Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

48 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Surely not, great at set pieces and a decent all round midfielder….

The price would be huge is he would just be muscling into a role in the team which we have loads who can already do it.

Rather we went for Koopmeiners, not even joking. Fulfils more of a need than JWP.

There are good alternatives around too such as Kamara, Zakaria, Herrera, Sangare, Soumare and more…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Kalvin Phillips annoyingly was the guy we needed not Nakamba as it goes.

Oh well.

I think it was Phillips or Douglas Luiz that summer.  We were priced out by Leeds, so we went after Dougie.  

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Purslow hinted that we will only buy 2 players this summer, and we have 1 of those already.  

So probably just one more player to come in.

Wasn’t it a couple of key players he said...which hinted 2 big time but open for some smaller deals.  Plus sometimes when you speak he’s not going to say a set amount, a couple is two but slightly is ambiguous to flexibility either side.  If it was two he would’ve said two but ‘a couple’ leaves the door open.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Wasn’t it a couple of key players he said...which hinted 2 big time but open for some smaller deals.  Plus sometimes when you speak he’s not going to say a set amount, a couple is two but slightly is ambiguous to flexibility either side.  If it was two he would’ve said two but ‘a couple’ leaves the door open.

Ah yes true.  2 key players. 

So possible for a couple of back-up cheap deals as well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I’ve seen Deano, on a few occasions, make reference to the third summer window being the one where you fill out your squad depth.  So 1 more record signing, then LB cover, RB/CB cover, then the decision as to whether you keep Wes or loan him out and bring in alternative cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I still think it’ll be three big signings and a couple small.  Opportunity when other teams are financially struggling, wanting to get a European place next season and we still have some big gaps in the starting XI.  This group aren’t going to miss a great opportunity to progress...

Also how often what the clubs say ends up being reality? Not often.  We are so focused on the word ‘couple’ as if that’s the locked in, whereas the club may do whatever or down playing what they will actually do.  I think focusing on that one line from Purslow maybe a false direction.  We obviously won’t know until the window shuts...

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I still think it’ll be three big signings and a couple small.  Opportunity when other teams are financially struggling, wanting to get a European place next season and we still have some big gaps in the starting XI.  This group aren’t going to miss a great opportunity to progress...

Also how often what the clubs say ends up being reality? Not often.  We are so focused on the word ‘couple’ as if that’s the locked in where the club may do whatever or down playing what they will actually do.  I think focusing on that one line from Purslow maybe a false direction.  We obviously won’t know until the window shuts...

Agree with you (again!).  Buendia being done early is no mistake.  Beating a club like Arsenal to his signature has really woken a few people up and will not be lost on players that we are targeting and their agents.  Several of the clubs above us budgeted on European income that they will not be earning next season.  I genuinely expect our board to see this as a massive opportunity.  I think we'll do one more "big" transfer within the next fortnight and then add a couple of squad options before pre-season.  Still have half a feeling that we might see a third massive signing before the start of the season.  Still leaves a good route into the first team squad in the next couple of seasons for our Academy too - and they will benefit from training with better players too.

My confidence level for next season has just gone into hyper-drive!

• Like 3

Left footed right winger who scores loads of goals (and a fair few assist).

He's been mentioned on here through the years as someone we'd like to sign. Wonder where this would leave Traoré thou as both Buendia and Berardi are RW's (who could fill in at ACM in a pinch)

My guess would be that either someone confused the names between him and Buendia or he was a target had we not gotten Buendia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Luiz

Sanson

McGinn

Ward-Prowse 

Nakamba

Rotate these guys in and out to keep fresh legs. Still maybe a bit lightweight however. 

100% too lightweight. JWP again a bit of an identikit Smith midfielder. Power and presence required. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Left footed right winger who scores loads of goals (and a fair few assist).

Was just going to say that. And based on that you know this transfer  is something Deano is hard for.

• Like 2

I actually thought Ward-Prowse got stuck in quite well today for England, dosen't shirk challenges and goes for the fifty/fifty balls, he's also hard working, there's a stat going around that he's one of the top players in the premier league for ground covered.

On 05/06/2021 at 08:24, TRO said:

perfectly tall enough for me, rest assured......just too old, now@ 36....there, something else to get your teeth in to.

We've been down that road and learnt our lesson.....listen to Mr Purslow.

Fernandinho is younger than Thiago Silva. I think age is always a factor but it's simplistic to say someone who's 36 can't help take us up a level, even if it's for one season.  He'd likely cost no more than Barkley did for one season.,

Our past problems with older players generally relate to the fact that they weren't still capable of playing at the highest level and in some cases weren't motivated to try.  Fernandinho's omission from the Champions League final is widely regarded as one of the reasons city failed to lift that elusive cup.  For motivation, see this statement: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPooYGXD1nb/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

"We've been down this road before" - as above and remember that we've also been down the "young and hungry" route before, as well as "picking up the best from the lower leagues".  Both did not work out at all.  The reality is it's a hole we could plug - even if he were to play 20-30 or so games in a season as we bring someone else through. He'd also make cover for CB in a crisis - a position where it looks like we currently have three players.

As for listening to Purslow, well I hope our rivals also take his words completely at face value.  I think he's capable of more nuance, and also some misdirection.  We've had statements from the leadership about not having a big transfer window then we spend, or not loaning players and then having arguably the season's highest profile loan.  It will come down to context and timing.

All that said I wasn't claiming we' sign him - just that he would be worth the money.

21 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Very nice. Obligatory youtube reel :)

The guy looks like an Italian Traore. Looks class to me. Perhaps a squad upgrade on Trez who isn't going to be playing anytime soon. 27 in a few months so maybe a little older than our usual targets. He got the odd assist on the left flank so could play there but definitely seems RW heavy. Nice to be linked with quality either way. 

• Like 1