Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

there's definitely going to be some interesting conversations with the owners in the summer. every one of the starting 11 yesterday (plus 5/9 of the bench) was paid for by the current owners and aquired by the current manager (with the exception of mcginn). we can't say we're still rebuilding because i'd say that's been pretty much built...just not well enough.

i appreciate there has been an element of quantity over quality, certainly with the first summer window that we had; but not getting another striker is unforgivable. and whilst i think there is a place in the squad for luxury players like traore, he's not the type of player we need right now. we needed someone who does the business consistently, not once every 3/4 games. lange/smith got that one wrong IMO.

i'd like to be a fly on the wall when smith goes to purslow + the owners saying "alright wes/naseef, you know all that money you spent on players i said were mustard? turns out they aint...so i need about 5 or 6 new ones please"

yesterday's midfield cost the owners about 30m...and we're saying they're not good enough

yesterday's 2 wingers cost a combined 30m, and they're also not good enough

plus we need a new CF

and a new LB as taylor is leaving in the summer

if after signing all these, they still don't work out, serious questions will be asked of the recruitment team if they haven't been already.

1 minute ago, commander said:

totally agree. The midfield and wide mean are so unbelievably weak. Get a big strong presence in DCM and we'd instantly be a beter team

Would help when defending and when we don't have the ball (as long as he's mobile and intelligent enough) but we would still have the same issues we have now when we have the ball and when attacking.

Apart from Grealish we have no creativity and we are a one tempo team that lacks pace (and intelligence) going forward. 

I'm all for getting a different type of CM in and going with a 6-8-8 formation in midfield, but we badly need a major upgrade on RW if we want to be a team that has the ball more and are on the front foot.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

there's definitely going to be some interesting conversations with the owners in the summer. every one of the starting 11 yesterday (plus 5/9 of the bench) was paid for by the current owners and aquired by the current manager (with the exception of mcginn). we can't say we're still rebuilding because i'd say that's been pretty much built...just not well enough.

i appreciate there has been an element of quantity over quality, certainly with the first summer window that we had; but not getting another striker is unforgivable. and whilst i think there is a place in the squad for luxury players like traore, he's not the type of player we need right now. we needed someone who does the business consistently, not once every 3/4 games. lange/smith got that one wrong IMO.

i'd like to be a fly on the wall when smith goes to purslow + the owners saying "alright wes/naseef, you know all that money you spent on players i said were mustard? turns out they aint...so i need about 5 or 6 new ones please"

yesterday's midfield cost the owners about 30m...and we're saying they're not good enough

plus we need a new CF

if after signing all these, they still don't work out, serious questions will be asked of the recruitment team if they haven't been already.

It's an interesting debate for sure.

Players are a 'means to an end' there should be no room for sentiment.

Players may struggle for a season and then improve the next, if they don't then they need to be benched or sold.

Some of the players were the best we could get with the funds available and some have worked and others not so much.

Building a squad and first team should be constantly evolving and hopefully improving, surely the owners realise this. Hopefully Smith does too, but he obviously has his favourites and therefore is sentimental which I'd argue is detrimental and holds us back.

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Yesterday Liverpool brought on Thiago (£25m) and Mane (£34m), and left Oxlade-Chamberlain (£35m) and Naby Keita (£53m) on the bench.

Virgil van Dijk (£75m) was out injured.

We've got pretty much what we paid for so far, and attracted players of a level I would have expected for where we're at as a club.

Whether Smith is playing the right system for the players currently at his disposal is a more pertinent question for me.

Think that’s worth noting. We are exactly where we should be right now in terms of squad cost. 

0F2C85AB-F189-401A-AC20-57A687AE984E.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

plus we need a new CF

For the level we were at when we recruited these players I think you have to say it’s been built really well and now it’s time to hopefully move on to the next phase of the rebuild.

I imagine we are looking at a ten year rebuild, not a two year rebuild. 

• Like 2

Some on here think someone like Saint Maximn wouldn't be good enough for us?!:lol:

He's come on and within five minutes turned a 0-1 into 2-1 and Burnley are terrified of him everytime he picks up the ball.

A level above Trez and AEG and we desperately need that type in our first 11 next season.

• Like 3

Saint Maximim would cost a shed load - would love it, but surely will be near £50 mill, he's worth more than that to NUFC too. But can deffo see him leaving this summer, player won't be hanging around there another season. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Some on here think someone like Saint Maximn wouldn't be good enough for us?!:lol:

He's come on and within five minutes turned a 0-1 into 2-1 and Burnley are terrified of him everytime he picks up the ball.

A level above Trez and AEG and we desperately need that type in our first 11 next season.

Certainly good enough, but far too expensive unless Newcastle are relegated which sadly looks unlikely.

We spent about the same on Traoré as Newcastle did on Saint-Maximin and Leeds did on Raphinha. All from Ligue 1 in France and withing a year of each other.

would happily have swapped Traore for either of those 2

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Saint Maximim would cost a shed load - would love it, but surely will be near £50 mill, he's worth more than that to NUFC too. But can deffo see him leaving this summer, player won't be hanging around there another season. 

If or when they have the Saudi takeover going through there'll be no chance of signing their best players. As you say £50m minimum is what he would cost. He originally cost them £17m from France. Ligue 1 is in dire straits we can pick up some excellent players for 50% off. New year sales in June, July, August??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

St. Maximin just hauled Newcastle a huge win.

See why @Vive_La_Villa is a huge fan.

I actually wanted to watch this game to see him play but was playing footy. 

I know you shouldn’t focus too much on YouTube videos but check his video’s out.  The guys a baller!  Can’t believe they got him for 17 million!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Kin hell Lingard scores again. This is what Barkley should have been doing. We should look at getting someone similar in next season to give us that experience and knowledge.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Wouldn't mind Robinson from Fulham as competition for Target.

He’s very good but reportedly on a 50k or 60k a week wage. If Brentford fail to get up this year, I think we’ll look at Henry to be honest. Smith has worked with him at two clubs already.

Alternatively,  Lee Buchanan at Derby is looking useful at a young age.  I do like Greg Taylor at Celtic also.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

plus we need a new CF

I don't agree with this I'm afraid. After promotion we had to rebuild the squad; but you can't go out and buy world class players from the off. We had nothing to offer them other than a relegation battle.

We signed some good young players in our first Summer back in the PL; the majority of which have improved and increased in value.

Last Summer we added some quality into the side in Watkins & Martinez for some serious money. Cash & Traore were cheaper and were effectively bought in the same way we bought players last Summer; Cash has performed well and Traore has been hit and miss but deserves a second season.

This Summer we can now look to begin replacing players in the weakest areas as well as improving our squad depth; we now have slightly more pulling power as a settled PL team. 

This was always the plan; if we replace a player we can sell them for more than we bought them for. It's how a rebuild works when handled in the right way.

• Like 1