Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

On 11/04/2021 at 03:11, lexicon said:

[Daryl Dike] doesn't look anywhere near good enough, for me. 

Bigger clubs than we will be in for him—that's for sure. He was made for the Premier League. I, for one, would love to have him here.

The Keinan Davis comparisons may have seemed apt two months ago when people were trying to get their head round what kind of player he is, but anymore there's just no comparison. One literally does not score and the other finds a way to put the ball into the back of the net. The focus on Dike's physical attributes also diminishes his skill. The boy can play. He had his worst game for Barnsley this weekend against 'Boro and still managed to score. He went from nowhere (college soccer) to MLS without a long bedding-in period and made the transition to the Championship in roughly 45 minutes. He might take a little longer to adjust to the Premier League, but he will adjust and prove his value.

39 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Bigger clubs than we will be in for him—that's for sure. He was made for the Premier League. I, for one, would love to have him here.

The Keinan Davis comparisons may have seemed apt two months ago when people were trying to get their head round what kind of player he is, but anymore there's just no comparison. One literally does not score and the other finds a way to put the ball into the back of the net. The focus on Dike's physical attributes also diminishes his skill. The boy can play. He had his worst game for Barnsley this weekend against 'Boro and still managed to score. He went from nowhere (college soccer) to MLS without a long bedding-in period and made the transition to the Championship in roughly 45 minutes. He might take a little longer to adjust to the Premier League, but he will adjust and prove his value.

I genuinely don't see it - his technical ability is well under what I think it needs to be.

The three or four times I've seen Dike he's looked good, I think he's more direct and agressive than Davis, and obviously has shown a better knack for scoring goals, and he's doing it in a Barnsley team who if you watch them play don't actually look that good, it's pretty much Dike's goals that has elevated them to their current heights. Also worth remembering that he's still only 20 years old.

Presuming that we're not going to be looking to replace Watkins as the starting centre-forward, and are therefore unlikely to be looking to spend £40m plus on a player to come straight into the first team then I think it will be someone with a similar profile to Dike that we go for.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Ikone from Lille or Neres at Ajax to play on Villa’s RW next season. Saint-Maximin  to play on the left. Merino into CM. Grealish to play at No.10. Circa £100m outlay, walk into the European places!

I might have been bleating about him all season. Get his boy Bamba in too and we'll have gone from weak wingers to absolute ballers. Still need a couple of solid CM/DM types with high energy, pressing and passing ability.

Think the top clubs in France who make the CL, PSG (obviously), Lille, Monaco or Lyon will have money enough to keep their players. And those players might rather stay where they are or move to other clubs in the CL.

Some quality players at those clubs thou

I wonder if Madueke is someone we're looking at, nine goals and eight assists for PSV, England U21 international so would fit in with the profile of a young player that's looking to get into the national team, can also play in all of the attacking positions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Ikone from Lille or Neres at Ajax to play on Villa’s RW next season. Saint-Maximin  to play on the left. Merino into CM. Grealish to play at No.10. Circa £100m outlay, walk into the European places!

Neres - 3 goals 3 assists this season 
Ikone- 4 goals 3 assists

Not really upgrades 

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Neres - 3 goals 3 assists this season 
Ikone- 4 goals 3 assists

Not really upgrades 

If we are going by goals and assists then we could skip straight to the very top draw and get Mikel Oyarzabal 😂😂

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If we are going by goals and assists then we could skip straight to the very top draw and get Mikel Oyarzabal 😂😂

But 3 goals and 3 assists in the dutch league. i could get that 

25 years ago this thread would’ve been exciting for me as I’d have known most of the players we were suggesting, now I literally do not know 95% of the players that get suggested.

Maybe I need to get back into Football Manager. 

2 hours ago, useless said:

The three or four times I've seen Dike he's looked good, I think he's more direct and agressive than Davis, and obviously has shown a better knack for scoring goals, and he's doing it in a Barnsley team who if you watch them play don't actually look that good, it's pretty much Dike's goals that has elevated them to their current heights. Also worth remembering that he's still only 20 years old.

Presuming that we're not going to be looking to replace Watkins as the starting centre-forward, and are therefore unlikely to be looking to spend £40m plus on a player to come straight into the first team then I think it will be someone with a similar profile to Dike that we go for.

Guy Whittingham & Rudy Gestede says Hi.

I haven't seen him play to be fair, but goals "for" are just a start, its HOW they score them, thats key and when they score them, e.g scoring a goal a game is an impressive sequence, scoring many in a game and then going on a drought is not so good, scoring loads of penaties is equally misleading......scouting a striker, Holds no equal IMO.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Guy Whittingham & Rudy Gestede says Hi.

I haven't seen him play to be fair, but goals "for" are just a start, its HOW they score them, thats key and when they score them, e.g scoring a goal a game is an impressive sequence, scoring many in a game and then going on a drought is not so good, scoring loads of penaties is equally misleading......scouting a striker, Holds no equal IMO.

Here's a goal to start with. And how!

I remember when we were being linked to Watkins some were against it because of other championship strikers that haven't done well in the premier league. But if you'd have seen Watkins play it was obvious that he had a very good chance of succeeding in the promised land because his all round game was so cold, and I feel similarly about Dike, albeit I haven't as much as him as I'd seen of Watkins.

He's still raw, but has age on his side, such is his potential and reputation that if we don't sign him then he will probably end up at another big club.