Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

So now you’ll just make stuff up to make your point...? Ok champ.

It's a guess. But if you don't think losing jack puts us squarely in a relegation battle you're living in a fantasy world.

15 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

It's a guess. But if you don't think losing jack puts us squarely in a relegation battle you're living in a fantasy world.

Sure this passed season but in the theoretical world of him leaving next summer if we fail to make a European competition, we won’t be squarely back in a relegation battle. Unless all this summers signings turn out to be flops, we would most likely fall back to being a lower mid-table team if he left.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

Pereira from Baggies makes sense though would pay through the nose. Set pieces, high up in PL for shots on target and chances created for mids. Can be the player Barkley was supposed to be and keep Grealish on left where he has biggest goal/assist threat. 

Assume he lives in Midlands and we have Doug and Wesley Brazilian connection. 

He ticks the box of PL experienced player people want and would improve us and is probably gettable.

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

No I don’t believe it puts us in a relegation battle because I trust the club to sign the right players to keep us moving in the right direction.

You can’t replace Jack, not without spending similar money to replace, but if or when it happens, we will be in a better place to cope.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Sure this passed season but in the theoretical world of him leaving next summer if we fail to make a European competition, we won’t be squarely back in a relegation battle. Unless all this summers signings turn out to be flops, we would most likely fall back to being a lower mid-table team if he left.

Still being 14th if he left. Makes it so hard to progress. Top talent can look at the team right now and go. If I'm playing next to Jack we will both be better and make it easier for each other. Without him they will go I'm the lone star etc. I can't win here. Pointless. Or you end up with chancers like Richarlison or Felipe Anderson. 

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Pereira from Baggies makes sense though would pay through the nose. Set pieces, high up in PL for shots on target and chances created for mids. Can be the player Barkley was supposed to be and keep Grealish on left where he has biggest goal/assist threat. 

He ticks the box of PL experienced player people want and would improve us and is probably gettable.

He's very good, would love him here. Not much between him and Buendia. Very similar players.

I've read some comments on the Birmingham live website from Smith and Purslow and although I don't expect them to come and say I can't walk with all the cash I have to spend it is weighing me down......

It was more the comments that it's not going to be another big summer, that we don't need many players etc.....

I am kind of thinking the spending taps are being turned off...

That's ok as well, they have put so much money in it has all been a dream thus far. My worry was we would spend the next 125m (average between the two PL seasons) on a load of players to pad out the squad rather than on just a few high quality players.

Now I am thinking it will be a couple of 15-20 pound players and that's it. Disappointing but fine if it happens.

I'll just have to see how the next few months are going to pan out.

35 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Said it a few months ago that we can't keep spending lots of money as it's not sustainable. Seems like the noises coming out of Villa are along those lines.

TBH I thought after the first season back in the premier league they had spent as much as the club would be worth in the premier league, buying the club, transfer fees and clearing debts.

15 minutes ago, peterw said:

I don't read it that way at all and I think it's more or less what we all think. Yes, if we all sat down and looked for upgrades to the first 11 we could find them for the majority of positions - but that clearly isn't going to happen. The best teams are the more settled teams who only add 2 or 3 - maybe even less - upgrades per season. We've spoken on here in depth about where and who we'd like - mainly the where - and its noticeable that at most people suggest 3 AT MOST 4 positions. You can't go into every season looking for as many as 4 (or maybe even 3) upgrades as that could destabilise the team and suggests your previous recruitment wasn't good enough and so are wasting money, or your coaching wasn't good enough to get the best out of them.

We don't need the wholesale approach of two summers ago, or even the numbers we added to the first team last season. So, Smith and Purslow are right. 2 or 3 upgrades this summer and we will be in far healthier position than we are now. Add to that the fillers and we'll be ready to push on.

But its also true that the policy is that we will also have players in the club that will attract a sell-on fee in access of the outlay. That's just a sound business model to the point we become self-sufficient and is where most top clubs are in the UK. 

Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Said it a few months ago that we can't keep spending lots of money as it's not sustainable. Seems like the noises coming out of Villa are along those lines.

We also have the most promising bunch of youth players we've had in 20 years. We're not going to block their opportunities by spending £150 million each year. 

I expect 2 or 3 signings this summer and to be fair, Sanson probably counts as one as well. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

There for the taking as well.

Speaking to my well connected baggie mate, there's not much interest in Pereira - non of the big clubs fancy him. Leeds are interested but have other targets first.

Don't we identify a position we want/need to fill and have a top 3 targets and get the best we can, sure I read thats how it goes, probably always has for most clubs, I'd say it something like Buendia, Areaseta, Pereira but have a sneaking feeling we might be looking at Maddison too.

FWIW - My reading of the situation is that the noises coming out the club regarding transfer activity are similar to last year.  

Dampen expectations, and so we will be less likely to be overcharged, like we were in our first window back in the Premier League.

‘Less than last season’ comments tend to be more aimed at quantity of players rather than fees paid.

Maybe I’m being optimistic, but I’m expecting LB, ST and AM to come in, along with Guilbert returning.  The other Aaron Ramsey anyone ??

Davis and Wes out on loan, along with those with contracts ending to leave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

FWIW - My reading of the situation is that the noises coming out the club regarding transfer activity are similar to last year.  

Dampen expectations, and so we will be less likely to be overcharged, like we were in our first window back in the Premier League.

‘Less than last season’ comments tend to be more aimed at quantity of players rather than fees paid.

Thsts how i read it too, far fewer players but for more money. 

It came straight after him saying how ambitious we remained, that doesn't sound much like a reduction in outlay.

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

I've read some comments on the Birmingham live website from Smith and Purslow and although I don't expect them to come and say I can't walk with all the cash I have to spend it is weighing me down......

It was more the comments that it's not going to be another big summer, that we don't need many players etc.....

I am kind of thinking the spending taps are being turned off...

That's ok as well, they have put so much money in it has all been a dream thus far. My worry was we would spend the next 125m (average between the two PL seasons) on a load of players to pad out the squad rather than on just a few high quality players.

Now I am thinking it will be a couple of 15-20 pound players and that's it. Disappointing but fine if it happens.

I'll just have to see how the next few months are going to pan out.

I read it as fewer but more expensive players.

More £15m players won't really progress us at all - and would be disappointing if that happens 

Hoping for players costing £15m that cut it in the prem would be a major change of policy.  Also most of the youth players we are raving about are barely 18 - and history tells us only 1 or two will cut in the prem on a regular basis.

12 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I think if we spend in the summer as we hope - 3 starters (RW; LW/ACM;DCM), a strong back up 9 and 3 back ups (LB; CB; ACM/LW) - we could be in a good position to push on and challenge all but the 3 NW clubs and Chelski (this season's top 4).  That's if our recruitment is as strong as last summer.

It really depends upon NSWE ambitions, spend plans and timescales (and FFP - the exact current status of which I'm not sure I understand!).  

Without being harsh, we aren't signing 7 players. We only bought 4 last season, and loaned in Ross.

We've been told by Purslow himself that they're looking at a couple of signings. That may mean there are a couple of youth prospects signed as well, and maybe an expectation that some of our current youth can step up if needed. But it won't be 7 players that can be part of our matchday squad.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Without being harsh, we aren't signing 7 players. We only bought 4 last season, and loaned in Ross.

We've been told by Purslow himself that they're looking at a couple of signings. That may mean there are a couple of youth prospects signed as well, and maybe an expectation that some of our current youth can step up if needed. But it won't be 7 players that can be part of our matchday squad.

Yep, and we already signed Sanson for this summer (albeit 5 months early) and have signed a 13 year old youth player for £200k from Bristol Rovers.