Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

We have to remember we were not that far off points wise from the champions league spots arguably could’ve snuck into the final spot had Grealish stayed fit… ironically he didn’t and we fell short (so basically it’s Grealish’s fault we missed champions league).

But now we have added Buendia, Bailey and Ings… reckon there’s at least 12 extra points between the 3 of them alone..

We are going to be closer to champs league than some think. 

Edited by Tommo_b

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

How I see the new campaign :

• Defence.....Good, confident.
  • Midfield......Lets See what happens.
  • Forwards....Formidable.

European football.....NO.

Ahhhhh you almost had it till the last word, damn you and your sensible posts. You need a talking to chap.

4 hours ago, hippo said:

I keep hearing this theory and I'm really not convinced.

Sure the skill set or more evenly spread across the team. However we are a superstar down. Those with an even skill set might not have what it takes to tilt a close game in our favour like Jack could. No complaints about the players signed - Buendia in particular looks like the best we could get a jack replacement. But don't accept we are better without Jack.

Argentina have had Messi for well over a decade, superstars on their own do not win you stuff, they needed Emi to win Copa America! 😁

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Honestly I don't personally care that much for Europe. What excites me most is the togetherness, the quality of the football we're (hopefully) gonna play and the prospect of our outstanding youth players breaking through. 

E. Don't confuse excitement with expectation!

I'd  be happy enough  with all of that.  And funnily  enough, I think Grealish leaving  makes all of that more likely 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Realistically how are we going to shift Wes and Connor for example? I think we need a solid cm different to Sanson/McGinn/Luiz. Anything else would be a bonus. 

I think we can get loan offers for both. We could probably sell Conor to a champ club as well.

56 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I don't think Smith's comments exactly suggest we're done this window and I definitely don't think Purslow's did. The latter was talking purely in terms of replacing Grealish, backed up by the fact that Tuanzebe was signed afterwards. Smith just said he was happy with the squad currently and essentially just didn't outright state "yeah we desperately need a midfielder in" as it wouldn't exactly be wise for him to do so publicly.

Agreed. He's not going to come out and say to the world that we're desperate for another signing.

If I take Purslow's pre transfer window interview that we were a couple of key players short last season, then I feel that we aren't done. Ings, Bailey, Buendia replaced Jack as he stated. So based on that, we're still a couple of key players short. Maybe you could argue it's now just one if we accept that in reality Buendia was signed  before we knew Jack was going, and Ings/Bailey we're the actual replacements

Hence, unless they class Young or Tuanzebe as the other key player we are short, then I feel like they're should still feel we are one key player down.

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think we can get loan offers for both. We could probably sell Conor to a champ club as well.

EFL clubs have no money and he would probably have to take at least a 50-60% cut in wages. Loan at best.

Big Wes I thought would spend some time here this season to build up his confidence and build up some game time. However with the Ings signing and the red card in the warm up game I wonder if the club is thinking about cutting their losses. 

Given our net spend in this window, and the relative inactivity of some of our potential competition this season, I think it will be a huge missed opportunity if we don't take advantage of the situation we find ourselves in. The midfield still needs something else in there to even make us a Top 8 team.

I don't think we're done in this window, but I think we'll regret it if we don't strengthen arguably our weakest part of the squad.

12 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

We have to remember we were not that far off points wise from the champions league spots arguably could’ve snuck into the final spot had Grealish stayed fit… ironically he didn’t and we fell short (so basically it’s Grealish’s fault we missed champions league).

But now we have added Buendia, Bailey and Ings… reckon there’s at least 12 extra points between the 3 of them alone..

We are going to be closer to champs league than some think. 

We got 55 points last season (and that was with Grealish missing 13 games - 1/3 of the season). 

You’d think we could probably improve by 5 points to have 60 points.  60 points would get us 6th, 7th, 7th, 8th, 8th in the previous 5 seasons.

An improvement of 7 points, would give us 62 points, which would have us finishing 5th, 7th, 7th, 7th, 7th in the previous 5 seasons.

An improvement of 10 points to 65 points, would have got us 5th, 7th, 6th, 7th, 6th in the previous 5 seasons.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

EFL clubs have no money and he would probably have to take at least a 50-60% cut in wages. Loan at best.

Big Wes I thought would spend some time here this season to build up his confidence and build up some game time. However with the Ings signing and the red card in the warm up game I wonder if the club is thinking about cutting their losses. 

And he might do still. Could understand why he would leave, but an injury to either Watkins or Ings would mean no striker to  bring on if we're  chasing a game  or need to change shape (at least until Davis is fit). I'd prefer to keep him around until  January 

We have lost six bodies - Heaton, Elmo, Taylor, Engels, Barkley/Hourihane and Jack - possibly 8 if you count Trez and Davis who are both out but could be offset by the return of Wes if he is retained and only bought in five plus a returning Freddie at this stage.   

I think we need:

• a proper DM that can also carry the ball forward - haven't seen enough of any of the supposed targets (Doucoure, Sarr or Anguissa) to know whether they are the combined Nakamba/Luiz that we need.  I also think this would allow Ramsey to go out on loan to a top championship side and get 30+ starts which is what he really needs imho at this stage in his development.
  • a LW to replace Jack - Correa or Damsgaard - and I would be happy to see El Ghazi sold (optimal value time with two years left on his contract and a decent goal scoring season behind him), allowing JPB to be the cover on the LW (from what I have seen he adds more than El Ghazi anyway).  Correa can also play striker if we need.

Might also be useful to bring in experienced cover at keeper to allow Sinisalo to go out and play.

This would give us three keepers, eight defenders (two for each position), two DM's (new + Nakamba), 4 x 8/10's (if I include Emi in here), four wingers and three strikers (unless Wes goes out) plus the kids which feels about the right size of squad to me?? 

3 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Sending out Wes on loan with recall potential in January seems sensible to me. Traore/ AEG could step up short term it we lost both Ings and Watkins.

I agree but it's tough because who would have him where he'll play much?

Certainly no PL sides. He'd hardly stand out in the championship and would fall out of most XIs in about three weeks.

12 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I agree but it's tough because who would have him where he'll play much?

Certainly no PL sides. He'd hardly stand out in the championship and would fall out of most XIs in about three weeks.

Turkey. Even Sturridge managed to get a move there before his ban.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

If it's the latter, they're in for a rude awakening. It's VERY difficult to progress when you have a negative net spend. 

You’re right of course, but a way to progress with a negative spend is have one massive outgoing and get the existing players to improve. Our massive outgoing is obvious - record British transfer - and last year we had the youngest squad in the league so we might expect improvement over time.

If Douglas Luiz has a big year, as in develops into the Champions League-quality player I believe he has the potential to become, then we are in for an excellent season. I’m very happy with our back five and think the front four have plenty of goals in them. If Doug “does a Konsa” and matures, we are firing.

2 hours ago, RichiBoi11 said:

3 per game as per usual, but expanded to 9 on the bench.

That’s another advantage to those teams  with quality in depth. I don’t think we’re quite ready to stop with recruitment just yet this window. 

• Like 1