Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

28 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

How? I know it will be hard. But this is the summer to go all in. We don't have to worry about relegation so we need to invest heavily to make our first 11 capable of beating anyone consistently. And then add some depth in weaker key areas such as defence.

If we "just" spend 70 mil on 2 players you will miss out on what is essentially 50 mil of European money. A big spend this year gets us into Europe and recovers that additional outlay. 

Because its not easy to get players across the line. Except Barkley who was loaned for a reason but we arent even near the established players market yet 

5 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Set back to what and why 5 years?

5 years is a guess. But we have seen the difference between how good we are with him and how poor we are without him. If that's any indication we will probably fall to 14th or so even with the money we get to replace him.

Overall players will be less likely to join us and even with good spending it is hard to crack the top 6. Look how long it took west ham. 

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate I get your points, and I'm eager to take advantage of our position as well BUT

Jack is 1 player, if him going meant the whole team fell to shite after years of investment, questions would need to be asked.

There are teams without Jack doing ok. He is undoubtedly a gamechanger for us, but if everyone else we've bought can't make a decent team it will have been a deeper failure.

Also, we keep seeming to forget that he wouldn't be going for free, and we aren't owned by Mike Ashley.

This is essentially what I was going to say. @MotoMkali, you seem to be massively underestimating what the owners are building. It's bigger than 1 man and in your theoretical world of Jack leaving if we don't hit European competition next year, we would be getting a massively amount of money for him. So as sad as that day would be, it would ultimately be a positive in the long run

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leicester, Tottenham are next season's top 7. We'll be fighting with Everton, West Ham, and Leeds for 8th. 

Depending on how Tottenhams summer goes, one of us could potentially. sneak in past them IMO.

Transition and all?

Although if they get a great manager it's less likely.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The term may not be the best; in particular, I'd like the striker to be good enough that switching to two up top is a real option that Smith would consider from time to time.

But rightly or wrongly I don't think we're going to be buying players with the expectation that Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, McGinn, Grealish or Watkins will drop out of the side.

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

Precisely......There are no such thing as "Back Up" players.....They are players who have not quite made the first team, but are in reserve.

Every player targeted, should in theory be for the first team, back ups are the slippage from the first team.

I disagree Tro, as HanoiVillan says above we are not in a position to buy first team starters all over the pitch and certainly not in our back 5 and nor can we buy real competitors for some players without European competition, which allows for more rotation and an increased opportunity for game time.  I think there are certain positions, like LB and CB (if Engels goes) where we need to buy back up/cover/younger developmental players that we would want to develop into challengers.  However, there are other positions, like DCM, ACM/LW (depending where Jack is to play) and RW where we should aim for starters and possibly a "9" where we could, as HanoiVilla, look for someone that would make two up top a real option.  I think this is easier in the attacking positions as rotation is easier there and, typically, substitutions, other than for injury or fatigue, are of attacking/creative players.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Depending on how Tottenhams summer goes, one of us could potentially. sneak in past them IMO.

Transition and all?

That's top 7 then not top 6. I just don't think we're good enough to maintain a challenge against those clubs. We're probably about 3 seasons of consolidation away.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

Not saying we will finish above them next season but I don't see Leicester as a lock in as one of the top six or seven clubs, they're a team that are a bad managerial or bad transfer window away from dropping down the table and finding it hard to get back. I think they're a team that it's possible to overtake in the coming seasons.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Transition and all?

I think if we spend in the summer as we hope - 3 starters (RW; LW/ACM;DCM), a strong back up 9 and 3 back ups (LB; CB; ACM/LW) - we could be in a good position to push on and challenge all but the 3 NW clubs and Chelski (this season's top 4).  That's if our recruitment is as strong as last summer.

It really depends upon NSWE ambitions, spend plans and timescales (and FFP - the exact current status of which I'm not sure I understand!).  

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Not saying we will finish above them next season but I don't see Leicester as a lock in as one of the top six or seven clubs, they're a team that are a bad managerial or bad transfer window away from dropping down the table and finding it hard to get back. I think they're a team that it's possible to overtake in the coming seasons.

We finished eleven points behind them this season, I don't think it's a statement that represents the case as better than it really is to say that if Grealish had have stayed fit then there wouldn't have been much between the two sides points wise after 38 games. Certainly I feel that Greaiish is that good that we would have been close to ten or so points better off.

Edited by useless

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He is

But he's also mardy, wouldn't be cheap with little resale value 

The worry would be that his face wouldn't fit and we could do better elsewhere 

Why do you say he is mardy?

I get the little resale value and I get that his face might not fit, although I have never heard any of his palace colleagues bad mouth him??

I am not saying that we should sign him but I do think he gives guaranteed top end PL ability/creativity for a relatively cheap price and, at 29, probably has a good three or four years left.

I don't get all of the hate for him - is it just the same as fans at other clubs may feel about our Jack or have I missed something? 

Just now, barry'sboots said:

Why do you say he is mardy?

I get the little resale value and I get that his face might not fit, although I have never heard any of his palace colleagues bad mouth him??

I am not saying that we should sign him but I do think he gives guaranteed top end PL ability/creativity for a relatively cheap price and, at 29, probably has a good three or four years left.

I don't get all of the hate for him - is it just the same as fans at other clubs may feel about our Jack or have I missed something? 

He's got a few years more  of being kicked up and down the pitch in him than jack

He never looks happy to me, maybe it's because he's at Palace who are a poor side attacking wise, maybe it's lack of quality around him but whereas Jack looks angry and seems one of the whiniest players in the league who constantly berates refs because he has that fire in his belly at times to me Zaha looks deflated and slumped, different body language between the 2

46 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Set back to what and why 5 years?

5 years ago this summer we were relegated in one of the worst efforts the PL has ever seen. 5 years before next summer we finished in the bottom half of the Championship.

I very much hope we aren't going to be in these situations if/when Jack leaves, and to be honest if we are we have bigger problems.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

5 years ago this summer we were relegated in one of the worst efforts the PL has ever seen. 5 years before next summer we finished in the bottom half of the Championship.

I very much hope we aren't going to be in these situations if/when Jack leaves, and to be honest if we are we have bigger problems.

Misinterpreting what I said. If we lose Jack it will be at least another 5 years before we get to Europe or maybe never.