Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

09/10 was his one poor season for us (MON lost confidence in him after refusing to play in Moscow allegedly and his back injuries) but even in that season he scored 10 league goals in 33 prem games (and many of those were sub cameos at that stage). Also scored v Vienna and a fair few goals in the FA cup run.

2008/09 was 11 in 27 and 07/08 was 13 in 32 games.

Gabby also hit double figures in those seasons so would be good again to have two forwards capable of double figures which we're miles off currently when you see who the two current back ups are.

He loved the rocket club on broad st

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Aren't we allowed a striker who can come on after 60 minutes and win us a game we're losing 1-0 in this brave new vision of ours? Weren't Chelsea losing 1-0 to usin 19/20, they put on Giroud and Pulisic on the hour and within about 10 minutes were 2-1 up with both scoring and won the game.

We gained the grand total of 5 points from losing positions all last season (Chelsea away, West Brom 2-2 and the fulham game, that's it I think) so going to have to massively improve on that to have serious shot at top 6 in next few years as no team scores first in every single league game they play.

At least now likes of Traore and AEG have shown they can impact at various parts of the season so they can be impact options after an hour so with a CF and perhaps even McGinn being rested from time to time and giving us fresh legs after an hour to impact on games (rather than fading from 70 minutes as tends to happen many times) there should be no excuse for having little on the bench that can seriously impact a result from next season. Hoping that's the main reason DS is so reluctant to change until very late in second halves most times.

We were losing to Spurs as well 

• Like 1

If Buendia is done (I think it is) and JWP coming in (I’m a long way from convinced on that one) then I’d be happy with a young left back and a veteran goalkeeper. Anything else would be a bonus. If JWP not coming in I think we still need another option either in the middle or wide (either works because Buendia and Grealish can do either and we can play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1). 

Edit: that is because I personally think Wesley can be our backup striker which I know many disagree with - if Smith doesn’t think so then I guess we also need an option up front.

Edited by Adam2003

I think we still clearly need a midfielder DM whatever you want to call it and a LW or CAM. As is we have 4 players for 3 positions. For me ideally a LW but others prefer Jack outwide so whatever.

Aside from. That depth is probably the necessary next step. LB, CB, GK (could we re-sign Heaton now his move to united has fallen through), and ST are the Notable areas where we lack depth especially if we plan to send Davis out on loan which I would hope we would do. Whether to develop as a first team player or to sell on as he enters his final contract year. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Aren't we allowed a striker who can come on after 60 minutes and win us a game we're losing 1-0 in this brave new vision of ours? Weren't Chelsea losing 1-0 to usin 19/20, they put on Giroud and Pulisic on the hour and within about 10 minutes were 2-1 up with both scoring and won the game.

We gained the grand total of 5 points from losing positions all last season (Chelsea away, West Brom 2-2 and the fulham game, that's it I think) so going to have to massively improve on that to have serious shot at top 6 in next few years as no team scores first in every single league game they play.

At least now likes of Traore and AEG have shown they can impact at various parts of the season so they can be impact options after an hour so with a CF and perhaps even McGinn being rested from time to time and giving us fresh legs after an hour to impact on games (rather than fading from 70 minutes as tends to happen many times) there should be no excuse for having little on the bench that can seriously impact a result from next season. Hoping that's the main reason DS is so reluctant to change until very late in second halves most times.

Well said.

9 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Ryan Bertrand is on a free. We could do a lot worse in terms of back-up.

Solid career, did well for Villa before...how old now, 30?

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Solid career, did well for Villa before...how old now, 30?

31 I think, he will want a better option than us with a solid first team favourite in Targett.

Just now, paul514 said:

31 I think, he will want a better option than us with a solid first team favourite in Targett.

Especially given that Targett left Southampton because Bertrand was keeping him out the team… doubt he will fancy the reversal in fortunes. 

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

I think Lange will look to the continent for value for that backup to Targett role.

We've been linked with Ghislain Konan from Reims which makes a lot of sense. 25yo - so can sign a 3/4 year contract and still have value. Has played International football before which helps with the new Work Permit rules. Most importantly he's only got one year left on his current contract so is a prime value transfer target as clubs hate losing players on frees. He would likely be "cheap" in the modern-day sense that it probably wont be in excess of £10m.

• Like 1