Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Beastmix said:

It's not likely they'll BOTH get those numbers, playing at the same time. It's not really how it works, is it?

...and to address the 'both players need to start' comments, I'm just of the belief you can't be shoe-horning players into a starting XI just because they're new. If we play 4-4-2, then fine, but if we play the same system as last year, rotation would be better IMO. On the other hand, it would allow us to take one off mid-game to change up the formation, which I do see the positives of too.

Withe scored 20 Shaw 19 in 81 I believe.  I think the formation will adapt at the season goes along though. 

Edited by PaulC

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Smith: "Watkins hasn't played wide for couple of years. I didn't bring him in to play there. He scored 26 goals for Brentford playing as a centre-forward in the Championship & came to us & got 16 goals also as a centre-forward - so no, I don't envisage him out there."

Good. And so he shouldn't be. Let him fight it out with Ings for the forward spot and bring in a quality left sided forward.

Still play Ings and Watkins in a front three.  Playing Watkins out wide and in a front three can be different.  Playing like Villa front three last season of 2 wingers and a striker, I agree is a no by Smiths quote but playing like Liverpool front three wouldn’t be playing out wide and not ruled out by Smith.  Plus Smith talked about playing with 3, 2 or 1 upfront as options.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think people are getting too caught up in the JPB hype here. The guy barely has any minutes of senior PL football, it's way too soon to compare him to players who have been somewhat successful in this league. 

Reminded of last season when people wanted to ship Guilbert out because they thought he'd only get in the way of Kesler's progress next season. When right now he's on loan at a league 2 team, still a bit away from making our first team.

Just, temper your expectations for players who've basically haven't even played any senior football.

I'm comparing him to Cantwell. And I was agreeing with the poster who said we shouldn't go for Cantwell especially at the alleged price. Nothing to temper.

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Withe scored 20 Shaw 19 in 81 I believe.  I think the formation will adapt at the season goes along though. 

Yeah, for sure. What I'm saying is though, when you take Watkins' goal tally from last season and add an extra player into his position, he's gonna have to share some of those goals with Ings. It won't just be him in the box anymore.

Nonetheless, as long as one of them is sticking the ball in the onion bag, it's all gravy!

Christ. Still reading about the likes of Cantwell I can see there's still nothing to lift that flat feeling.

Speaking of such, and sorry to even mention this here, but, this business about JG being offered to Man United essentially confirms the brokenness of the game, where we hoped our God-like leader and fellow Villa fan might have been above the feeling of: "Anywhere but Villa." Makes me sick.

1 hour ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

“Martinez is one of the best keepers in the league”

25% of Villa fans: “Yeah but can he play as a DM, tho, bro?”

Or chatting about positions using only shirt numbers...."He's good, but mainly as a 1. If he could bring in a bit of 13 then he'd be more solid."

34 minutes ago, Killeen30 said:

Hasn’t the Alvarez link gone quiet though? 

it’s all well and good saying we’d break Roma’s arm for 17 million for El Ghazi. Although that gets you very little these days. Unless we unearth a Leicester type gem, although what are the actual chances of that.

Assume Alvarez was option if we didn't get Bailey. The way Traore was when we couldn't get Rashica. They have 3 targets per position it feels like. We had Buendia and needed one more attacking player, Smith Rowe > Bailey > Alvarez seemed to be the order.

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Still play Ings and Watkins in a front three.  Playing Watkins out wide and in a front three can be different.  Playing like Villa front three last season of 2 wingers and a striker, I agree is a no by Smiths quote but playing like Liverpool front three wouldn’t be playing out wide and not ruled out by Smith.  Plus Smith talked about playing with 3, 2 or 1 upfront as options.

If we line up  Watkins Ings Bailey in a game, this doesn't mean he's playing wide. Ings will drop deep so will be playing behind a front two of Watkins and Baily in a bit of a false 9 role.

But Smith told Sky Sports: "Watkins hasn't played wide for a couple of years. I didn't bring him in to play there. He scored 26 goals for Brentford playing as a centre-forward in the Championship and came to us and got 16 goals also as a centre-forward - so no, I don't envisage him out there."

So this is still accurate when the CF is a false 9 type player / player who drops deep like Ings

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Is he a DM tho? he plays more like an 8

I would say he is definitely what we are after. I would say that Doucoure also looks very good and would be cheaper (but less experienced and never played in the UK). Doucoure is precisely the kind of player I expected our recruitment team to pick up - lesser known younger players with higher ceiling on ability and talent. He looks like he could be the £30-60m player of the future rather than Anguissa being the finished article and not too much value growth?

However as we have the money Anguissa is less risky? Can we have both please?

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we line up  Watkins Ings Bailey in a game, this doesn't mean he's playing wide. Ings will drop deep so will be playing behind a front two of Watkins and Baily in a bit of a false 9 role.

Completely agree and was the point I was trying to get across… badly

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Christ. Still reading about the likes of Cantwell I can see there's still nothing to lift that flat feeling.

Speaking of such, and sorry to even mention this here, but, this business about JG being offered to Man United essentially confirms the brokenness of the game, where we hoped our God-like leader and fellow Villa fan might have been above the feeling of: "Anywhere but Villa." Makes me sick.

I don't think we will go for Cantwell. Norwich are asking silly prices and I think we are looking elsewhere.

We are miles away from the top 4 but we have the chance to establish ourselves firmly in the 6-10th area of the league. I would be very happy with that after the years of shite I have been subjected to at B6.

We seem to be freaking out that we havent completed our business yet with 20ish days left to do so.

At christmas, my wife finishes her shopping late november, then has nothing to do until the 25th, so ends up buying more, unnecessary tat that we dont need, further hatming the families FFP.

Take your time and get exactly what you asked for, Johan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

It’s us and Spurs in for JWP apparently. 

Spurs will definitely have pull, but I think we can edge it, based on the " feel " around the club.

Problem is, who get's dropped for JWP?

I also genuinely don't know who plays CM for Spurs, aside from Ndombele.

48 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Hey - come on - instrumental in our promotion and keeping us up and then swells the coffers by £100m.......we've done worse deals !

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I would say he is definitely what we are after. I would say that Doucoure also looks very good and would be cheaper (but less experienced and never played in the UK). Doucoure is precisely the kind of player I expected our recruitment team to pick up - lesser known younger players with higher ceiling on ability and talent. He looks like he could be the £30-60m player of the future rather than Anguissa being the finished article and not too much value growth?

However as we have the money Anguissa is less risky? Can we have both please?

Totally agree. £40m on these 2 is much better than a similar amount for JWP.