Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I just see our clubs approach as fundamentally sound. There are 3 ways of improving the first team squad.

1. Is sign proven performers, be they top Championship players or proven in Premier League. 

2. Develop players through our academy 

3. Have a recruitment team try unearth talented gems from lower leagues / abroad

The key for all three options is to have a net positive result. What I mean by that is we get players who perform in the first team and achieve success for the club on the pitch. Or we get players who we sell on yielding a profit for the club. 

All clubs compete with regards option 1 above. Some clubs compete with us on option 3. those who are well run who want to invest cost in non playing staff to have a large recruitment department with lots of analysts and scouts. With regards option 2 we can have an advantage over the top teams as we can create a culture of promoting players to the first team (the way Dortmund do) and so we are a preferred choice to join over bigger clubs like Liverpool or United. 

I am keen to see how the three work together over the coming years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I wouldn't agree there, if we make top 6 and Europa League Jack will probably stay, if we don't then he might see he'll be 28 at best before he plays European football and might see next summer as the right time to go. 

As I said finish no later than 6. We have to be competing in Europe the season after next we can't expect Jack to stay if we can't improve. 

With Barkley, Taylor, Elmo & Heaton leaving that leaves us with a 20 man senior squad (J Ramsey included) . Add Trez who will be out injured for a majority of the season and it's 19. Then there is the question if Engels will be sold and if Davis and or Wesley will be loaned out and if anyone else might be up for sale or receive an offer we think is interesting.

Think it's safe to say that a couple of our young talented kids will feature with the seniors next season if it's correct that we will only sign a small amount of players in the summer.

I'm all for that approach.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think the outlay will be significant but we only really need 2-3 first team players/upgrades to make ourselves formidable…

I think that's what Purslow means by "a couple of smart signings" we really just need one more wide attacking player and a defensive midfielder upgrade on Nakamba. A left back for the squad and another forward possibly if they decide Wesley isn't up to it as primary back up. Promote a few of the promising academy players to fill up our first team squad. Job done

I hate reading articles where people put limitations on things(Purslow) . 

I mean why less transfers in(5) than last year? If the players and bargains are there we could easily get another 5 in(CDM, AMC, RW, LB, FWR?). 

This window could be like no other where so many cut price deals could happen. The French league seems to be teething with bargains especially. I just see a huge opportunity for Villa's future and will be disappointed if we don't take it. 

2 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I hate reading articles where people put limitations on things(Purslow) . 

I mean why less transfers in(5) than last year? If the players and bargains are there we could easily get another 5 in(CDM, AMC, RW, LB, FWR?). 

This window could be like no other where so many cut price deals could happen. The French league seems to be teething with bargains especially. I just see a huge opportunity for Villa's future and will be disappointed if we don't take it. 

Yeah but i'd imagine he will have spoken to Deano and the transfer team and already know what they want to do?

I'm certain there will be youngsters promoted as well.

I don't really care what we spend so much as what we get for it. But I think Ashley Preeces article doesn't really make much sense. Our emphasis has been on scouting since NSWE came in. Didn't stop us spending shitloads. It's not either / or. You always have to scout well.

And we can't state the aim is to get back to the elite and not spend to get there. Without Jack, this team has often struggled and needs some work. If we do struggle we will be without Jack too as he'll go.

It is true that 2 or 3 signings will make a big difference if their starters, but we need a bit more depth too. We'll see a few kids buff the squad out but we're a couple years away from depending on them.

I think we'll lose a few players like Taylor, Elmo, Heaton, Hourihane etc and promote Chukwuemeka, JPB, Barry, Kesler etc...

But we'll still need a few major players to make a step up. That might be north of 100m. That's my bet. But I don't know what we'll spend. Neither does Mr Preece.

53 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Reading the article, Purslow never mentions finances, he does say there will be less ins, as the last 2 seasons were team building windows. 

Id expect 2 big signings 30m+ first team players and a young squad player to develop.

Id guess 70-80m summer spend.

He also mentioned this seasons finish was disappointing, and they're ambitious and expect a European push next season. Couples with dean's comments a few weeks back I'd expect 2 statement signings to improve the first 11.

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

I have actually been told the same. If we don't make Europe he will go..which I don't think anyone can begrudge.

Seems absolutely obvious to me. He was sold a project based on Villa competing for the top 4 and European competition. If the club go all-out this window and we still fall short on the field, he might give it one more season after the next to try again. 

If we faff about with half measures this summer he’ll be off after the World Cup for sure - and who could blame him? 

Villa need at least three quality signings to improve on this season with a striker, playmaker and a DM a must although been very impressed with Marvellous who may be even better next season. FB is also an issue so Guilbert may be kept as cover.

Probably worth noting as well that you can almost count Sanson as effectively being part of any business we proceed to do as according to those involved they were already interested in him but capitalised on the financial turmoil in France to get him in earlier than anticipated in January.

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Then we will lose Jack. Next season we have to be in the mix for top 4 and finish no later than 6.

Jack's still here though, despite people saying he was going every summer and/or january for years. We won't be in the mix for top 4 next season, not at the business end of the season anyway, we will probably not finish top  either. We should be focusing on progressing and getting 8/10 points more than we did this year. Do that and we'll be pushing for a Europa league spot which would be absolutely incredible stuff seeing where we were not so very long ago.

Jack isn't stupid, if he wanted to go he'd have gone already.

• Like 2