Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, allani said:

More talented players who are more used to playing international matches when they get called up every month or so to play with people they've not played with for 5 or 6 weeks.  So they will be more used to making friendships / partnerships at short notice.  Also in 19/20 we were so bereft of talent that we were relying on every signing pretty much going into the starting line up.  This season we are starting at a very different point.  So if McGinn (for example) needs to play the first 5 or 6 matches and then get subbed to bring on a new CM until they get up to speed - that isn't the worst position in the world to be in.  I'd rather that scenario than keep hold of Connor (for example) because we don't want to disrupt things (although that slightly ignores the fact that Connor wasn't here last season anyway).

That’s pretty hollow IMO - the standard in the Prem vs international is chalk and cheese - you can see players aren’t used to playing together regardless of talent.

The only exception are maybe teams like Belgium where the squad has been around for a long long time with largely the same core group. 

Additionally, it doesn’t touch on culture - what is Villa’s DNA if half the match day squad has only been there for 3 months?? The culture changes, becomes transient and undoes a lot of the work from the past 2 years. I don’t think any of us want that.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Players like Ings and Watkins don't join clubs like ours to rotate. 

I understand with Ings but Watkins came from the Championship and was looking for a chance to play in the PL. I can't imagine he had the profile at the time to be demanding a starting role in every game

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I don't understand why so many people are trying to cram Watkins and Ings into the same starting line up. If we go our usual 'one up top' formation, we simply rotate them as starters (or select, based on opposition weaknesses), keeping them fresh and providing us with a plan b when games aren't going too well.

Just because you sign a player, doesn't mean they need to go straight into the starting XI every week, irrespective of how much they cost to buy. Top clubs have benches where every single player on it is worth £20m~30m minimum.

I think it's because 1 does not deserve to be benched, is crucial to our pressing game, works his bollox off and scored an admirable amount of goals, with little to no support. He deserves to have the chance to continue/improve in a team with a hot supply line. He is our frontline talisman, now.

Ings is a lethal and proven goalscorer, and I doubt he came here to sit on the bench. If he is happy to do so then fine, otherwise, i'd be loath to drop Ollie for anybody.

If there is some way we could accommodate both, our goal threat increases massively.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We have replaced Grealish’s output, not the player himself.

I’d be shocked if we didn’t bring in another attacking player to play alongside Buendia and Bailey in that front three behind either Watkins or Ings. 

As things stand, all we’ve done is substituted our over reliance on Grealish with Buendia.

We need another creative player otherwise there’s no chance we’ll finish in the top 10 this season (In my opinion). 

We don't need to replace individuals if the output is replaced. Personally I don't think we NEED another creative player to get top 10, if we buy one then cool but i'd start to question how we will keep everyone happy it's not like we are in Europe and need to rotate.

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I understand with Ings but Watkins came from the Championship and was looking for a chance to play in the PL. I can't imagine he had the profile at the time to be demanding a starting role in every game

Spurs had serious interest in him. He could have gone and sat on their bench. 

40 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I don't understand why so many people are trying to cram Watkins and Ings into the same starting line up. If we go our usual 'one up top' formation, we simply rotate them as starters (or select, based on opposition weaknesses), keeping them fresh and providing us with a plan b when games aren't going too well.

Just because you sign a player, doesn't mean they need to go straight into the starting XI every week, irrespective of how much they cost to buy. Top clubs have benches where every single player on it is worth £20m~30m minimum.

Quite true but Ings could potentially get us 20 league goals this season and if Watkins with his work gate can get another 15, then as long as we get our defensive side of our game right the potential of finishing top 6 is good.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why the hell would Werner come to us? He could play Champions League football for his choice of football clubs, no chance he'd come here even if his time would limited at Chelsea which I'm not sure will even with the acquisition of the big man!

Lukaku is the only reason I threw it out there mate, however I had also forgotten that they have sold Tammy.

Long shot ( I.E no chance in hell ) but i've always liked him as a player, and think he is more of a wide forward than a striker.

for what it's worth, Tottenham always seem to sign him in Fifa Career Mode. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Corentin Tolisso as the rumoured CM who is reportedly hard to obtain   … He’s available for €10 mill … 

That would be a quality signing if he is over last year's injuries. I think there would be a lot of competition for him and from some big clubs too

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I wouldn't want to spend too much on Cantwell, I would be more in the 25m bracket. But I think he is a good player and he is the type of player that should increase in value and we should be able to sell him on. One thing that appeals to me about Cantwell is his relationship with Emi and that may help to get Emi up to speed a little quicker. 

I think he’s an ok player but I don’t think he’ll increase in value.  I just don’t see potential there to be better than what he is now and given where we are as a top 10 hopeful team, I don’t think it would be a wise 25m spent because he’s not that level in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That would be a quality signing if he is over last year's injuries. I think there would be a lot of competition for him and from some big clubs too

Tolisso hasn't managed a full season of Bundesliga games (34) in his last 3 seasons combined (31).  Big risk.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Tolisso hasn't managed a full season of Bundesliga games (34) in his last 3 seasons combined (31).  Big risk.

Hence the cheap price I’m guessing … worth a shot … 

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Corentin Tolisso as the rumoured CM who is reportedly hard to obtain   … He’s available for €10 mill … 

No thanks mate, we can have Ward-Prowse for 40m.

But seriously, if it is any way possible we should be going all out to get him. For that price he's more than worth the risk of being injured sometimes, we bought Marvellous for 11m.

31 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

We don't need to sell him, no. But selling him would be a great opportunity to sign an upgrade. 

but that's the problem, we aren't yet at a level where we can spend 20-30 million on players to sit on the bench. You can argue that if we had players of that calibre we can rotate more, but I am talking about players who wouldn't always even make the bench.

26 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Where did that come from?

Seen him being linked the Man United, Arsenal and West Ham but nothing Villa.