euro’s about to start.

I think we went early for Buendia because it probably suited Norwich to deal early so they’ve time to build. I also suspect it would have suited Arsenal to wait and try and shift people first which wouldn’t have been good for Norwich.

So I suspect we flexed our financial muscle but also out manoeuvred Arsenal, we also seem to not piss off clubs when buying players which is I think important.

I’d love to see another follow quickly but can’t see it.

As I said previously though, the stuff a couple of weeks ago about us not spending much this window... not buying it.

I think we will spend circa £80-100m again.

So circa 65m left. Nice.

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think we still clearly need a midfielder DM whatever you want to call it and a LW or CAM. As is we have 4 players for 3 positions. For me ideally a LW but others prefer Jack outwide so whatever.

Aside from. That depth is probably the necessary next step. LB, CB, GK (could we re-sign Heaton now his move to united has fallen through), and ST are the Notable areas where we lack depth especially if we plan to send Davis out on loan which I would hope we would do. Whether to develop as a first team player or to sell on as he enters his final contract year. 

LW = AEG with Watkins as 3rd choice, but only if you rate your support striker.

21 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

At 20 mil Eddie Nketiah would be worth a punt?

My Leeds mate says Arsenal are trying to fob him off to them and we both agreed he's bang average. Certainly not for that money. 

Just now, Villaphil said:

LW = AEG with Watkins as 3rd choice, but only if you rate your support striker.

I'm probably el Ghazis biggest proponent on here but there is no way next season should he be starting more than 20 games

Watkins should not be 3rd choice as the LW. He is a great striker but not good enough as a winger. 

I'm of the opinion grealish should be a CAM do I would be signing a LW to make el ghazi the 2nd choice and grealish the 3rd. Especially as I thi k we need some more pace in attack. 

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

Any ideas about who we might try to sign as LB cover/comp for Targett?

Mings would be that person for me. I'd prefer it if we spent a chunk on a much better ball playing centre back to replace Engels than a back up left back. I'd like to see Mings moved back out to left back for a few games. Maybe Conor Coady or Ben White??

• Confused 1

Just now, TrentVilla said:

Its only a hunch but yeah I think so.

For me I think we will match or increase that first summer in spending. Now is the time to break into Europe and if we do the extra spending is justified by increased revenue and more importantly increased attraction to top quality players. 

I reckon there will still be 100 mil left in the kitty. Maybe an extra 20 mil on top of that to get some more depth. As we need 4 depth players on top of in my opinion 2 more first team players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wes said:

I think Lange will look to the continent for value for that backup to Targett role.

We've been linked with Ghislain Konan from Reims which makes a lot of sense. 25yo - so can sign a 3/4 year contract and still have value. Has played International football before which helps with the new Work Permit rules. Most importantly he's only got one year left on his current contract so is a prime value transfer target as clubs hate losing players on frees. He would likely be "cheap" in the modern-day sense that it probably wont be in excess of £10m.

Hasn't it been quoted somewhere that we'd looking at players with English football experience?

Not saying that we wouldn't look at the continent (it would be daft to rule out players from abroad completely), but I don't think we'll be focusing resource there.

I can't see Jed Steer being 2nd choice keeper next season? With Heaton gone that leaves a big void strange how people think we need need 19 right backs but don't give a GK a thought.

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

Mings would be that person for me. I'd prefer it if we spent a chunk on a much better ball playing centre back to replace Engels than a back up left back. I'd like to see Mings moved back out to left back for a few games. Maybe Conor Coady or Ben White??

Mings has said he can no longer play as a LB he can't get up and down the pitch that many times a game with his hamstrings anymore. 

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

Hasn't it been quoted somewhere that we'd looking at players with English football experience?

Not saying that we wouldn't look at the continent (it would be daft to rule out players from abroad completely), but I don't think we'll be focusing resource there.

I think it will be English experience for players who can step straight into the first 11.

Look abroad for more squad fillers. 

Just now, zab6359 said:

I can't see Jed Steer being 2nd choice keeper next season? With Heaton gone that leaves a big void strange how people think we need need 19 right backs but don't give a GK a thought.

I think we will re-sign him. The United deal has fallen through and I can't really see anyone else in the prem needing him as a first choice so staying with us makes sense. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm probably el Ghazis biggest proponent on here but there is no way next season should he be starting more than 20 games

Watkins should not be 3rd choice as the LW. He is a great striker but not good enough as a winger. 

I'm of the opinion grealish should be a CAM do I would be signing a LW to make el ghazi the 2nd choice and grealish the 3rd. Especially as I thi k we need some more pace in attack. 

Watkins not good enough as a winger?

Just now, MotoMkali said:

I think we will re-sign him. The United deal has fallen through and I can't really see anyone else in the prem needing him as a first choice so staying with us makes sense. 

Did he fail the medical? Have a feeling he's done