Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You make it sound so simple 🤔

How? I know it will be hard. But this is the summer to go all in. We don't have to worry about relegation so we need to invest heavily to make our first 11 capable of beating anyone consistently. And then add some depth in weaker key areas such as defence.

If we "just" spend 70 mil on 2 players you will miss out on what is essentially 50 mil of European money. A big spend this year gets us into Europe and recovers that additional outlay. 

Would like Buendia and Olise in to complete the attacking mids/ winger options and then maybe a decent striker on loan to allow Davis a loan move. After that a big unit of a DM and left back cover would be great.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If Arsenal want Buendia they will get him. But I reckon they might be going for more proven players.

I'm not sure, I think the big question from him for both teams will be "Where will I play and am I first choice?" 

For Arsenal he'd be joining them in a position of strength, he'd be up against Pepe and Saka, maybe Smith-Rowe - he'd not be guaranteed starts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Blink 182 Reaction GIF

Typically speaking that is the boundary to champions league football. Only 3 out of the last 7 seasons didn't require at leas 70 points to be top 4. The historic Leicester title season (and our relegation sadly), this year and last year. I'm pretty confident in saying all 3 of those seasons were anomalies. In that this year there was barely a summer break and last season there was a mid-season break. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Typically speaking that is the boundary to champions league football. Only 3 out of the last 7 seasons didn't require at leas 70 points to be top 4. The historic Leicester title season (and our relegation sadly), this year and last year. I'm pretty confident in saying all 3 of those seasons were anomalies. In that this year there was barely a summer break and last season there was a mid-season break. 

If you hadn’t noticed there’s a little thing called FFP which prevents clubs going all in. We need quality now, not quantity. Maybe some players will be upgraded, but it will take another 2-3 summers before we will be close to be competing for top 6 regularly.

GK -

Martinez

Steer

Onodi?

CB - 

Mings 

Konsa

Hause 

Engels (sell/replace?)

LB -

Targett

? We must sign one

RB -

Cash

Guilbert

DM -

Luiz

Nakamba

CM - 

McGinn

Sanson 

Hourihane (sold? space for a new player?)

- Ramsey (hope we can strengthen enough so that we don’t have to play him as often, out on loan?)

- Chukwumueka (loan or bench option)

AM -

? We must sign an exceptional player, Barkley helped transform us at the start of the season. We don’t presently have anyone of sufficient quality to play as a proper 10 other than Jack (Traore?)

Jack?

LW -

Jack (or new if he goes to CAM)

El Ghazi

RW -

Traore

Trez (long term injury, we need another to compete/cover/replace Traore)

CF -

Watkins 

Wesley

Davis (I think we should loan or sell)

I think there is scope and a need for at least 3 signings. Much better if we can get 5, because the squad is not that strong and I really don’t think the kids are ready yet. Unless we already have a plan for January also…

We need to get the most valued kids out on loan and see how they develop and cope. The only youngster I could see making a decent contribution & impact throughout parts of the season is Chukwuemeka but I still think a loan is a good idea as he is so young.

I don’t rate Ramsey too highly at this point, don’t see what standout qualities he has other than energy & legs - I think we HAD to use him rather than wanting to… 

Again, if we are aiming for a much higher position in the league, we must strengthen and not rely on lesser players or youngsters too often…

- I think we can/should wait and see but we may need to bring in another keeper unless we deem one of the youngsters as a sufficient 3rd or even 2nd choice (should Steer get injured again.

- We need LB cover/competition. *

- We’ll need another CB if we sell Engels.

- We could do with extra strength & quality at DM or CM but I have a feeling the club is not looking to add there… I hope we do though…

- Unless we intend to play Jack at CAM, we must sign a new player here. Someone of exceptional quality. *

- We need at least one winger/WF, maybe two. Preferably with the ability to cover at CAM and/or CF at times… *

- There is even scope for a CF, depends on how Wes looks in preseason. Again, I think we should move on from Davis, he is not a goalscorer.

So I think if we only sign 2 or 3, we may well leave ourselves short for that top 8 or higher challenge…

Other teams are going to strengthen too and not stand still, the competition will only continue and increase… we mustn’t be complacent…

We shall see…

* (priorities imo)

2 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

If you hadn’t noticed there’s a little thing called FFP which prevents clubs going all in. We need quality now, not quantity. Maybe some players will be upgraded, but it will take another 2-3 summers before we will be close to be competing for top 6 regularly.

