Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

17 minutes ago, John said:

I agree he is quality, but I can't see him moving outside London, unless he sees it as being a step up from Palace. I doubt he would see a move to us as a significant step up yet (his mistake) and I doubt his Geography is on a par with Unsworth either, so he would be unlikely to guess that we are located somewhere south of Watford. 

He seems to agitate for a move on the verge of every window, so I guess that could be where his attitude comes into question. His age and his wage demands are against him. So its a no from me. I like the majority of us, would prefer us to use our money elsewhere.    

As I say I agree with you on the matter of signing him, don't think it would ever happen and wouldn't even necessarily want it to even in the hypothetical event it was offered. Purely just asking regarding how much stick he receives for the other stuff, you may be right re: possibly looking for moves each summer but in fairness in that case you'd expect Palace fans to take umbrage with that and as far as I know he's almost universally loved by their fan base and his own love for the club is never really called into question. Just think it's a strange one as much as I appreciate that he winds people up on the pitch. 

• Like 1

Try to avoid this as argument but it's relevant with Zaha. I play fantasy and generally do quite well. I rarely ever own him for good reason. Previous 2 seasons before one just gone were absolute garbage for goal involvement. This season slightly better 11 goals 4 assists but often flat track bully or started well early then complete drought. 

Is the Zaha love goldfish brain mentality because he scored against us in a Palace win recently?

Edited by Kiwivillan

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Fickle. 

Also I'd put Traore over Cash even though very happy with both

Agreed. I don't think cash has had a substantially better season than guilbert. He got the sane number of assists in more minutes in a more attacking and better team.

Guilbert averaged 3 tackles and 2 interceptions (right in line with his career statistics even slightly lower) a game. For cash 2.5 and 2.1. 

Whilst cash will continue to get better as he is only 23 and played full back for 2 full seasons. I don't think he is substantially better than guilbert. So hard to say he had a phenomenal season when he is at most a marginal upgrade on a player everyone said was crap. 

Whoscored avg match rating puts them at 6.89 for guilbert and 6.93 for cash. So again not at all a bug difference. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if we want to get better then its not bertie that we replace, we replace trez as the 2nd choice with a player who is good enough to demote bertie to 2nd choice and lay down the challenge to him to make sure he gets better next season (which i think will happen)

Absolutely.

I wouldn't write Bertie off at all - I think he has been inconsistent and definitely has significant room for improvement but has shown some insane skill at times (his goal against West Brom is probably my favourite of the season).  It is his first season back in the PL and he has done well on that basis but we absolutely need to bring in someone strong at RW to force him to fight for his place if we are going to progress.

We need 8 quality players fighting for those front 4 spaces and at the minute we have two are excellent players - Jack and Ollie - and Bertie who is decent and I am hoping can progress/grow to be excellent and quite a few gaps imho??

For me, if we bought in Rashica, Buendia/Brooks, Olise and one of Tammy or Eduoard that would give us "Top Six" options and a fantastic array of attacking talent that would allow rotation/injury cover/an exciting bench and . 

I guess this also depends upon how quick they want to progress JPB and maybe Chuckie.  I see the latter as probably too young to do anything more than be involved in the first team training and bench cover when we have injuries.  I would imagine JPB would be better served by a season out on loan getting regular game time?

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if we want to get better then its not bertie that we replace, we replace trez as the 2nd choice with a player who is good enough to demote bertie to 2nd choice and lay down the challenge to him to make sure he gets better next season (which i think will happen)

Its exactly this. If we are to improve the squad sustainably, incremental progress is the way to go. Pick a position, replace the backup (or third choice) with someone good enough to go straight into the first team, demoting the current incumbent to 2nd choice. If the (now) second choice raises his game and gets back in the team - happy days!, if not we have someone as backup who is an improvement on our current back up. The balance and atmosphere of the squad is so important, I'm sure Dean and the backroom team will be trying to pick players not just on ability and track record but on work rate and attitude as well, so a few incremental improvements will ensure steady sustainable progress. We don't ever want to be in a position where we have to basically buy a full new squad again.

• Like 4

The problem with the transfer market is that there are only around 15 or so clubs globally that can spend really big, so you'll get massive transfer fees for elite talent, but for that next group of players (high level talent, but not quite elite) there is a market cap right now of around £35-40M.  Thus there really wont be much of an appreciation of Buendia's market value unless he becomes a truly elite player. So essentially when you buy a player like Buendia at the quoted rate - you are buying him for the here and now.        

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t know how anyone cannot love Bertie, he’s irresistible 🤣

Sublime skills, technical ability & flair 👌

I love some of his goals so much. You watch the opposition defence after and they can't understand how he's scored

39 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Agreed. I don't think cash has had a substantially better season than guilbert. He got the sane number of assists in more minutes in a more attacking and better team.

Guilbert averaged 3 tackles and 2 interceptions (right in line with his career statistics even slightly lower) a game. For cash 2.5 and 2.1. 

Whilst cash will continue to get better as he is only 23 and played full back for 2 full seasons. I don't think he is substantially better than guilbert. So hard to say he had a phenomenal season when he is at most a marginal upgrade on a player everyone said was crap. 

Whoscored avg match rating puts them at 6.89 for guilbert and 6.93 for cash. So again not at all a bug difference. 

I like Guilbert and thought it was madness to loan him out and keep Elmo.

However, I do think Cash has been a really solid acquisition and an upgrade on both.  Neutral pundits have mentioned him when discussing options for the England right back position (and that is a position where England have a large number of options).  He is also young and relatively new into the right back role.

However, he has the advantage over Guilbert of playing in the country he has played in for all of his life and I do think Guilbert can develop as well.  I would definitely be happy with the two of them as our RB options going in to next season with Kessler floating around as cover.

As for the original argument as to whether Cash or Traore have made a better start, I would plump for Cash, but I think (1) it is generally easier for defenders to settle in, especially when the rest of the defence has looked so good; and (2) Bertie has had to come back to the UK and acclimatise. 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I love some of his goals so much. You watch the opposition defence after and they can't understand how he's scored

He is so entertaining… makes me enjoy watching Villa even more.

Obviously Jack is amazing but this kid is something different… the flashes of brilliance are just thrilling.

And he doesn’t give a shit 🤣 He’s not intimidated by any player or opposition, he’ll gladly flick the ball over their heads or produce a moment of magic and leave them bamboozled… come on man, it’s beautiful! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 3