Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Aaron Hickey has been mentioned a few times… not settled at Bologna?

A young, exciting LB prospect would be a good move. Someone who could eventually succeed Targett.

There is a 17 year old lad, Seb Revan. Just won the FA Youth Cup. Mainly a left back, but can play across the back line I'm told.
Local lad too.

Just a suggestion 😉

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

There is a 17 year old lad, Seb Revan. Just won the FA Youth Cup. Mainly a left back, but can play across the back line I'm told.
Local lad too.

Just a suggestion 😉

He said young.  Not pre-pubescent.

There are some really exciting prospects in the U-18s but they are U-18 and some are 16/17.  These guys are, on the whole, not yet ready to be first choice back up to an aspiring Top 8 PL side.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paulie said:

this means nothing to me FWIW.  Might be the truth but they aren’t going to come out and say they have a 100-125m budget, would just hurt them in negotiations.

question asks GIF

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

He said young.  Not pre-pubescent.

There are some really exciting prospects in the U-18s but they are U-18 and some are 16/17.  These guys are, on the whole, not yet ready to be first choice back up to an aspiring Top 8 PL side.

I think this is why we'll keep Guilbert around next season - as he can cover RB and LB.
Get the kids out on loan, let them develop, and save a fortune. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Local lad too.

Just a suggestion 😉

I watched him, he impressed me.

It’s just hard to judge and the same goes for Kesler. These lads really need to go out on loan and play “proper men’s football” to see what they’re made of and how they develop.

It’s easy to overrate young players and throw them in too soon but people more knowledgable than us are, thankfully, going to make those reasoned and informed decisions.

During the cup final, it just seemed like we had a much superior team and way of playing so it was easier for other players. E.g. Kesler almost plays as a RW rather than a RB but if he was thrown into a PL game it would probably be a shock to the system and he would struggle with the pressure and added defensive responsibilities… it’s a massive step up…

Cash is a great player but quite often he has had a lot of work to do defensively and can be overwhelmed but he sticks to the task well and doesn’t give in - an excellent signing. With an improved team and better ball retention he could focus a bit more on his attacking game (which is also very good).

I just don’t think think the kids are ready, especially if we want to be a top 8 or top 6 team…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I didn’t write him off, I said I wanted a better player to replace him as a starter. Also Matt Targett isn’t a different player from the season before he is just more effective.

That’s some impressive mental gymnastics right there

"A big emphasis on scouting/recruitment behind-the-scenes"

What an absolutely nothing statement from Preece that is. Does it even actually mean anything? What even is recruitment behind the scenes? As opposed to recruitment in front of the scene?

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I think he's right though, one big signing in an attacking sense. Buendia/Pereira and then sub 20mil signings for the other forward and DMC. Plus a couple more younger players LB cover and maybe a CB or another forward.

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Then we will lose Jack. Next season we have to be in the mix for top 4 and finish no later than 6.

I wouldn't agree there, if we make top 6 and Europa League Jack will probably stay, if we don't then he might see he'll be 28 at best before he plays European football and might see next summer as the right time to go. 

• Like 1

Quality not quantity. 

DM and winger / creative is all that's required. 

We don't need to buy 10 million pound "bodies" any more. That's what the youth system is for.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think he's right though, one big signing in an attacking sense. Buendia/Pereira and then sub 20mil signings for the other forward and DMC. Plus a couple more younger players LB cover and maybe a CB or another forward.

Look at the Sanson deal. I imagine long term targets already identified could come in at reduced fees given the struggles of many clubs. Going to be a very interesting summer. Big summer for Lange and his team. 

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Look at the Sanson deal. I imagine long term targets already identified could come in at reduced fees given the struggles of many clubs. Going to be a very interesting summer. Big summer for Lange and his team. 

Agreed, for example if we sign Buendia/Pereira for say 35m, then 14m on another defensive midfielder and 12m and 8m on a couple of younger players in a new forward and a left back. We get some fees for players leaving and we're spending like 65m and wage bill is probably flat. 

I think what Ash was trying to say is that we've got a fully up and running recruitment department who have been working on identification of very good value players akin to a Buendia, Mahrez, Kante level of initial fee (basically nothing) who become 10x their value in a couple of seasons. So expect to see a couple of players arrive for potentially very small fees as the first output from this recruitment department.