Then we will lose Jack and will be set back 5 years. 125 mil is enough of an outlay to get us where we need to be. The additional money through Europe will cover the extra outlay and ffp has been turned into a joke. 

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

A minute ago you were talking about finishing top 6 and now you're saying top 4. I have to ask the same question...where do one of the top 4 go? We'd have to get above Arsenal, Everton, Leeds, West Ham, Spurs, Leicester and one of Chelsea/Liverpool. Presumably those teams can spend money too. 

Maybe you don't mean it but the way you word it you make it sound easy, and also as if it's a sure thing and as if these teams just let us pass them because we spent an extra £50million on top of a more conservative spend. 

We can keep improving and we can be a surprise team next year, but it's going to be a massive challenge too.

• Like 2

Just now, Rolta said:

A minute ago you were talking about finishing top 6 and now you're saying top 4. I have to ask the same question...where do one of the top 4 go? We'd have to get above Arsenal, Everton, Leeds, West Ham, Spurs, Leicester and one of Chelsea/Liverpool. Presumably those teams can spend money too. 

Maybe you don't mean it but the way you word it you make it sound easy, and also as if it's a sure thing and as if these teams just let us pass them because we spent an extra £50million on top of a more conservative spend. 

We can keep improving and we can be a surprise team next year, but it's going to be a massive challenge too.

Challenging for top 4, at the minimum 6th. Is what I have been saying. You must have missed it.

We would have been close enough this year if jack had been fit. Add another 3 players who can get us an extra 0.2-0.3 ppg and we will be sitting pretty. And then make sure we don't fall off too heavily if one of our key players get injured like Jack, Targett, Mings etc. 

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If Arsenal want Buendia they will get him. But I reckon they might be going for more proven players.

I think the other thing to watch for that (and I think Percy mentioned it) is that we want our business done early. We could easily make an offer with a firm deadline for both parties well before Arsenal even try to make an official approach - likely because there looking at Ødegaard on a permanent and  who knows what Real Madrid will say

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure, I think the big question from him for both teams will be "Where will I play and am I first choice?" 

For Arsenal he'd be joining them in a position of strength, he'd be up against Pepe and Saka, maybe Smith-Rowe - he'd not be guaranteed starts.

also don't have Europe, so don't really need an expanded squad 

2 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

I hate reading articles where people put limitations on things(Purslow) . 

I mean why less transfers in(5) than last year? If the players and bargains are there we could easily get another 5 in(CDM, AMC, RW, LB, FWR?). 

This window could be like no other where so many cut price deals could happen. The French league seems to be teething with bargains especially. I just see a huge opportunity for Villa's future and will be disappointed if we don't take it. 

They have already said that if a player becomes available at the right price then we would take that opportunity ( or something like that, when we got sansom).

We are already ahead of the transfer game as he is already here, so that's one of our summer  signings done.

Can't really see more than 2 more coming who would go straight into the first team although would be pleasantly surprised if we got more than that.

Still think we need a decent lb cover, decent forward, decent dm, decent am, and at least 1 winger.

Will we buy 5 more players ? I would hope so as our 25 man squad will be shredded this summer.

We only had 23 last season so then take away Connor, Heaton, samatta, Taylor, elmo, klasnic, possibly Fred, engels, Davis and trez out for maybe the season and it's slim pickings again.

Obviously we can use players 21 or under and they won't count as part of the 25 but still, potentially down to between 14 and 18 players isn't great squad depth.

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Then we will lose Jack and will be set back 5 years. 125 mil is enough of an outlay to get us where we need to be. The additional money through Europe will cover the extra outlay and ffp has been turned into a joke. 

Set back to what and why 5 years?

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I've never said he was gone before now. And I don't think he will be gone because the owners know this and will go all out. All these claims that we are going to be smart and not spunk a wedge load is either a farce or we should just sell grealish now. 

Jack said this year the goal is 12th - 8th. So you really think enxt season he'd accept the same. Get real. He has established himself as one of the 5 best players in the prem. If we don't get him some real help and a real shot at winning both some individual and team trophies then he will go and no one should blame him. 

I really think Jack will still be here for a good few years to come.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1